1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Possible New Bike

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Were still makin payments on the 07 WG I had that I traded in.
  2. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

JB,
    Haven't been thinking about a different bike but this maybe to good of a deal to pass up.
    I'm goin' go look at this bike tomorrow,
    FLHTP 2007-
    103 ci
    30,000 miles
    $10,500.00
    Stock handle bars comes with it and some other goodies.

Attached Files:

3. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

There are some pretty good deals south of the border. I was at Sturgis, vacation cut short so had to hurry back. Black Hills HD cannot sell a new bike to a Canadian destination. I've heard that other dealers cannot as well, something of an agreement with Deeley imports [canadian distributor of HD] and Harley Davidson? Used is a different story. I test rode some new bikes, the 103 is a nice motor...lots of heat though compared to my old rig. I like the new bikes but i'm having a hard time justifying the difference it would take to get into a new bike, especially seeing that the old bike, while setting no land speed records, is a very good running motorcycle..much as I like the idea of a new one, I still like the idea of getting an FXR, this will be my wife's call on this.
  4. cardboard

The 07 bike wouldn't be worth much more than that. Its already 5 yrs old.
    07 was when they 1st come out with the 6 speed tranny. You have to wind the bike farther out before you can git in 6th gear.
    That year was known for the crank slippin if you tried to do much to the engine.

If you took the money you was gonna put in that and put it in a new bike you just might like the bike a heck of a lot more.
    They changed the gear ratio on the tranny, The Brembo brakes stop a lot better.
    On the new harleys they went up on the crank pressure that they are pressed together. Making the crank a better crank.
    The newer bikes has like a 4 or 5 point motor and tranny mount system to make the bike not wobble in the curves. Makin them more stable.
    New Harleys has the new frame and wider back tire
    I like the throttle by wire. Much easier for Cruise control and changing grips.
    The newer bikes are puttin out more torque.
    And with the 103 being standard on all 2012 bikes.

I traded bikes and kept workin and saving money till I had a good down pymt till I could git one.
    Really like my Ultra Limited
    You would have to sit down and look at all the differences.

Go ride a new bike at Demo days.
    But remember, they are tight motors cause they ain't broke in.
    You need to put 5000 miles on them before they start to loosen up some.
  5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Go for It!!:D
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

HarleysLR that's a goof looking ride & I really enjoy the cop bags over the regular ones I be running down the rode & just open one up reach in & grab what I need close it & keep going , when the wife rides with me she'll get in one & get the extra smokes out
  7. cardboard

Cop bikes are Stripped bikes. They didn't have as much stuff on them as a regular bike.
    And the wiring harness is stripped also, so trying to add things might cause a problem too.
    New a cop bike don't cost as much as a regular bike.
    I've seen 2009 cop bikes here for 15,000 and less.
    Go to a salesman that will tell you the truth if they know it.
  8. Panthera

Panthera New Member

I have to agree on this, before I purchased mine, I looked at a lot of used bikes. I think most people think their bike's chrome is really gold. If you find one in good shape with all the things you want on it, great, but if you are going to have to change it all anyway, might as well start from scratch.
  9. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

the new stuff is better, more complicated, more technologically advanced with all the good and bad that goes with it. It's hard to justify the extra money for the new bikes. I test rode a bunch of 103's at Sturgis..nice and yes they were new and tight so they were not hell for strong better than my stage 1 95 inch. I'm not sold on the 6 speed yet..for my application. The new frame appears to be more rigid than the older one. I put a true track on mine and it really helped the bike's stability. The new frame is slightly taller than the previous setup and it is a bit more of a reach from the seat to the bars. I like the abs and cruise but for me to go from a good running '04 to a '12 to get the 103, cruise and abs and part with 14 large..I'm not sure the value is there
  10. cardboard

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Had a 07 street Bob
    Had a 07 Harley put over 40,000 on it , no problems with all the stuff yer talkin about.
    Got a 08 EG put 48,000 on it.

Got a 2011 Limited, best bike yet.

