1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Power Commander Setup

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by OkiUltra, Jul 12, 2004.

1. OkiUltra

OkiUltra New Member

New to this Tech Talk site, but have read through most threads looking for information regarding the DynoJet Power Commander III/USB.

I just picked up a low-mileage 02 FLHTCUI. The first thing I did was order the V&H Oval Slip-Ons and a Power Commander III/USB from Direct Parts. I'm using a Kuryakyn Twin Velocity air cleaner assembly and the stock ECM. No other mods to engine, yet. I've read through all the Power Commander documents, more than once, and have searched for answers at various websites.

Have been working the last two weeks to get the Power Commander working properly. With the PC installed, and with every map I have tried, the bike has a severe intermittent stumble (feels like fuel starvation or lack of spark on one or both cylinders) at different rpms. I also get minor popping in the exhaust, but I understand that should just be a matter of fine-tuning the air/fuel mixture, once I get the stumble worked out.

With the Power Commander removed, there is no stumble (I only have minor popping in exhaust).

I've tried turning the Accelerator Pump function off and have tried working with the "Zero" map. I've also tried working with different maps that are close to my setup. I've tried adjusting the three buttons to max out the richness at each level (one at a time) and I've tried going a little leaner. I always get the stumble. :confused:

I read somewhere that certain early models didn't play well, actually I remember the source said it wouldn't work at all, with the early Power Commander if there was an undetected problem with the crankshaft position sensor (otherwise called the camshaft position sensor). Can anyone confirm this could be causing my symptoms, or suggest another solution.

Otherwise, I think I may have a defective Power Commander. :eek:
  2. SK

SK New Member

I doubt you have a defective PC. I installed a PC bought from DirectParts for my FJR1300. Of course I haven't modified anything else..stock pipes and air intake. So the map for a stock FJR worked perfectly. If you have different variables, then the maps included or gotten off the web aren't going to be exactly what you want unless it's the same setup as yours. Best bet is to have it tuned at a respectable shop with a good Dyno machine..they'll create a new map for your exact setup. Then it should run like a stripe assed ape on steroids. :D

I know this is probably not what you wanna hear, but I think it's probably the best solution for your investment.
  3. OkiUltra

OkiUltra New Member

Thanks for the feedback SK. My biggest obstacle is I'm stationed in Japan, and the Japanese Dynos don't tune. I heard they'll run it for ya and spit out numbers--that's it. I suppose if I knew more Japanese, or Japanese mechanics I might be able to work around that.

The bigger issue is that the PC was sold with DynoJet making the claim that a similar map will get you in the ball park. My problem is that ALL the maps I've uploaded into the PC cause the "stumbling" or severe hesitation throughout the rpm range. If I could learn what's causing my currrent problem and fix it, then I think I can find a workable map and tune it better myself, using the ol' seatometer.

I believe the DynoJet claims, and I've read some great reviews about the PC. I'm confident I can get mine to work, at least satisfactorily, if I can get some more ideas on possible problems with my bike. I hate to just start buying/installing new parts and even more so, I would hate to turn this over to a local mechanic without trying a little more on my own, or with help from those very familiar with the Power Commander.

I don't expect much from a stock engine, but I would like to get my money's worth from the parts I'm investing in. Ape on steroids?--sounds fun!!! :D
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

www.powercommander.com

Have you spoken with them, did they suggest anything at all, keep pressuring them and they should help you with the map.

One other option, do you have a dealer in your area that could run a scanalyizer on the bike to check all sensor to see if they are within spec, hopefully they don't have a problem with aftermarket parts where you are living.