1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Possible New Bike

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

EVO's are generally bullet proof IF the maintenance is kept up on them. Although I know of a couple of guys who had 99's and had trouble with them. that was the last year for them, the mid 90's seemed to be there best years. I'd do like flht suggested get a TC, there are a ton of them out there with very low miles, we bought my wifes 02 in 08 with 324 miles on it for $13,250.00. Now its got 27,000 miles on it. We did have to change out the cam tensioner last year. Look around more, there are a lot of Fatboys and Heritages, same bike different accessories. Except FATBOYS RULE....... :D.........:fight:
  2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

watch out for the 99's as that was first year of twin cam and had tolerance issues?

3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads Up. I am not even considering this bike anymore...
  4. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

80ci Evo's rock and roll. Damned near bullet proof especially the last couple years. 5 speed, carb and low to no problems. I say any EVO from 84 thru 98 is a great bike. The twin cams all have higher levels of maintenance recquirements with the advent of the twin cam addition.

I also have a 2001 twinkie and when I bought it I immediately upgraded to the factory cam tensioner upgrade:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...cale=en_US&bmUID=1309564875900&bmLocale=en_US

I have a 1998 Ultra (95th anniversery edition) and I ride the heck out of it and no problemo's. I just really dislike EFI. I've never had a problem w/ a carb:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  5. JohnnyBiker

I understand that there are a lot of issues with the cam tensioner's with the TC's?

This Fat Boy would be a good project but I m not looking for that with my next ride, just something that is a nice reliable ride..
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Not that big of deal,once the spring loaded ones are worn out,replace with the SE Hybrid kit...cost is close to the same and you get a better oil pump with it.

You just described an EVO
  7. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Step into the 21 Century and get a twin cam, the more you learn about bikes the more you will like a TC. EVO's are great motors but TC's are even better. 80 mph all day, good fuel mileage. I wouldn't trade my TC for any EVO I ever had. TC's are smooth and quiet. If you insist on a Carb you can still find one. If you go EFI once you get a good fuel management system you're set and can do anything you like to it. JMO
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I agree the TC is rock solid and a great set up. I personally would not go backward to a EVO.
  9. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Wasn't 99 the 1st year of the Twin Cam

YouTube - ‪2011 Blackline‬‏
  10. FLHTbiker

11. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

12. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Dyna's as well had the TC in 99 bro in law still has his 99 TC redid the top end at 61 k but had the Cam bearing redone at about 200 hundred miles , recall factory
  13. JohnnyBiker

it all is futal at the moment, the wife and I just booted a client of hers, plus the MN government shutdown, then my buddy is going to trade in his 06 Heritage. :( He asked if I wanted it, I said yes but now is not the time for me to do it due to all that is going on. I guess I just might get that FLHX during the winter..:D
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

JB guess it was not right for Now , there's a reason for this , even thow you might not think so now
  15. JohnnyBiker

I could do it, but that is stretching a little further than what I am comfortable with.. He was kind of rubbing it in that he would have a new bike and I wouldn't. :rolleyes:

If he only knew.;)
  16. FLHTbiker

Did you say he was a friend and do you really want his hand me down now? With what is happening you are doing the right thing by not over doing it for your family at this time. Family is always first. There will be better bikes out there in the future and then you can rub it into him when you get your new ride. :)
  17. JohnnyBiker

:roflmao: No, I told him in the first place that I really wasn't ready for a financed bike until the winter anyways. Trust me, I have something in the works that will give me plenty of bragging rights over this R.U.B. any day and all day. :cool:
  18. JohnnyBiker

Oh, I forgot to say, This bike is a rather nice hand me down.. Real clean!!
  19. JohnnyBiker

What were the 05 SE Electra Glides 2 like?
  20. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I know they came with a 103 and lots of other goodies, have seen some bright yellow one and a nice red ones, don't know what other colors, they are still pretty pricie, not like a new limited but close.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.