1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Possible New Bike

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

A real good looking bike , & harleysLR is right , you still have kids to raise , so save the extra 20 k & ride this one , ask ole CB how much he has spent on his bike totol even buying it & nall the extras he's put on it so far , I just bet it's a heck of a lot more then then it worth :eek:
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

:D, but it has ThunderMax. :D
  3. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

One day johnny you may realize just how good of a tuner a Thunder-Max is.
    I've had more than one and helped put them on more than 10 bikes.
    Not one person is unhappy with the tuner.
    A real good buddy just ordered one after over 5 yrs.
    He's had more than one shop tell him to leave the Power Commmander and go to it.
  4. JohnnyBiker

That very well is possible that it is a good tuner, but I just don't have the money to put it on a dyno or to pay someone to map every time I make a change to something.

Just curious, how much have you invested in this new bike outside of the purchase price of your new bike? PIpes, tmax, etc. Please include the shop time to have someone throw the bike on the dyno and anything outside that is not stock on an already almost 30k bike....
  5. cardboard

With the TM it done not have to go on the Dyno,
    With the 18mm 02 sensors in the header pipes you screw Wide Band 02 sensors in that comes with the Thundermax.
    Run the 02 sensor wires down alone the right hand side of the frame. Unplug the stock ECM and Plug the Thunder-Max in. Reinstall the fuse and hook it up to a laptop comptuter.
    Install a Base map that's the closest to yer setup and initalize the TM and crank it
    From there you ride the bike and it tunes itself.
    On my bike since I don't have a lot of money.
    I bought a set of Fuel Moto stainless Header pipes, it comes with both size 02 sensors holes.
    I installed the fuel moto header pipes with the stock heat shields and stock mufflers and screw the 12mm sensors from the factory in and rode the bike.
    This way I got new header pipes with no cat and both size sensors.

Got a high flow air kit my buddy took off his 2011 SE SG and put it on my bike. The TM will automatically comensate for it.
    When I could save some more money up I got some Supertrapp Stout mufflers for it. Got them from Phrat performance for like 625.00
    So I have a Thunder-Max
    Fuelmoto header pipe
    High Flow air kit
    Supertrapp mufflers.

I changed the headlight out to a SE headlight and put xenon kit in it. and some headlight covers. But I don't buy a bike and not do anything to it.

I could of ridden it STock, but I like changing things and making it the way I want iti.
    Stock the bike had a lot of power for a 103.
    Most folks that git a new bike don't realize when they are brand new they are tight , and you need to give them time to break them in.
    When they git over 5000 miles on them they start to run smoother and gittin better fuel milage and you can feel even more power.
    I've notised that with the new style tires, I have 7700 miles on the tires and they are showing little wear. With the wide back tire Dunlop come out with they put a harder compound in the center of the threads.
    If you want to save money don't git a bike.:rant:
    My life is my bike and what I do to it. Me and the OL ride it everychance we can git. We leave and ride and go somewhere like Waffle house and eat breakfast, or ride somewhere and eat at a Mexican Resturant.:gah:
    On my 08 bike within 6000 miles I would be puttin a new tire on back.
    You have to realize that I havea TBW bike, The thunder-max cost more for a tbw bike. I paid 850.00 for the Thunder-Max with Auto Tune for TBW.
    Put in on the bike, installed the Wide band 02 sensors and a high flow air kit.
  6. JohnnyBiker

So you spent an extra 3-4k on your upgrades??
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

So are you getting this bike or we still discussing it? ;)
  8. JohnnyBiker

I am still looking, but this bike is high on the list, I may wait and get an 011 FLHX;)
  9. JohnnyBiker

Hot Rider and I have been talking a little bit and she is more in favor of buying a new 011. I was shocked at this but it probably is the better way to go. I told her what I would all have to do to the other the 98 and compared the pricing and she agreed that it probably would be better to buy new.. Just saying, nothing in stone just yet...
  10. FLHTbiker

In the long run I think you would be much happier. You don't have to put any fuel management system on it as its pretty good the way it is.
  11. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

and new has a warranty, just get on and ride, and a color you like,
  12. cardboard

you ain't learn'd much in school
    CAn't even count

825 tm
    75 air kit used
    625 muflers
    425 Header pipes
    Thats a little over 1925.00

But you can make it whatever figures you want.

I could of left it STOCK androde it.
    You can look at any excuse you need to buy any bike you want. It will be yer bike not nobody elses.
    But after you own a bike for a few years. what then, look where yer gonna be and if yer gonna still be happy with it.

Or I could of just got some header pipes for a 09 bike and put a TM on it and rode it

I am not going to own a bike and not change things on it.. Period.

Look at the interest rate and the amount of payments yer gonna be paying.
    And what you need to fix on it to make it right for you.:rant:
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

JB there are SIGNIFICANT changes from a 98 to an 11. If you are going to buy on the 11 is the way to go. Or an 09 in a few months will be 3 model year old not cat in header and all the upgrades of the 11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. cardboard

The 12 Touring bikes are in the Hd Dealer Floor.
    Stopped in to pick up a part today and seen a Ultra and a Ultra Limited.

All the 12 Touring bikes has 103's. They put out 102 ft Lbs of torque at 3500 rpm.
    Nice change from a 96cu in a 09. Not to mention the 09's don't turn as sharp.

Would you take out the 103 in yer RG Ultra and put a 96 motor in it.

No 96cu motors in touring bikes any longer.

So would you rather have a 96 or a 103 motor.:rant:

Would you take the 103 out of yer RGU and run with a 96 ci motor.
  15. cardboard

Johnny if'n you can't make up yer mind on which model bike you want.
    The 2012 touring bikes are on the floors at the dealers. The other models will be on the floor within a week to a week and a half.
    After this Hd will be doing Demo Days.
    Sign up for Demo days at Several dealers and go take yer wife and ride the new bikes as many times as yer heart desires.
    Mabe it will help you make a decesion on which bike might be for you.
    I've done Demo days many , many, many times a year for years.:rant:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_...c|google|TRAINING|harley demo&version=desktop
  16. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

I did the same thing riding all the bikes (including CVO's) in the Demo fleet many times. Not impressed with the power of the CVO's and was hot for a V-Rod for awhile, but came home with a StreetGlide. That 96" just felt sweet.
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I would go 09 unless I wanted a brand new bike as I can drop a 106 piston kit in from S&S and a set of 551 or 583 cams and walk away from a 12 with 103 for thousands less.

Right now if I Was going new I would find an 11 at a discount and have a hd 103 w se255 cams put in and save big $$$ over a 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. JohnnyBiker

Cause I know you are lying!!!:gah:
  19. JohnnyBiker

I am pretty much set on an 011 FLHX if I buy new.

HRK, can you explain better about the cat. Which bike did you take that out of??
  20. FLHTbiker

JB, in 09 the cats were in the mufflers and in 10 and 11 there are now in the crossover header. That is one reason why I put the V&H header on my 2011, no cat. 2009 you just change out the mufflers. Hope that helps.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.