1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Possible New Bike

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Lucifer your right , it seems there compairing apples to oranges here , fir close to 75 yrs no motorcycle had or needed all the sensors EFI or the rest of all the stuff that can short out or cost ya hundreds of dollars to fix , in cold weather you put on leathers & gloves to keep warm , you could lay a corner at some good speeds , I guess some riders just need that stuff
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Whoa there guy never said the EVO was junk that's words in your mouth not mine. The newer bikes are in fact built better than their predecessors which is just called improvements.
    There is nothing on a newer Harley that is like a Honda. You think those Goldwings and Valks don't have heat issues, try riding a Goldwing in hot weather and have those radiator fans kick in, cooks your lower legs. My 2011 limited has no noticeable heat issues any more than my 2001 springer, about the same.
  3. FLHTbiker

Seems tome your putting down those who buy a new bike, don't understand why but if you prefer a older bike and with a carb no problem for me, just ride what you like.
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Ok not junk...just unreliable...gotta spend a bunch of money on the engine, because why?? (underpowered or just keep breaking down).... spend more time wrenching than riding.... doesn't sound like they're very good...

A bolt in cam to wake them up doesn't cost a bunch of money, Evo cams are less expensive than TC cams

I think the list of problems with Evo's are a lot shorter than the list of problems with TC's

There are still a lot of problem free Evo's still on the road with well over 100,000 miles on them,lets hear from all the guys with the 100,000+ mile TC's that were problem free...if anyone keeps a bike that long anymore.

Had a guy here a couple of weeks ago with a stock '94 WG with only 90,000 miles on it, wanted to freshen it up with new rings and hone,(didn't need it, he just wanted to do it)repainted the engine too because it was fading...he pulled out of the garage and went straight to Laconia,a 3500-4000 mile round trip from here,never had one problem...guess he was just lucky:rolleyes:
  5. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Seems like lately a lot of threads are turning into mine is better than yours type of thing.:fight::cussing::banghead: it's kind of sickening!!!:puke: An't nothing wrong with a guy liking what he likes!!:D Some us like'm all.. :cool:
  6. FLHTbiker

Yep, but sure a lot of happy TC owners out their with a lot of trouble free miles. I know of a guy on his 07 TC bone stock that now has 150,000 miles on it. He spends all his time riding around the country, see him about once a year. No repairs to it either, just tires, gas and oil changes.
    Talked to an old school rider once who said you guys who ride newer bikes are called gas and go, never have to worry about em, me I like working on my bike when it breaks down. He also said he carries lots of tools to make repairs on the side of the road or in camp at night. Personally I thought he was a bit dumb or smoked one to many. I love my new bike and would never go back wards to ride a EVO, no thank you. You like em, then ride em just not for me and most people I know. Just like I would not sell my 07 dodge for a older carbed truck of any brand.
    By the way my friend said, all kinds of electrical issues, burning oil, no power and cost was not worth it to him to repair it. Mileage on his bike was under 40,000. :rolleyes:
  7. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I agree, if it has two wheels and an engine, just get on the friggen thing and ride. If you don't like someone's ride, keep it to yurself right?? I am just excited about having the opportunity to get another bike. I would buy a Honda, but I prefer Harley, there is no shame needed if one owns a Honda.. It is a motorcycle. :D
  8. FLHTbiker

Remember what your saying JB. :D But you on a Honda, :eek: like CB would say, man please. :D
  9. FLHTbiker

10. JohnnyBiker

But here is the thing FLHT, this thread was started by me so it is about what I like. I am still in the EVO era by the way and the problems that I have had had are those that have been created by me or just PM stuff that I need to learn to keep better track of and fix myself, which by the way, I am learning more and more about everytime that I log onto this forum. All that matters about any purchase that anyone makes is this. As long as they are happy with what they decided on, that is all that matters. I have no experience with the TC other than short jaunts that I have taken on them so I cannot say which is better and what is not, and to tell the truth, I don't care. I all care about really is whether or not I like it and Hot Rider likes it. I also buy what is affordable. I may not be able to afford a brand new TC so I look for other satisfactory criteria.
  11. FLHTbiker

So your not willing to listen to what others like CB or myself may suggest as a better alternative for you for the long run. :rolleyes: You want an EVO then buy one.
    You don't seem to want to listen to suggestions about it except by a few so your mind is made up. No you don't need to purchase a new bike but some of us were simply trying to help you out but again you seem to want to listen to only a few, no problem, listen to them then. I'm done I'm not going to try and brain wash you, you do what the frigging what you want.
    Personally I don't care its your money so bY cause I'm done with it.
  12. Lucifer

It seemed to me you guys were putting down someone for looking at and older bike....

