1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Possible New Bike

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

OK, go out and get on his Sprtster right in front of him, put your feet up and let it fall over, he'll get it then :D
  2. Hot Rider

Hot Rider Active Member

:roflmao:
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yep...$1500 accessory pack would make it a wash...unless you could get an accessory pack with a Classic;)...Was just giving you something to think about...that you could get a geezer glide and strip it down and you could have about 1500 in free accessories...and if you wanted to go on a road trip,you have the luggage space already there...you'd be stuck with the spots and you'd need to keep the rear crash guard on for bag mounting,but if you can deal a matched tour pak for the SG...well then,no brainer....:D
  4. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Some folks mistakenly think that a StreetGlide is just a stripped EGlide. From a distance....maybe, but there are lots of differences if you really look close.

First, there are over 25 lbs less of chrome trim. The chrome accessories that are present are completely diff. from an EGlide: handlebars, fuel tank console, turn signals both front and rear, license plate holder, foot boards, mirrors, gauges. Not to mention the lowered suspension front AND rear, diff. TourPak mounts, tail light, etc. All these things may not matter to some, but the whole package is designed to be lighter and look sportier. Isn't that the reason for doing a bobber?

Think of a StreetGlide as a Camaro Z28 instead of the fancier RS or SS models.

And a 2 into 1 exhaust puts out far more ponies than a dual system.

Attached Files:

5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I went to go look at the two bikes, an Eglide classic and the Street Glide. I kept an open mind like my southern brother Cowboy suggested and the outcome is the same. I also am now thinking that I may not even mess with the tour pack and just put a backrest on it similar to what Alex has on his StreetGlide.

It comes down to this for me guys, throughout this thread we have talked about a lot of different things, practicality being one of them. It isn't practical for me to buy a bike that has a heated seat, heated grips, cruise control and other things like that. Why, because it is way colder up here in Minnesota than what it is in Texas, there is no way that I am going to be riding in cold enough weather to where I need that stuff, I would just be throwing my money away, just to say that my bike has that stuff??? Makes no sense to me. As we have heard from Hot Rider, she does not like the confined feeling that the tour pack gives her, so I am going to listen to this request and not force it. As far as I am concerned, if I am going to be taking a long trip, there are plenty of alternatives to carry cargo. Look at the second picture of Alex's bike in the above thread.. At least I can take this stuff off when it isn't needed and without buying any extra hardware to do it.

I thought about it hard today. I would rather spend the money on a bike that I LIKE. And the FLHX is the bike, no need to slam it, no need to do anything really, it is a perfect fit, just get on and ride.

Since I am a performance junkie, I would put a SERT on it, different pipes, probably a RSD air cleaner and some better cams. Now that is what I call P[ERFECTION!!
    :D
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Then again, with a detachable kit the tour pack comes off and a backrest pops on for cruising and you can get a plate to move the tour pack back up to 2 inches for more room
    for HR to stretch out.

Once you get a tour pack you will not go back to never having one, too convenient to put stuff up and take out easy...

BTW get a classic or the chopped tour pack and the RG center pad without the arms and speakers and she won't get the closed in feeling...

Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | HD Tourpak | 800-538-7035
  7. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Go sign up at a couple HD dealerships for Demo days. You can do it on the computer. Then go ride the bikes. Do more than one demo day if you can.
    And you can ride the same bike over and over.
    Then go rent one for a day and put Hotrider on it with you.
    Now go rent the other for a day. Git in the interstate and some back roads.

This will answer a lot of questions you have already deceided on.

This is a great option HD offers to you before you git a bike to help you made decesions.

Seen a lot of folks that has did it and was well glad they did.:cussing:
  8. cardboard

Got a EGS, had a detachable back rest. It was nice. Found a brand new tourpack somebody took off that was the same color as my bike.
    Got the quick release.
    Took it off and put theback rest on. Would git somewhere and need to bring something home.
    Wound up puttin the tourpac on.
    Evertime I took it off I put it back on. My wife got used to the wrap around arms on the tourpac, it helped hold her in place when we was in curves.
    Got a back rest. She was saying there wasn't enough room for her.
    I just rode with it. Now if I take the back rest out that she holds on to or whatever she says ain't you gonna put yer back rest in.

You never know what all you can usea tourpac for till you git one.
    Andlet me tell you they are nice.

