1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Raking

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy54, Jul 27, 2004.

1. cowboy54

cowboy54 New Member

I have a stock 99 dyna glide and would like to install the 3 degree triple trees for a hotter look. I've also been told I could get the wide glide 3 degree triple trees. I also would like to drop the rear alittle and don't know if I should install the lowering shocks or buy the lowering brackets for my existing shocks.
    Anyones info on this subject would be appricated :confused:
  2. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

Having owned and ridden both the narrow glide (2000 Lowrider) and the wideglide (2002 Wideglide) I can tell you that the handling and performance of the narrow glide is much better. Having said that, I have seen a superglide or two with full wideglide front ends and they look really good.

I don't think you can just change the triple trees to wideglide. Wideglide front ends are 41 mm and narrow glides are 39 mm, the tubes would not fit.

As far as the rear goes, I put a set of 11" Progressive Suspension shocks on my Wideglide and it lowered the rear end over 2", measured at the axle. If measured at the rear tip of the fender it is more, of course. Those shocks are far superior to stock ones and the ride was good. I didn't like them because they lowered the bike toooooooo much. For reference, I am 6' tall with a 34" inseam. But, I believe that is a more desirable method of lowering the rear end than the lowering kits, which change the angle of deflection somewhat.

Just an opinion of one. Be safe.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

On other opinion, lowering a bike changes the geometry which in turn changes the way the bike handles. Usually for the worse, they are not like cars where you lower them and the total CG comes down and handling improves, you don't lean a car.

More height = more lean angle = better turning ability of the bike.

You will drag side stand and pipes on a lowered bike, and if you drop only the rear you will change the rake and trail by a few degrees up front due to the difference in ride height at the rear.
  4. Mojo-FTW

Mojo-FTW New Member

To maybe help ya with your thought of adding 3 degree triple trees to your Wide Glide, don't do it. Do some research on rake and trail. Important terms. If you rake out your forks with trees, you will definately change the trail of your bike, and it will handle like crap. Depending on who you talk to, the ideal trail is between 3-5 inches, or 4-6 inches. The only way to change the rake correctly is cut the neck, and that demands professional help and extreme caution. Like I said, go some research on frame geometry. Your bike has I think around 34 degrees of rake right now.
    When it comes to lowering your bike, be sure you lower both the front and the rear at the same time. Just lowering the rear can also change your trail. Also if you lower the rear to much, without lowering the front, you may run into belt interference with the starter jackshaft. Lots of kits out there that lower the entire bike, and include a new kickstand. I like Ness' kits for that stuff. But there are all kinds of stuff out there. In the front you can install shorter springs or dampner tubes, easy to do yourself with fork seal installer and and service manual. Hope that helped. Ride hard, Ride safe.
  5. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

I believe the stock Dyna (superglide) has a rake of 28 degrees, the Wideglide 32 degrees. I don't know this but I've been told that the extra 4 degrees is accomplished with the trees and not through frame alteration.

I think the argument of which rake and trail is best is very much one of personal preference and what type of riding you do. I've found that less rake gives superior in-town and low speed riding, for sure. On the highway, I really like the way my Wideglide rides. I prefer the look of more rake, some people don't. It's mostly subjective.

When I had the Progressive shorter shocks on the rear, it really inhibited my cornering, reducing the lean angle quite a bit.

Truth be known, the factory probably has worked out the best dynamics for suspension, and any lowering or raking alterations that we make reduce ridability.
  6. Mojo-FTW

Mojo-FTW New Member

Reply to raking

When the orginial guy said he had a stock 99 dyna glide, I guess I assumed it was a wide glide, my bust. All stock wide glide front ends whether it be a dyna, a duece or softail standard or night train, have the same rake, 34 degrees. The Fatboy, and Heritage (not springer) have 32 degrees of rake. Same frame, so how is that? It is accomplished by the triple trees. But those are still not raked trees. The aftermarket raked trees, with 3,5,7 degrees of rake are meant for stretched out/ up frames, in order to bring trail back to a happy spot. Trust me, the worse thing you can do is put raked triple trees on a stock harley. Again, I was a thinking taking a wide glide bike and changing it out. I have had experience with the "wide glide" conversion kits for narrow glide bikes, and they are good to go. I agree with what you said, as far as rake goes, it depends on your riding style. I had a nightrain, that I put a complete Fat Boy front end on (different rake and tire patch) and didn't care for it, I liked the wide glide better. Wasn't real happy with the lowriders I have ridden, from a handling standpoint either. I'm with ya though, fff, the factory has all the r & d, they got it licked.
  7. D & C LOWRIDER

D & C LOWRIDER New Member

Raking A Dyna-lowrider

undefinedundefinedundefined :rolleyes:WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO RAKE THE FRONT ?
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Rake and Trail Calculator

This is a link to a rake and trail calculator you can input the specs on your bike and then change the rake using trees and put in the degree of change to see how it affects your bike.

There are certian amounts of rake and trail to make a bike handle properly, incorrectly done your bike will be unsafe, that's probably why most people are telling you to leave it alone unless you fully understand the geometric implications of the setup.

If you rake it out you may have other things you need to do to maintain the proper setup for rake and trail.
  9. OBGarage

OBGarage New Member

three degree rake

A Dyna has a 28 degree rake adding three won't affect your handling considerably. If your going for a look then your probably not burning turns anyway. Dynas have the same front end as Sportsters and the kits are compatible. Custom Chrome, Drag Specialties would be a good start. Know your front end will be a bit shorter with the rake. Progressive make good and better short shocks. Depends how much you want to spend. I tried the lowering blocks and the made the ride suck. I went for the short Progressives and they're worth every penny. Then all you have to do is paint it black and ride like you stole it! Good luck, sounds like a plan.
  10. CD

CD Guest

Whew! Loads of opinions here! For reference, http://bamph.com/rmh/dyna.htm note the two different part numbers for the FXD frames FXD 28º and FXDWG 32º The WG frame has always had more rake even the original FXWG. You would think that changing the rake from 0º to 3º or more would increase trail but the opposite happens! Go to the link HRK put in and do the math http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html Using a 21" tire, 2.4" offset with 34" tubes and 3º reduces trail from 4.2" to 2.2".
    Here is a link to Pat Kennedy's site. The three images illustrate proper, too little trail and too much trail. http://www.kennedyschopper.com/Trailchart.html

The 2.2" is within the range but will still be less stable at high speeds i.e. freeway than the original 4". Conversly, an FXDWG has 5" with it's 32º frame and 3º trees
    If you look at the image I attached and visualize the trail for a stock FXD (4.2") and then move the vertical (blue) line closer to the black line. This is what a raked tree does. It is usually used to reduce trail in situations where the frame has too much rake and needs to be reduced.

We do not sell raked trees for safety and liability concerns and last I knew neither did J&P for the same reasons.:confused:

Attached Files:

11. Mojo-FTW

Mojo-FTW New Member

Learning

I gotta say, I was a little hesistant about joining a "talk" group, let alone actually giving a reply or an opinion, (for obvious reasons). but I just wanted to put out to all, I am incredibly impressed with this thing, have been cruising around reading, reading, and reading, and getting alot out of it. Expecially the links n all. Al lthe tech talk, etc. rocks. Thanks! Look forward for more to come.