1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Powder coating

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by chucktx, May 4, 2008.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

ya, i saw that in the book i ordered with the kit.....all ya need is 400* for a half hour or so...........but dont do any cooking in it after ya cure something.....might taste a bit "off".................:)
  2. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

So How Much Would It Cost To Get Started And Be Able To Paint, If You Had A Oven? when your painting does the particals in the air still float into your work, or does it stay pretty clean.
  3. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

4. chucktx

you can spend from about 100 bucks at harbor freight, to thousands at comercial coaters......depends on your budget. yes the particulate does float around, but if it gets on something ya dont want it on, just blow it off with air. ya need to wear a mask as the dust is finer than baby powder.....
    it is not as dusty as you think, but there is dust nonetheless.........:)
  5. chucktx

6. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

you might try a large appliance box to spray in, that way you can clean up the coating and reuse it. if your box is clean. i am on a site to help me restore an old 650 yamaha. on this site , xs650garageusa, there is a fellow doing his own powdercoating, he talks about how he does it. very impressive results. lokk under paint and powdercoating, $20 powdercoat oven.
    Last edited: May 11, 2008
  7. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

One thing you have to realize is that you are using very little air pressure. All you need is enough to puff the powder out of the gun, like about 5 psi. Any more and you are just wasting powder and making an unnecessary mess. Also you can hold the gun about a foot away from the substrate. The electrical charge you put through the piece sucks the powder right onto the surface and holds it there while you put it in the oven. AL
  8. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

9. chucktx

have ya got a blaster yet???? just curious on which one ya went for.........:)
  10. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

I decided on the Barrel Blaster. But haven't ordered it yet. I'm going to have to call them and figure out shipping rates. If they are too high I think it might fit in my boat, see where I'm going here? Never fished Lake Buchannan yet. AL
  11. chucktx

yup. isee where ya going.........and i have not fished there yet either!!!! i hear the fishing is great. have fun!!!!!!!:)