FLHT I think we'll have to agree to disagree
  13. Lucifer

That is a lot of problems and low mileage to boot....would leave a sour taste in my mouth too...seems like he got a bad one...but I really think that case is an exception instead of the norm
  14. JohnnyBiker

I am just throwing possibilities out there. 2 of the three bikes that I have suggested have all been talked crap about like they are the biggest POS out there. I do appreciate all of the things that you bring to my attention, but it is you two that seem to be offended when I either choose to ignor it or choose to go a different way.:rolleyes: A good example is with the the 05 Eglide. That is a nice bike and it is TC, nothing but slander for it.. Why? Because it doesn't have everything that your bike has? Have you ever thought that I may not want that stuff? By the way, I looked up the NADA on that bike and they are right on with the price. What, because I haven't come out and said, "YEP," you are right means that I am not listening to you? Cmon man.. I am a patient person with most things, but I do not have patients for making a hasty decision. That is what ends up costing the most money in my experiences.

Hey FLHT, if I didn't care what you guys thought, there would be no way in helll that I put it to discussion here on the forum...:gah:
  15. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

had a couple of Evos, one was stroked, 89 inch kit..good power. I had a lot of trouble with it..probably not the bike's fault completely but all in all not a great experience. The other bike had cams pipes and a mikuni and aside from chewing up base gaskets it ran well. The twin cam seems a little stronger out of the box than the Evo in stock form. I've had to change out the cam chain tensioners at 40000 kilometers and it's something I'll have to change again..next time I'll do the upgrade. All I've done for performance upgrades for this bike was the 95 inch kit, stock cams, SE air cleaner and I've stayed with the stock mufflers. The bike is OK on it's own but pulling a trailer two up works it pretty hard. I'm not into noisy pipes any more so the new bikes all stuffed up make enough power for me. It would be harder to get the power and the quiet from an EVO. For a motor that pretty much saved Harley Davidson the EVO sure didn't get a lot of respect. The old guys on the shovels didn't think too much of us "RUBS" See no EVO Ride no EVO all that rot. I've moved off from a stroked 10.5-1 compression ratio EVO to a low compression big bore Twin cam and as much fun as the little stroker was, the Twin Cam is a lot easier to live with for my purpose
  16. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

getting back on topic the electrics can, and have been, a bit of an issue on older touring bikes [Ultras] I've had some friend have some Electrical problems, one bike was just a lemon and now the early Twin Cams are 10 plus years old and a friend of mine is having some electrical gremlins with his. [his tensioners went and took his motor out at 70000 kilometers] As far as picking the right bike goes..ride a bunch of 'em and pick the one that gives you the biggest smile..you'll know.
  17. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

:D agreed, :D not everyone likes the same thing that's why they make so many different models. Station wagon or sports car, it's your choice to make.
  18. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

If you tour, or want to go on long rides and want to have more places to git yer bike serviced. There's nothin like having a new bike that if you break down , need help, a tire, oil change or whatever, there are Harley Dealerships set up all over the United States to help you.
    If you have a Old EVO I don't think the dealerships are workin on them. They don't stock parts for them.
    So figure out what is important to you and go in yer direction.
    I've been riding since 64, owned Panheads, shovel heads and twin cams.
    I've had Honda's, Yamaha's, Suzuki's and Kawasaki motorcycles.
    I know that my 2011 Limited is the best riding and best runnin bike I've ever owned and I can take it into any HD dealership and they will warranty whatever problem I have and work on it if I break down away from Home, and they stock a lot of parts for it.:rant:
  19. JohnnyBiker

How about this??? How bout we stop the debate of which bike is better and which isn't. This bickering over such a stupid concept is not the reason why I started this thread. I started this thread so I can get feed back about the particular bike that I may be interested in buying, whatever it is, not to hear crap that it sucks and that it is a waste of time, and that this bike is better than that one.:rant::rant:

Can we do that??? PLEASE?????:gah::gah:
  20. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

There was a dude that came into a Harley Shop I think it was in Alabama, he was trading his Twin cam in on a new bike. When the dealership seen it they was amazed.
    He had 300,000 on his bike.
    He traveled all year across the united states. He rode the northers states in the summer and the southers states in the winter.
    He bought a extended maintenance and tire warranty plan on his bike.
    Everything that had been done to his bike was on the Computer.
    He didn't break down because of any sensor, fuel injector or computer problems.
    His bike was completely Stock
    And yes the Dealership wanted his bike to put on Display. I think HD in Winconson even had something to say to him.
    The new bikes with TBW , fuel injected, and all ain't bad.
    Look at your new cars and trucks. Does any of them not have any sensors on them, computes on them.
    Technology is great as far as I'm concerned.:rant:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.