1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Power Commander or Race Tuner?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by HellBoy, Jan 11, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

PCV with auto tune will tune itself.

TTS mastertune

YOu need to find somebody that knows the unit and knows how to tune with it.
    And everychange you make to yer motorcycle, you need to go have it redynoed again.

The Thundermax with Auto tune, You replace yer stock HD ecm and use the Thundermax ECM and wide band oxygen sensors.
  2. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I'm not clear on something. The PC V auto tunes. Is that a fine tuning after a dyno, or does that mean you skip the dyno tune?
  3. cardboard

The map you git with the PC is a close map, you don't have to tune.
    But I like to make sure the timing and everything is closer and let it tune from there.
    I rode for many months without tuning the PCV.

The Thundermax unit I like much better cause its not a piggy back unit.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i would contact the mfg. get the straight scoop.....you will ge many different answers. ask the same question to the mfg. an autotune of any brand should not need a dyno....jmo. i am not fluent in efi so this is just speculation. the word auto tune suggests to me that a dyno should not be needed.....let us/me know what they say..........:)
  5. cardboard

One of the most important thing in a Map is the cam.

If the right cam is not chosen in the map the timin might be off. This is a big factor.

So when you take a bike with Auto Tune to a dyno person, you need to tell them which cam you have and the mods.

If you have the cam specs that will even be a Plus.

Then the auto tune can better do what its suppose to do.
    What auto tune can't do is change timing , it changes Afr's by reading the o2 sensors
  6. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Thanks Cardboard, very helpful.