1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Performance question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by dmassey, Dec 9, 2008.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

From Redline

V-Twin Primary Case Oil

Red Line’s new V-twin Primary Case Oil is designed specifically for ’84-to-present V-Twin American motorcycle engines, including aftermarket engines of similar designs. Similar to our MTL, this product is for use in the primary chaincase with wet-diaphragm spring clutches.

Designed to operate over a wide temperature range, this Primary Case Oil improves clutch operation while reducing wear and temperature. Where most synthetics are too slippery for clutch operation, this friction-balanced product is balanced to provide less slip, smoother operation, and helps to apply more power in modified engines.

Red Line Oil: Gear Lubricants
  2. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Well, they couldn't be much more specific than calling it "V-Twin" primary case oil. I think I'll go with that. Thanks so much FLHT.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

used to get redline MTL for the primary...
  4. grandpa tom

grandpa tom New Member

Agree with U FLHT on syn oil in clutch being to slick (IF) it is reg car motor oil (it has extra moly in it for friction) but if it is oil made for motorcycles then U should be ok, like moble I v=twin, ect.

the oil search is ongoing and is in my oponion never going to be solved as per say, their are a lot of really good oils out there for bikes and if a person does regular maintenance they should not have any serious problems if they treat their motor with respect..
  5. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

drove 3 different bikes 40,000 miles in 3 yrs. Used only synthetic oil in all 3 holes. Not had a problem with anything related to oil failure.
    Don't think you will see many oil related failures if you change yer oil on time.
    Synthetic oil will reduce friction,heat and wear.
    Change my oils and filter on a schedued maintenance. And I've build one of the engines and got parts for a build on the engine I have now. Deceiding on the tuner to go with.

With HD new synthetic oil, they use it in all 3 holes.
  6. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Harold,
    At what range was the throttle response added, low, mid, high, all?
    Thanks,
    Danny
  7. HaroldDillard

HaroldDillard New Member

Throtle response was better in all gears, although less noticeable in sixth. Harold. Can anyone who reads this have a suggestions or a resolution to the 5th gear wine in the newer Harleys?:gah:
  8. FLHTbiker

Redline shook proof oil in the trans. will help a lot. Other than that their is nothing you can do except to have the straight cut 5th gear replaced with an aftermarket gear. I run Redline in my 09 Ultra trans. and it shifts better and the trans. runs quieter. The 07 I had, the 5th gear was very noisy and drove me nuts until I changed to Redline oil. It didn't stop it but did help quiet it down.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  9. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Harold,
    I was told when I bought mine that the 5th gear whine was supposed to be much less in the 09's due to being helical cut rather than straight cut as they have in previous years. I don't know that there is a resolution - just the nature of the beast.
    Danny
  10. hotroadking

What you hear with 5th is that the other gears are helical cut and quieter, HD's have always had straight cut gears,

Now with noise regulations from the EPA they look to make them quieter, one of the ways, chain drive cams, then helical gears, won't be long, water cooled to jacket the cyl to lower temps, lower noise (but the side effect will be more power! and cooler thighs LOL)

Redling Heavy Shockproof oil will help.
  11. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I ordered my Redline oils on line. Can't wait for them to arrive and see if they help with my shifter.
  12. FLHTbiker

Hellboy, once you change give it a few miles and then it will or should shift better. My 09 tranny shifted like what you described on yours and is now starting to shift better. I changed it to Redline at my 1000 mile service last month. Its already getting better and finding neutral is much better now. I use Redline in my 01 Springer, shifting is great and smooth and used it in my 07 Ultra that I sold.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  13. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Cool. That's good to hear FLHT, thanks.
  14. cardboard

These new bikes will do a lot of funny things till you git them broke in. They are tight and you have to wind the gears up. Its hard to keep the rpms up and git into 6th gear. This is part of breaking a new bike in. The more miles you git on it the better it will start running and the smoother it will run.
    When yer tryin to find neutral let out on the clutch a little as you are lookin for it.
    When you git 5000 miles on the bike it will start breaking in better, after like 12,000 miles its even better.

Just take yer time and keep the rpms over 2000
    :cool:
  15. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Good break in info cardboard. You mean our Heritage is going to actually do better than it is already doing at 800 miles? I've had mine to be a bit stubborn to find neutral a couple of times and a harley mechanic told me to goose the engine a couple of times and that would help the clutches to release. The best thing that works for me, when I can remember to do it, is to shift in to neutral before I come to a stop. Probably becasue the belt is still turning some of the tranny gears. Have a GREAT day folks and enjoy a ride when you can - life gets wa-a-a-y too serious.
    Danny
  16. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Will do, Cardboard, thanks.
  17. hotroadking

I think we dun been punked!
  18. cardboard

Be glad its hard to find neutral, You won't miss a gear then and slip into neutral.
    When you let out on the clutch and pull it back in it might help find neutral. Just take yer time and break yer bikes in.

And at 800 miles on yer herritage its bearly past the 1st oil change.
    It's tight as heck. Being tight makes it put off more heat too.
    Its runnin lean from the factory but will cool off just a little when its broke in.

My tranny on a couple bikes acted up pretty good, it would even jump out of gear everynow and them.
    After it broke in everything dissapeared.

The more miles you git on yer bike the better yer gonna like her.
    I changed my oil the 1st time at 300 miles and again at 1500 miles on top of that and again at 2500 on top of that.
    At 5000 miles I had a new set of plugs in it.

New bikes are nice but they are tough on breakin em in. I felt like it was when I got over 10,000 miles when my bike started feelin like I wante it to.
    It was loose enough that it didn't seem like I was lugging it when I was around 2000 rpm. before I had to keep it at around 2400 and up for it to sound right.
    A tach on a bike really helps break a bike in too.
    If I didn't have a tach I would go to the dealer and git one put on. They got some nice ones that fit on the handle bars.:D
  19. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

It's reassuring to hear about the various break in experiences here, thanks guys.
  20. Fatboy09

Fatboy09 New Member

I think that you can look at an increase around 5-10% horse power with a Stage One upgrade. Probally with a 96 ci engine you are looking at 5-7 HP. That is not a big increase but you will feel a big increase in response. It is a whole lot more fun when accelerating on the interstate. I just had a stage one upgrade on my 09 Fatboy I wasn't blown away by the performance, but it was definitely worth it. Two things to consider, one- If you are planning any more mods you might want to go with a sert or power commander auto tune instead of a flash for the remap. HD charges 149.95 per flash. A sert is 450.00, two- You may get a better sound and performance from something like V&H pipes instead of SE slipons IMO.
    Good Luck
    09 Fatboy