1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Power Vision

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 13, 2020.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well It sounds like all is doing ok after this whole Scamdemic thing, which is awesome. I'm getting ready to do my first Auto Tune session with my wife's bike. No mods on the engine but I just want the bike to run optimal. I did have to check on some things that required to set some gauges so I can get some Real Time data to either confirm or deny what it is that I thought was going on.

About a week ago I was out riding her bike and it was particularly hot out. Her bike just felt extra sluggish since it is a stock bike at this point. I pulled the plugs and I wasn't impressed with what I saw. Now the Old JohnnyBiker would have just started changing stuff and really take the time to actually diagnose it. Not this time. This time I used the tool that I invested in to assist and it did it perfectly. I created some gauges within the PV so I can plug the PV into the bike, mount the screen on the handlebars and look at LIVE DATA as I am riding. MY thought was that her bike was running lean. I thought maybe the feul pump or the fuel filter may the issue or perhaps the PV itself wasn't hooked up correctly. To my pleasant surprise, when I went to check for codes, nothing was tripped. I decided then that I want to see what the AFR is doing, created some AFR gauges and then went for a ride, and was happy. Well, sort of......
  2. JohnnyBiker

Well the good news is that I didn't see that the AFR was AFU so that made me happy. But what it did do is hasten the time frame to put a new cam in. I decided that that the S&S 551 is the way to go for this bike. Of course a custom tune is in store. This bike should be fun.:cool:
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That's what happens when you ride a hot rod then jump on a stock bike

Cam should do well, you doing pipes and filter too?
  4. JohnnyBiker

We changed the pipe last year to the Basanni RR II. AS far as the intake system goes we are leaving the stock system on. I already put a K&N filter on it but that is all the further I am going to go.
  5. hotroadking

That and a tune should get it running better...
  6. JohnnyBiker

BaggerPaul was so happy that I put a 2-1 on. I thought he was going tear up.:Do_O For that Bike, that was the only choice.:cool:
  7. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

That pipe sucked on my dyna build too restrictive even after a bigger baffle. prob great pipe on a stock application .or a stage 2 .not on a full build with head work .collector is not well with big power
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  8. JohnnyBiker

The tuner asked right away when I was looking more at the 583 what pipe I had. Once I told him he said that the Basanni would be difficult to tune. He specifically pointed out that the combination would cause erratic VE tables.
  9. hotroadking

good to see you BP..... see your stuff on FB from time to time...

Had the Bassani Pro Streets on my 124, made a big difference in power
    over the 2-1 E-series, you could feel it release the kraken in the engine..
  10. JohnnyBiker

We did consider the Pro Street's first but Hot Rider chose the RR II. I agreed with her that the RR II for that bike was a better choice. If it were my bike, I would have gone with the Pro Streets....
  11. hotroadking

The only bad thing about the pro streets is that your hearing in the right ear will be hammered, and, nobody will ride with you on your right side or behind you. My buddy said it sounded like a Cup Car coming up behind him when I hammered it...
  12. JohnnyBiker

I LOVE the sound of the Pro Streets!

Since the cam chest will be open, I will be putting in a new set of lifters as well.I can feel the stump pulling torque already.:cool:
  13. hotroadking

Lifters on a TC are always a good idea, I replaced mine on the RG at 12 K with SNS.
  14. hotroadking

Interesting side bar on Pro-Streets, last Bike Week, in the early days of Corona I was talking with the Bassani Rep, we talked about the pro streets and that I'd bought them directly from Bassani as a pair of test mule pipes on Ebay.

He told me he remembered them and that he built the pipes I have LOL

Small world considering I bought them 12 years ago...
  15. JohnnyBiker

Right, I will be putting S&S lifters in as well. The shop that I am using has a VERY intimate knowledge of all things S&S as the shop owner was their R&D Manager for many years.
  16. JohnnyBiker

Well we got the cams and tune done on the Slim. I a very happy with the results.. I was able to be in the dyno room and watch the whole process. I can understand why "Good" tuners get the money that they do. I will have to agree with BaggerPaul about the Basanni RR, it's a great looking and sounding pipe, but it just isn't made for pergormance.