Now there's 4 bikes with the 6 speed tranny.
    And I only got one question for you.

How the hell can you compare a Stock bike to a motor that has been built and compare it. You can't , but seems that everybody still wants to try to compare. Why.
    And building yer motor ain't cheap.
    Why have to git a bike and put a tranny stabilizer on it.
    The newer bikes comes with all that stuff.
    Start on the top and take off what you don't want'
    Don't start on the bottom and try to put what you want on it. This way cost more.
    Take yer bike back to Stock and see how it rides next to a new bike.

Newer bikes ride better than the older bikes.
    Don't think so go ride a 70 model and come forward. Better yet start with the Panheads and come forward.
  11. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I'll answer your question first. A 103 is a big bore 96 bolt on kit..stock cams , stock exhaust, you can stage one a 103 with air cleaner and pipes if you want. My 95 is a big bore 88 kit..stock cams, stock exhaust and a SE air cleaner and a download..so I'm comparing apples to apples here..this isn't a "built motor" I spent 1500 bucks at the time. Some of the newer bikes may be better but there is no way in hell that you'll ever tell me that a Dyna is better than an FXR for getting around corners..I've owned and ridden both. I'm not argung that the new touring bikes are not better, I'm just questioning the value.
    I'll stand by my statement about the need for a 6 speed for..get this..my application. The majority of my time on my Electra Glide i'm riding 2 up pulling a trailer. My motor is not heavily modified and with the stock cams it makes decent power at 3200 RPM's..this is at 70-75 miles per hour in fifth. to pull long hills I downshift to fourth and the bike pulls them nicely. the 6 speeds seem geared a little tall for me..just my opinion
  12. cardboard

Is yer stock 103 puttin out like 103 ft lbs of torque at 3500 rpms ?

Mine is stock.
    And I've rode about every harley made, I will be pretty close behind you when yer riding the curves.
    And when we git on the Major hiways, I will run 80 with ease and no stress on me or my bike.
    my 6 speed will be turning less Rpms than yer bike to.

I know that you can take a 88 cu motor and make a 95 cu but a 97 cu is better.
    And I know how to take a 96 cu and do a 103, but a 106 or 107 is a better motor.
    And I know to pick up the phone and call bob woods and tell him the build I want to do and he will tell me the best cam for the job.
  13. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I've never had this bike on a dyno. I'm not worried about numbers. I'm not concerned with lower rpm's at cruising speeds. I don't want to lug a motor and try to get it to run where it doesn't make power. I've been pulling trailers with Harleys for a while now and it has not been good trying to get the bike up a hill running less than 2800-3000 Rpms. My 89 inch EVO dyna didn't like being lugged my 2000 carbed Electra glide didn't like being lugged and this 2004 doesn't like being lugged. I have 70000 kilometres on this bike..most of them pulling the trailer. I have had to change the cam chain tensioner. The clutch is still good, the primary chain hasn't stretched that much ,there is no appreciable wear on the sprockets. There are a lot of good combinations for power out there. I just went with what was in the Harley catalogue...[with warranty] and learned how to ride it. i'm sure your bike is better than mine in every way..but it's not 14000 dollars better.
  14. cardboard

That did it 70000 kilometers
    I don't do kilo man
  15. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

sorry..that's 43,495.97 miles
  16. cardboard

My 08 EG had more than that on it
  17. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

you get to ride 12 months a year..I probably got more miles on my skis in 8 years than I do on the bike...:)
  18. cardboard

Where the heck do you live

And if you pull a trailer yer Limited to curves and all

Man I got 2 saddlebags, a tourpack and a tourpack rack and can pack enough for a week
    Try to stay at motel6
  19. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I'm about 2100 miles north west of you in Calgary. The trailer pulls pretty easy, corners are not too much of a problem. We camp and are on the road for a couple or three weeks at a time. The bike feels like a real rocket when i'm not pulling the trailer though.
  20. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

no you cant...........................your broke and retired.........:rolleyes:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.