1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Project 76 electra glide

Discussion in 'Projects' started by viking, Sep 25, 2011.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Harley had a lot of bugs over the years. S&S fixed the problems with the motors for them.
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: Can you name a few of the "bugs" S&S fixed for Harley,not high performance replacement parts,problems with stock Harley engines they fixed...
    If such was the case I think it would be mentioned in S&S history....Looks like Harley was 55yrs old before S&S made their first product... light weight pushrods...:devil:

S&S Cycle | History

Personally,I think MC Clubs played more of a role in keeping Harley alive because you had to ride one to be a member,than S&S did...and of course John Q Public that bought wrenched,rode and wrenched again for the love of the machine...then the release of the Evolution engine is what really saved Harley's azz,because from then on you didn't have to be mechanically inclined to ride one(but it sure helped to be,or deep pockets like you;))
  3. cardboard

AMF helped too. They brought some of the new brands forward.

Think it was the Low Rider and the Wide Glide that AMF brought to the Harley models.
    Man I'm startin to forgit a lot of stuff.
  4. Lucifer

You are:roflmao: I'll walk outta one room into another and forget why I left the room....:gah:
  5. cardboard

Its my fault cause you forgot. [​IMG]
  6. viking

viking New Member

I always had the feeling that the backyard wrenches played a big part in harleys advancement, They found ways to overcome some of the problems these bikes had.Harley saw what guys would do to there bikes such long forks,high handlebars ect. just look back in old magazines and look at the tech tips and look at how things are made today.I may be wrong but thats the way I see it. necessity is the mother of invention
  7. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

That's true about necessity being the mother of invention. It always brings about improvements.

Speaking of S&S. Tattoo's '67 shovel has S&S cases and barrels. He has an S&S carb. He has an S&S stroker kit. Very little of his "67" is original. The pistons are aftermarket, too. It was kind of a let down to find all of that out.
  8. Lucifer

:cheers:I think you hit the nail on the head there viking...You didn't go to a catalog and order that stuff,you had to make it yourself...After Harley saw all the raked and chopped bikes on the road,they then came out with their 1st "factory custom" the 1971 boat tail super glide and then the '78 low rider...

Yeah when parts wore out or you wanted to hop them up or stroke them S&S was the way to go....Pretty difficult to find "all original" Shovel's and Pans,which makes them a little more valuable than the rest
  9. cardboard

He wants to get the strongest and best parts for his build that is possible.
    That's why he has mixed and matched parts.
    S&S cases were stronger The S&S stroker flywheel was a better flywheel
    He probably got some better than stock pistons too.
  10. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

He says they are, though I forget what brand.
  11. cardboard

Ahhhhhhhh

Let me gues Keith Black.:D
  12. viking

viking New Member

I am also a big fan of s&s. Over the years I have used there super E carbs and were always surprized at how they just woke your motor up. You seem to get all the benifits of everything else you did to your motor such as cam and ignition ect.