1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Possible New Bike

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I'm ready to be real retired. But can't afford it.
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Hey Sleepy, I am with you on the 6 speed transmission. I think that they are worthless as well. I have test rode a lot of newer bikes now and I get off of each of them and say the same thing! "Man does that 6 speed SUCK!" I also agree with you that you need to build the bike around how you ride it the most. No sense of building a high HP engine if there is no real need for it. It sounds like you have your bike built for your purposes and needs, isn't that the way it should always be? :cool: Ride on brother!!!:D
  3. cardboard

You git on new bikes that ain't broken in and try to compare them to a bike that is broke in or has had modifications to them.

Just like trying to compare a build bike to a stock bike.
    You can't compare them.
    You need at least 5000 miles on a new bike for them to loosen up.

They are still tight and don't run as good, and they have a stopped up intake , exhaust system, thans to EPA.
    I can do less to my new bike to make it run better than yer older bike.
  4. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Sleepy,
    One thing I've learned here on bike talk is you'll never get the last word in with Cardboard. :banghead:
    The 07 I posted has ABS brakes on it, and I agree $14,000.00 is a big difference for a new one. Besides I don't need all the bling bling that a lot of guys need or want. Like you I really like my 05 95 inch, it's all mine and not partly owned by a mortgage company for 7 years. Like JB I'm not parting with it either. Just looking at options to add to the stable.
    Oh yea, my truck is 11 years old too. and all mine.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Ain't that the truth
  6. cardboard

Comin man
  7. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

;) can't fault a fella for trying though.
  8. Panthera

Panthera New Member

I pull a trailer with mine, Stage 1 96, and have no problem with hills in 6th ear at anything above 65. Below that I drop to 5th for the hills, or to pass. I am conscious of lugging on the engine, does not hurt the Engine, but is damned hard on the tranny and drive train. I loike the 6 speed for the long haul, even with the trailer.

Just my opinion. Thanks.
  9. cardboard

Didn't think they come out with ABS brakes till 08 with the Brembo brakes.
  10. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

cop bikes had them 07, but :wtf: do I know
  11. JohnnyBiker

Yeah, its not like you are looking at buying one huh??? :wtf:
  12. cardboard

So you think they come out with the ABS and Brembo on the cop bikes 1st.

Nah...........

Well it looks like the 1st offered them in 05 on Harley Police bikes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system
  13. JohnnyBiker

14. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

:roflmao:Well,you know it's damn near impossible to get the last word in...:roflmao: good luck on the cop bike...they are the best bang for the buck bike HD has...I'm with cowboy about the bags too,it's great to be able to get in them on the fly, I miss them because of the tour pak I put on,but my lil honey can log a lot more miles with the back support and arm rests so like everything...it's a trade off....but :wtf:do I know,I bought a Shovel:D:roflmao:
  15. cowboy

I put a tour pack on mine & still have the cop bags , they still work the same way , open on the fly & the wife can still enjoy the comfort & still reach her bag ;) best of both worlds
  16. JohnnyBiker

According to some people, if it isn't on a Limited, it is junk...:rolleyes:
  17. cardboard

A tourpac is one of the nicest things you can out on a Bagger, It gives you room to put things, and a nice backrest for the lady to lean against.
    And when its cool outside you got more room for sweatshirts, jackets, gloves, sunglasses, and whatever.
    If you go shoppin its nice to strap things down to the tourpac rack with a bungee cord.

I had a quick release on my last bike. Everytime I took it off and went somewhere, I needed it to put something in.
    And the OL likes it better than a tall back rest to lean against.
    Think she has like 4 to 5 hats back there. No telling what else.
    Oh yea, candy.
    Also gives you a higher place for running and brake lights on a Ultra.
    When I can git my bike paid off, I want the lights like Flea has that goes on a SE Ultra. Then you got runnin, brake lights and turn signals.
    Also like the Lighter plug in my tourpac. I can put my phone back there and charge it.
  18. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Did you add spacers to raise it??I was told in order to keep the cop bags on with a King tour pak I would have to raise it about an inch so the lid's would clear it when you open them, so I picked up a regular set of bags. I didn't try it first...
  19. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Hey Johnny, since this thread is about possible new bikes, have you looked at the 2012 Switchback?

They did an article on it in HOG magazine this month, and it really looks nice. It's in the Dyna family, but it's decked out for touring: hard saddlebags and windshield (quick release), has the big touring front end with special forks, big beautiful fenders and wheels.

The name is kinda dumb, but this bike looks great with OR without all the touring stuff. It's gonna list for $16k and I think it will be a winner.......check it out.
  20. cowboy

Yes I lifted it up about 1-1/2 in , used alum plate & counter sank the holes , I did a post in the project section about a year ago , My wife is 6ft & had her back messed up in a car wreck back in 05 & the big backrest did'nt work for her , Now she can ride for more then twenty miles with out have to get off & work it out
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.