Chucktx put one on his bike. he git the bracket for it from me.
    See if he took it off. :rant:
    After you ride with a tourpac for a while you start to say, a bike just don't look right without a tourpac.
    Now FLHT might just argue with me on that....:roflmao:
  9. JohnnyBiker

Cardboard, my dealership keeps a special demo fleet so I do not need to sign up for a single thing. I can just pop in and ride as many bikes as I would like in a day. As I have said, I have already taken out an FLHX, I am somewhat familiar with what it feels like and the power that the 103 is capable of. The StreeGlide would be the only bike that I would be interested in demoing anyways, so since I have already taken the bike out, kind of a waste of time..:gah:
  10. cardboard

I'm sayin demo it for a day with yer wife on back, Not just you and just down the street.
    I understand everything yer saying. And I understand more than you will realize.:cussing:
    And I've listened to a heck of a lot of folks who got a bike, and how they felt later on.
    Been riding for a long time Redneck. Not trying to make a decesion for you.
    Tryin to make sure everythin you do that you have done more than enough homework.
  11. cardboard

Re: Possible New g.Bike

Johnny a few years ago, I went to the dealer and sit on a FLHX and set on a EG. Liked the SG a heck of a lot better. Nearly bought one, but I started studying more.
    Did a super lot of homework. And rode both bikes over and over and over.
    Look the SG has foot pegs on the back, no floorboards. Hotrider ain't gonnalike this as much after riding all day. Trust me on this one.
    Look the SG don't have any crash bars for the saddlebags.
    Priced any saddlebags lately that are color matched.

And I got several buddies, one down the street with a 2010 SE Streetglide.
    Take the bike out at Night. You will notise a huge difference that in the daytime you will not notise. During the daytime you will like the bike without it.
    Now after this past winter he wishes he had of waited and gotten the 2011 SE SG, it has hard lowers and he wants heated hand grips.
    He rode my bike with the Heated handgrips. He really was supprised after he said he didn't need em.

And I been listening to everybody talk but NObody has mentioned it.
    The EG has RUNNING LIGHTS.
    Watched my buddy with the SE SG go crazy trying to put Headwinds running lights on his bike. They still ain't as bright as mine.
    Heated grips, you ain't never had any so you know nothin about them.
    On the SG that my buddies has owned the wiring is in the handlebars.
    Last time we checked they don't have the wiring, nor heated handgrips for internal wiring on a SG.
    When my OL rode on the different SG I took out. when we hit a big bump in the road it hurt her back and she tole me about it everytime. I could hear her make a noise.
    Price a detachable kit for a backrest, not price the backrest. You might be supprised.
    Now price a tourpac, not price the detachable kit for the tourpack
    Wow.

When in a lot of traffic I couldn't git used to the mirrows on the front faring. Like them better on the handle bars.
    Also don't like the real short windshield.

These are just a few things for you to look at.
    But I know you want a Sports car.
    Mabe you should git a Corvette or a Mustang or a Camaro instead.:gah:

And Johnny I've heard everything everybody had to say till they bought a bike, then the tune changed.
    Remember its gonna be yer bike. But I want you to look at all the options.
    Yer not single, you got a OL to think about too.
    My OL has a 1200 cu sporster.
    But when I git on the highway she can't cruise with me.
    She perfers to be on back. She really, really has grown to like it there.
  12. JohnnyBiker

Re: Possible New g.Bike

One thing that you are absolutely wrong on dude is that the 012's do have the engine guard on as stock equipment. I hear ya on the footpegs too, however, there is something to be said that the driver is comfortable as well as the passenger. I do not like the floor boards when they are folded down, basically because they beat up on my calves, when HR isn't on the bike I could care less if it has floorboards or footpegs.
  13. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

what I want to know is what color we talking about?
    I don't care for the passenger floor boards either, pretty much the same reason as you, the ol don't care for them either. She like to hook her heals on the pegs to help hold her back.
  14. JohnnyBiker

As of now I am looking at the new blue that they have out. HR likes the 011 color of Sedona Orange, but the salesboob told me that they can't get that color anymore because there is a chemical that is in that paint that is only made by one company and that company is in Japan which got destroyed in the Tsunami...:banghead: Hot Rider said that she likes the foot pegs better as well.
  15. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I like that orange too, I was check'n one out the other day but I don't remember which shop I was at, not sure about the blue.
  16. JohnnyBiker

It is really nice if you can get the paint swatch into the sunlight, I do like the white one as well, anything but just plain black for me.

So Don, do you have any suggestions on what would be a good cam for a 103"?
  17. JohnnyBiker

18. FLHTbiker

JB, simply go buy the one you want as nobodies suggestions or ideas will sway you one way or the other. At least you went and looked at em both and so now get what you want. Have your dealer do a search if you really want that Orange color, they had one hear at our dealer last weekend Fly out ride it home.
  19. cardboard

If I can run down a few buddies, they bought those pipes and put them on their bikes. Within a month they took them off and went with new pipes.
    The TRue duals didn't work out good for power with them.
    There's a couple cycle shops here that dynoed em and they didn't like em.
    The other buddy is in Lousiana.
    They got tired of the sound from the mufflers too.
    If'n I can find they I will see what they want for em.
  20. FLHTbiker

I agree with you 100% but his mind is made up so your spinning your wheels. :( Lot better pipes out there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.