1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Possible New Bike

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

:gah::gah::rant::rant:
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

:roflmao:Not a problem....Sleepy gave you some good advice...if you're buying a used older bagger,Evo or TC check out the electric/electronics,they usually go downhill first, look for low to medium mileage and condition(how well maintained) they all are going to have problems....Ya,kno the sayin....if it's got tits or wheels:D;)....brand new with warranty is nice too....just depends on what you want
    I wouldn't be afraid to by any used well maintained HD no matter what generation it's from:D
  3. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

JB, man what a mess eh, get the bike you like, take ur time deciding, test ride it, even get ur indy to take a look if u not sure of the mechanical condition. Get what u want and "ride it like u stole it" :D
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Talked to the HD service manager today got to watch out for the EVO fuel injected he said to many problems with the early electronics. As for TC he said after 02 was better, hope this info does not upset you JB.
  5. JohnnyBiker

Sleepy had said that the electronics and other stuff was not that good. Thanks. Did the service manager give any specific issues to point to about the EFI back in that era? I am pretty sure that this one is carbed though. I will be updating either late tonight or early tomorrow with lots of pics...:D
  6. Lucifer

Not so much was not that good...just getting older, dirt and corrosion are the enemy.
    I would shy away from a MM fuelie which is what all the Evo fuelies were and up to '02 TC's
  7. JohnnyBiker

Now if this is an EFI, can you upgrade that system for a reasonable price?
  8. JohnnyBiker

Yes it is, but I hope we can all get our heads back on stop this crap... How have you been anyways??
  9. Lucifer

A fair amount of work and in the $600-$800 range.I'd pass.
  10. JohnnyBiker

Just because of price or the work involved?
  11. FLHTbiker

My friends EVO was the electronic one and the shop quoted him a couple grand to convert to a carb. Service manager who has worked on em for 30 years now said if it's an EVO stay with the carb ones. He also said and Lucifer can correct me if I am wrong that the EVO puts oil to the motor first before going through a filter and the newer bikes the oil passes through a filter first then to the motor.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  12. FLHTbiker

There is no crap here as you put it some people are giving you some advice or opinion based on their experience and you can take it or leave it. Sure buy what you want no problem but don't condem someone else for giving you there opinion or the next time they may just say the helll with you.
  13. Lucifer

The $600-800 would be parts,one main difference in converting between MM injection and Delphi(Cowboy's conversion) is you need a new Main wiring harness, Cowboy didn't,then if you didn't do it yourself I could see it coming in at a couple grand,maybe a little less at an Indy(Ask Cowboy how much for his parts list and add a main harness to it).You'd basically be rewiring the bike.
    Yep, the Evo oil goes from tank thru engine and is filtered on the return and TC's go through the filter first. I believe the TC's are the first Harley to run oil through the filter first.
  14. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

No new motorcycles for me for a long time now. Just sold my '99 Silverado with 278,000 flawless miles, and deliver it tomorrow. Now looking at a new one just like it.

The guy that I take it to for oil changes has been asking me to sell it to him for over 2 years. Couldn't pass up his latest offer, and I can sleep at night knowing he's getting a good one.

Ironically, it's got an old-tech cast iron push-rod motor which is bullet proof, and still gets 25 mpg. The 2011's still use the same exact motor, so high tech is not necessarily better.

My apologies to anyone I have offended lately.
  15. JohnnyBiker

Everyone hold on to their crouch as I am about to give an Update on that 98.
  16. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

Doing good JB, just really busy with this hot weather, haven't even had a chance to ride the scoot in two weeks :gah: Maybe this weekend I can at least get a short ride in.:D
  17. Lucifer

Don't remember you offending anyone...good to stir the pot every now and then though:devil:;)

It seems with new technology more failures are electronic than mechanical and there's a LOT more electronics in new...better in one sense,but can leave you dead in the water and not sure where to start looking with electronic failures.
  18. JohnnyBiker

Ok, here we go. I thought that this was a very nice ride. I was able to take the bike out with just me on it and then with Hot Rider. Enjoy the pictures....

Attached Files:

19. JohnnyBiker

Here are some more.....

Attached Files:

20. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

:gah:
    Only got one question REdneck Johnny, unless its the money,
    What is the difference in that bike and my limited as far as what you call Ugly .
    That is a Old Lincoln Continental.
    FLHT and me has a New Lincoln Continental.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.