1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Planning a trip, Advice? Route? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by RegnisnuM, Feb 8, 2012.

1. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Somebody must have changed the wheels on that bike before you got it Fatboy. They originally were 17" both front and back, and were fitted with radials in 2007 to present.

Metzelers are OK, but I think they are about the same as Dunlops--only much more expensive. Michelins are quite a bit less money than Metzelers.
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

My Fatboy is an '05 model and although I have Thunderstars now I still have the original 16" solid fatboy wheels. By the way, ordering from Dennis Kirk the Metzelers are a lot less than dealer and Indy Dunlops!
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I went with the Elite tires front and rear on an older bike that had the 402 on it. Got 12,000 on the rear.
  4. Fatboy128

I couldn't find a 150x16 FRONT in the Elite! Plenty of 16" rears, very little 150x16 FRONTS!!!!!
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Depends where I get my metzlers from but there $20-30 either more or less then dunlops & I like the way they handle in water & tar snakes
  6. Fatboy128

I'm going with cowboy and the metzelers. Like I said earlier Metzeler on my tires would personalize my bike!
  7. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Have dealt with Dennis Kirk. Very happy. Free shipping, Odrered on Mon. tires at my door Wed.
  8. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I like the Avon Speedmasters I have. Retro tread and they track really well.
  9. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Not sure if the guy who started this post is still checking it, but I did write a book on the subject. :D

Actually, I changed a lot on my second cross-country trip. Took a lot less stuff, did a lot less planning, had an extra 30,000 miles on the bike and still made it home alive.

No reason to skip the mountains in the middle of August. I rode out from New Hampshire and moved to Colorado after riding in the mountains here. If that doesn't say something, I don't know what would. :roflmao:
  10. alex the dog

Good to see you here again Abby. Yup, you would be the person to ask about taking a long ride out West. I know everyone has an opinion on what's best to bring or what road to try, but the correct answer is "How adventurous are you?" Glad to see you still have that great sense of adventure.

Loved your book and was wondering if there is a sequel in the works?
  11. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I think so. I just became a member of Sober Souls MC, something I never thought I'd do, and I couldn't be happier. A lot of my story is struggles with relationships, and being in this club helps with that. I don't have to be with someone to fit in with the group. It's a battle being a single woman who loves to ride and the lifestyle as much as I do. Not complaining or saying it should be different, but it's hard to find my place. It's really interesting, and I think a good sequel to the book.
  12. alex the dog

I guess I don't understand your battle of being single. If you are already single, isn't life easier doing what you love without worrying about a disapproving partner? The problem has always been trying to find someone who shares your passion but is also compatible enough to be in a relationship. That's a tough one, and one that I would leave alone without the search engine (dating services) running.

To all you guys who's wife lets you ride anytime and anywhere, AND still loves you--you are very lucky. If she wants to ride along with you--you are blessed.

Forget about the stereotypes Abby. Just enjoy what you have and what you do, and someone will be there for you when you least expect it.

"Life According To Dr. Alex"
  13. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I guess I am very blessed then, wife let's me ride when I want and many times rides her own with me. Different story with the first wife, that was living hell.
    Abby, you don't have to worry about your place, shoot girl your in it and looks like enjoying life very well. It's hard finding someone that shares what you like and it's nice when you find aomeone that just flows right with you. Your doing OK Abby, any guy should feel proud to be with you.
  14. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

See, that's not what I mean at all. I'm fine being single. The holidays totally sucked though. Completely alone. Seeing my married friends on Facebook going here and there, and me sitting at home or going out to dinner alone. Now I know I can make a call or two, and I've got someone to ride with or meet out somewhere. The point is I can still be single, but I don't have to be alone. I know if I need help, I've got it. I love it.

OK, this has gone totally off subject... :roflmao:
  15. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

16. alex the dog

That's OK Abby--we'll go anywhere you want to.
  17. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Yeah, but the poor new guy who started the thread is probably :rant:

:roflmao:
  18. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Oh, he probably got all the advice he needed. Besides, I don't recall any conversation I've ever been in that stayed on the same subject for long!

I am one those fortunate people who have an understanding wife when it comes to riding. She only asks that I remember to take my cell phone along on rides.:cool:
  19. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Maybe he's on his trip/ride already?
  20. RegnisnuM

RegnisnuM New Member

Haha, I haven't looked back in a while and finally had a chance to read everything. This thread has taken some turns. I don't mind at all. Since the last time I've posted(I think) I've gotten Crash bar, highway pegs, a windshield(which I'm still trying to adjust correctly). First time I've had one and been trying to figure out the best adjustment for it. So far it seems like I'm going to have to angle it so that my head is still exposed to the wind but it gets rid of the parachute affect on the highway. I got some throw over saddlebags and a duffle bag for the back. Since I just bought the bike a few months ago I'm not sure if I'm going to need new tires. Any idea what the tread should be at before I leave? Am I just going to have to get new ones to be on the safe side? I know I'm going to have to change the chain before I go and I still need to get a camelback since that seems to be a good idea. I might end up going by myself since my friends seem to be complaining about finances and not having enough for the trip. Bad idea doing it alone? I might be meeting up with someone in colorado for the remainder of the ride to los angeles but thats not 100% yet. I hooked up a pigtail and cigarette charger for my phone and gps. Since I'll be alone I'm debating whether or not to camp out very often or at all since I'm not very experienced at it. Still have 5 months to plan and do all the maintenance before I go.