1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Possible New Bike

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Most of it does have to do with the money... I am not thrilled about the looks of this bike, but it is a nice machine, very well taken care of and very few miles for its age. Not only that, Hot Rider likes it.....so what do you do?
  2. JohnnyBiker

Ok, so I will say it... I LIKE THIS BIKE!! The only major thing that I was not comfortable with is that it is heavy. Hard for me to back the bike up. Other than that, This bike just moved to the top of my list. I agree that this bike is under powered, and not by just a little either. A LOT!! I would change this over to a carb though because there is a great blueprint on how to do this by Tomflhrci98, different pipes and a new top end with some cams in it.

Hot Rider and I went out and I had the bike going 80 with her on it. I took it out in some not so serious twisties and was able to hold it at 70. Hot Rider said she had no idea that it was that fast. I don't like the rear floor boards being down as they beat the crap out of my calves when I am trying to back the bike, but that is nothing at all. I would maybe like to upgrade the radio to a CD player though as no one has cassettes anymore. This bike had cruise control, cb and intercom fobs, lowers and so on.

On a scale 1-10, I give this ride an 8.5. :D
  3. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

If you Give yerself time to learn how to ride a bike like this and all. Git used to it. I would bet you won't want to ride anything else. This bike really shines in the winter too.
    Hot Rider should really, really like it. My wife is totally crazy over my baggers.
    Do you know much about riding a Bagger when you slow down or yer turning to go into a service station and all ?
  4. JohnnyBiker

huh?
  5. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

a couple of observations from the pics. I see you're up on the balls of your feet and not flat footed..shorter shocks should get your feet flat. It's no big deal when you're in a parking lot but when you're out where the ground is uneven and you have HotRider on the back the bike can be a bit of a handful. Getting my feet flat under my bike made all the difference in the world. After that it's just a question of getting used to the weight.That'll take a while. The bike looks clean from the pics, I see where there is a trailer hitch on it and I saw where the owner removed the heel shifter, just like I have. It is a fuelie so that would be a concern for me. The pipes were changed,didn't get a good look at the air cleaner but i'm guessing it's had the stage one or so, so that's the power you're looking at. Nothing on it for miles though. Why is it for sale?
  6. JohnnyBiker

It has just over 17k for miles. He is not in a dyer need to sell. I ran into him in a small town west of me because he owns some lake property that had a lot of trees knocked down due to a storm that went through here the friday before the 4th. He didn't bring his gas key with and he came up to ask if I had one. He just said that he doesn't ride it much. He said that he didn't really care if he sold it or not, it just came up in conversation that I was looking for another bike. He did say that he replaced rocker gaskets and the stator not that long ago..
  7. cardboard

You will got used to the weight, but it will take time
    You will learn to circle in s place or pull up and circle and back in.
    When you are going very SLOW like turnin in
    Keep the bike up straight and use the rear brake
    You will learn how to maneuver it with yer legs out to keep the rear floorboard off yer legs some
    This will be a big leap for you but s good leap
    You will learn more about weight and how to handle it and not fight it
    But it will also build you up some
    A ultra rocks
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

A men there brother and I ain't looking back neither.
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

JB, like Sleepy, the same concerns. Bike appearance looks nice. I would want to know how much he pulled a trailer and what kind. Shorter shocks will be in order for yea, helps to flat foot the bike. Big concern on the early fuel injection. If the price on the bike is right than the extra cost of converting it back to a carb would be what?
  10. cardboard

And you wonder why technology moved HD into the Twin cam years as it advanced.
    Why have to spend money to buy a bike, and it may have to have more money sunk in it. Take the extra money that yer gonna sink into the bike and git one a little better. Or put a better down pymt on a one a little more expensive.
    But I would definately look at a Ultra.
  11. JohnnyBiker

He wants about 10k for the bike. I did ask about the hitch and right away he said that he never pulled a trailer..:wtf: The cost for the carb swap would probably be less than 500. I just got back from indy shop to see what it would cost to get some better power under it. Not real bad for that.

Why does it matter what kind of trailer??
  12. cardboard

About 10,000 Huh

Harley Davidson - Classifieds - motorcycles for sale
  13. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

assuming it's as good as it looks, I know i'd be looking hard to get the 3500 bucks. It looks like it's stock untouched and if i'm buying a used bike that's what i'd be looking for. The 88's are ok, the 96's are better and then there's the 103. It wouldn't be a lot of money to wake up an 88, just make sure the cam chain tensioners aren't ready to fail. Other than that..no contest.
  14. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

is that gold trim on some of the stuff or just my computer?
    nice bike though, a good cam and single fire ignition will bring it to life, you'll get used to the weight, price isn't bad. Shorter shocks or have chucktx make you a pair of the lowering brackets for the rear, I'd lower the front too if I lowered the back. OR have the shoe guy put some big ol' thick soles on your boots. one question who's the short fat guy sitting on it????? :roflmao::roflmao: just kidding:fight:
  15. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

+3 on that...MM EFI and the trailer hitch would be my concerns...I don't like the Sampson ovals either, but a muffler swap is nothing...bike looks nice well taken care of.
    If it was carbed bike and never had a hitch on it,I'd consider it... There should be a few baggers out there in that price range in the late Evo's-early TC's that you could hop on and go and only drop an extra couple hundred to personalize or freshen them up.
  16. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

one more thing , you're young you can work up to a $30,000.00 machine over time, and this one will always be worth 10 grand.
    Nice Pictures.
  17. JohnnyBiker

That is gold plating that you are seeing. Not sure that I like too much, but not a big deal. As I said I talked to my Indy shop today and we were talking about a freshen up job on it. He suggested an EV27 but there was a different one that he likes better, can't remember the brand. I would not punch this out to the max, I would want just enough torque to where it pulls harder than what it does. Just a thought.

This bike I do not really have to do anything to, just the little extra goodies for it to start. Although I did look at a 100" kit for it. :D
  18. JohnnyBiker

By the way, what does Chucktx think?
  19. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

100" is to much for an evo, gets unreliable. .10 over stock is good, andrews makes some good cams.
  20. JohnnyBiker

I know, but it was just that power junkie in me again. I would like to go to at least an 88" with some good cams and about 10.0:1 compression.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.