1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

ran out of gas!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by joshbob, May 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I haven't used the matchbook "technology" yet as I carry an .018" feeler gauge in my tool bag along with an extra point/condensor set. Also carry a couple of extra point/condensor screws as it would be easy to drop one and lose it. Naturally, all my screwdriver tips are magnetic (magnetized them myself). Also carry a mini LED flashlight.
    Blue Streak points are good, too. Tattoo uses the Chevy points and claims he's had a set in his shovel for about 6 years now - but I ride a lot more than he does :D.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I'm a little surprised they still make points.
  3. joshbob

Oh, come on. Vinyl records and turntables are still made. Tube amplifiers, hand cranked can openers, Zippo lighters, matches. The list is endless.
  4. Fatboy128

Hand crank can openers? What's that ? Next you'll be telling me cars have window cranks! ha ha ha
  5. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

I still use and prefer a zippo. Sure I need to bring lighter fluid on a trip but the zippo is the shit.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  6. Fatboy128

Yep. When I smoked I had a favorite zippo. But work air travel meant no zippo. But the little plastic BIC lighters that weren't caught by scanners in your pocket.
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I still have some museum zippo type lighters around. Some are pretty cool looking :cigar:. Hand can openers :eek:, points :woot: Must be made in China.
  8. joshbob

Hand crank can opener - made in the good ol' USA. And my F-150 has hand crank windows, too :p. 20140912_1 (640x480).jpg
  9. FLHTbiker

Boy that thing looks awfully rusty
  10. Fatboy128

May need a wash, in an automatic dishwasher!
  11. FLHTbiker

:hilarious: :p :D
  12. joshbob

Ohh, crack me up! It's the lighting makes it look rusty :hilarious:. We have an automatic dishwasher. It's name is Joshbob.
  13. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I have a can opener like that , made in the USA , the wife has a dishwasher , but wont let me use it so I use my dishwasher right on the ends of my arms
    PS the matchbook trick works good as long as you keep it dry at all times
  14. joshbob

Here are the Firestone tires I'll be installing. Ordered the front one yesterday. These are not cheap tires!

[​IMG]
  15. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

2006 Chevy I bought the other day has crank windows, guess I should have opened the door before I offered on it! LOL! I thought crank windows were like dinosaurs, dead and gone.
    And my dishwasher in this house is a ride on, unless she tells me dishes are my turn.
  16. joshbob

20140921_1 (640x480).jpg 20140921_3 (640x480).jpg We have wandered a loooong way from "ran out of gas" LOL, so here is a new wrinkle. My main sprocket shaft seal has sprung a leak and I'm going in to change it. Fortunately, I have a spare. Maybe it was the hard riding I did yesterday at the poker run, but there was no oil on the floor on my shop this morning. Rode to Tarboro (15 miles) for church & breakfast and noticed oil all over the kickstand, belt, frame, and rotor, plus some oil on the ground. Anyway, changing it out and hopefully this one will hold up longer. I got through the summer with no problems except a flat tire, boys, so I consider myself blessed if this is all that happens between now and the remainder of the riding season . . .
  17. joshbob

Well, 3 1/2 hours later I got 'er back together and went for a 30 mile ride . . . leak fixed. I got home late (it was dark) and parked the bike in the yard, still running, to turn on the runway lights. On the way back the bike fell over on the carburator side and konked out. Picked it up and noticed the tail light was out. Tried for a half hour to restart it and it wouldn't start. :banghead WTH? Backed it up and parked it in the yard for the night . . .

Will look into it tomorrow, I'm sure it's something electrical - had enough wrenching today.
  18. Fatboy128

Divot in the carb?
  19. joshbob

Divot? It fell over in the grassy part of the yard. Anyway, too dark to tell. I'm way tired . . .
  20. Fatboy128

Divot = a tuft of turf
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.