1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Power Commander with Auto Tune

Discussion in 'EFI Maps and Tuners' started by Hdtractor1, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

Has any one put the new PC with Auto Tune on any 09 or 10 touring models and are they doing well? Cannot seem to find any body with the set up.:)
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Know it cost a little more but I would look at the Thundermax with Auto Tune.
  3. gamb

gamb New Member

i am using it on a 2009 SE road glide.i like it and the support from jamie at fuelmoto.i had been using it and this last week i cleaned up heads and TB,installed 54Hs,and v and h true dual headers with fullsac 2 inch baffles. all i did was accecpt trims and let it go on tuning itself. used thundermax on 2007 rk. thundermax cost more and did not have the support that i got from jamie.this is just my opion,and i would buy another if needed. hope this helps
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Both are good units.

Thundermax is a full replacement system

PC5 with tuner is a bolt on

TTS Mastertune allows you to access the ECM and upload maps just
    like a dealer can with SEST (Screaming Eagle Tuner), modify them, rpm, speedo
    calibration etc. It also has a learning software that reads the HD sensors in the bike and helps upload modifications.

JMO the Thundermax is good but it's overkill, you can do the same for less than half the money with the TTS Mastertune, a laptop and a cigar...

My reasons for the TTS is that you are adding NO aftermarket parts, either as bolt on or replacement, Powercommanders in the past had a penchant for having poor weather connections, water gets in and frys cpu's and when that happens it's your money you get to spend, warranty won't cover it.

I prefer a software solution, no parts to add.
  5. cardboard

HotRodKing I know you know more about tuners than I do.
    But. We can't do to computers on bikes what you can.

I have a buddy with 2 bikes. He had to have the TTS Mastertune for both of them, Had it put on his 07 Heriatage that he had put a 110cu motor in that he bought in the crate from Harley.. Had it dynoed 2 times if I remember right.
    He was having problems with the way the bike ran.
    He took off the factory computer with the TTS mastertune off and put his Thundermax A/T on and the bike was a whole different animal and ran a lot better and fuel milage improved.
    All the problems he had was gone.
  6. hotroadking

They have their place (TMAX) and it's a good product, so I'm not knocking it, just saying you have to consider all the other issues.

With a Powercommander you have added a part, and it's changed the connections from harness to stock ecm with a good seal to one where you have more wires, more connectors and a place to hid the unit, IE more opportunity for failure.

Tmax is a full replacement system and they work well, however they too require the replacement of the ECM, if something does go wrong, where do you get it fixed... How many shops on the way to Sturgis have a spare Tmax sitting on a shelf, and even if was overnighted you're at least 2 days from a repair.

TTS does take some work but the newer version is basically like the Tmax with autotune.
    just no hardware swap. Any will work it's just what your personal preference is going to be regarding the parts.
  7. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

H.R. so the mastertune has auto tune or you have to dyno bike? Not sure how easy it would be with the computer part...I only changed the pipes to V&H long shot duals amd big sucker air filter with the V&H Fuel pak.

I do have a lap top....but no cigar!!!!!....LOL
  8. cardboard

Folks with 2010 CVO Ultra and CVO street glides are having problems with a TM on their bike.
    The Oxygen sensors on the 2010 bikes are smaller.
    Don't seen TM has done anything about it.:rant:
  9. hotroadking

HD yes it's part of the software package it's call VTune and it
    is done by running the Vtune portion with the laptop connected to the bike
    via the cables.

It gathers data from the bikes sensors and then makes the changes.
    You use the software to upload the changed.

The Tmax is simpler in that you replace everything and it does the AFR changes
    but you can change a lot more with the Mastertune.

With either a good dyno tune is best, but you can get it darn close on your own.
  10. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

HR... Thanks for the Info. I think its the way to go ....Not changing the ecm out is nice too. I can do plug and play ....LOL
  11. hotroadking

Talk with them TTS - MasterTune EFI Programming Software

Steve Cole is the guru.

You will need the cables with the software package to connect,

The Tmax is good, and does a lot of it itself, so if you are PC and tuning challenged
    it's not a bad way to go, however my understanding on the TMax is that it only tunes AFR, not timing or anything else so you have to still do that manually.

Talk with Steve Cole.
  12. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

The Power Commander is strictly for bikes that EFI correct? The reason why I am asking is because I just got the phone with my cousin and he had said that he has a Power commander and that his bike has a carb. Is this right? What is a power commander?
  13. steveb

steveb Active Member

Jamie at Fuel Moto set up a PCV for my '08 Ultra and it seems to run very well right out of the box , good power , good mileage and alot cheaper than the Auot tune options form anyone.
  14. JohnnyBiker

So are these strictly for EFI?
  15. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

Yes...If you have a carb. you can rejet the carb after you install pipes and High Flow air filter....hope this helps
  16. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

Steveb.....did you know you can add auto tune to the Power commander to adjust as and where you ride for better performnace etc etc.? Was thinking of one for my ride but don't know if any one has tried it or not.
  17. JohnnyBiker

Yes, I thought he was full of crap. Thank You.
  18. steveb

steveb Active Member

Yes I discussed that option with Jamie at FuelMoto and decided to go without the Auto tune add on right now.I was not sure there would be any great advantage with it so until I can find out different from someone I will go without autotune.
  19. cardboard

I've has the PCV i got from Jamie at fuel moto cause he was doing retro fit kits for the 08 bikes 2 yrs ago.

If thundermax had of had the Thundermax with Auto Tune for the TBW bikes I would of bought it over the PCV.
    I've had the Tm before and to me it is the best tuner to put on yer bike unless yer a dyno man. Then yer choices are open.
    The Power Commander is a Piggy Back unit.
    The Thundermax replaces yer Stock ECM.
    The last Thundermax I had on my 07 WG is still in operation on a 07 Deuce that I installed it on. And the new owner is happy with it and can tell how much pull it gave a stock bike.
  20. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

Any new Bike you change the ECM on and your warrenty is void ....the piggy back on the ECM is still warrentied..... not to mention the TM does not have one for TBW touring modles yet since 2008!!!!!.......just saying