1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rapping noise and Stalling

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, May 21, 2012.

1. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Prob so after you checked to see that you were getting oil to the lifter galleys did ya place the lifters back in and then check to see if it filled the push rods or did you leave them out and just watched to see if the other one did .cause if two lifters were out of the galley and to were in it can not build enough pressure to go all the way to the top on the other two .cause the oil passage does not have enough pressure now cause the oil galley hole is to big with the lifters out of the other side it just dumps it back in the cam chest area insted of going up it just sumps
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

When we first spun it over it was buttoned up, both cylinders...nothing to the rockers...took the lifters out of the front cylinder(oil was dripping out of the 2 push rods,but they weren't completely filled) and spun it, oil flowed through the outside lifter feed hole pretty good,sure looked like it was shooting across the the outside galley and into the feed for the inside lifter...couldn't get a good look down the inside galley,but we're positive that passage is clear...the oil dripping out of the push rods was clean as a whistle,nothing but pure oil dripping out.... rear cylinder is still buttoned up
    We're getting pretty quick at tearing the engine down:rolleyes:,and can also get the cam plate out and back in without removing the exhaust,just back it off and rotate it a little...(gotta find a silver lining where you can, eh :roflmao:)
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  3. Lucifer

We really want to see oil in the rocker area before it gets covered up and the tank back on,just a thought I had is what if we drained the 20w-50 and used 5w-30,I'm thinking maybe it could push the lower viscosity oil all the way up and into the rockers:confused:
  4. baggerpaul

you would have more volume of oil but not as much pressure , might work:D
  5. baggerpaul

i think next time send the bike to florida . ill do the job the same day and ship it back the next day. less trouble and more fun
  6. Lucifer

LOL. Yeah...maybe I'll turn into a Snowbird and deliver it myself ...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
  7. baggerpaul

Sounds good beer is on me comon down blue hair canuck
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd button up the bottom,
    leave the rocker tops off the boxes and put the
    rocker arms in as proper, fire it up, worst thing will be oil
    coming out and I don't think it will be like a fire hose, see if you are getting oil up to the top.

The rocker box base gaskets directional? if so if you get them on bassackwards
    you can have oil problems..
  9. baggerpaul

ya know i did not think of that! but then again . i never seen one put on backwords . .could it be that too much beer was at fault here .
  10. hotroadking

Can't remember I'm pretty sure the EVo's have a channel that if you put hte gasket on upside down it is covered and kills flow, Did a TC a week or so ago and I know it said front and rear on the gasket as to which position should be up or down...
  11. Lucifer

It's buttoned up except for the top covers...gaskets are installed correctly...I suppose we could put the tank on and fire it up to see oil up top,then off with the tank and put the top covers on... or, put the top covers on and have it completely buttoned up and fire it up and listen for an oil starved clatter or oil fed quiet...I would like to see the oil circulate with my own eyes though

We have oil coming from the tank into the pump then through the cam plate up to the passage to the filter back from the filter to the cam plate then into the passage for the lifter feeds and piston jets,fills the lifters and starts up the push rods.... the rods are clear,they've been sprayed and blown at least 1/2 dozen times,same with the rocker arms...
    I'm thinking that what Paul said is correct that the starter motor isn't spinning the engine fast enough to pump the oil all the way up the rods to the rockers...it is kinda heavy oil and it's cool in the garage(You Florida boys would be wearing jackets and gloves here:roflmao:)
    The cam plate sounded like a pan flute when we were blowing air through it,same with the oil lines and passage ways the bottom rocker box did look like it had a little more oil in it than what we pumped through the rocker arms and over the valve stems and springs but we weren't 100% positive it wasn't visibly flowing

:roflmao: When the beer starts flowing, the tools get put away, although we can't rule beer out as the culprit for the rag going in:eek: maybe yes,maybe no...but it definitely did slow the job down;)
  12. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I used a funnel & file line to check the oil in rocker area thank's two sober people :) but beets taking tank on & off
  13. Lucifer

Yeah, piece of cake to run a carbed engine off a bottle,bit of a PITA to do it with FI:cussing:
  14. hotroadking

yep a plastic bottle with some gas, some line, ran down to the fuel inlet,
    let er rip, might wanna cover the pipes with some rags so if oil does come out it's not all over the hot pipes (you really don't need to run it that long

it's not gonna look like a texas gullywomper of a oil well
    don't think ya'll need to call John Wayne over to put out the far!
  15. cowboy

First time I used the funnel & fuel line bike was still efi
  16. Lucifer

How'd you do it?? we talked tonight about making up an IV bottle for fuelies(over a few beers:drunk:).
  17. cowboy

I just got a long piece of file hose hook it. Where the line from tank hooked to The efi ran it up to the back bone , put funnel in pour gas on funnel & start , my grandson held the funnel & would pour gas in slow
  18. Lucifer

So basically the same way you'd do it for a carbed bike,instead you ran the hose to the fuel rail instead of the carb inlet and gravity fed the injectors,and you didn't need a pump??
  19. cowboy

No it ran down just enough to run , I had help holding the funnel & pouring the gas four hands are better then two on this
  20. Lucifer

I see ...got her running ..he put the tank on....there's more oil flowing through the exhaust rods and rockers than intakes ...is that normal?? Both exhausts flowing the same amount ...intakes are the same too...but less flow...only been running a couple of minutes a few times...

[​IMG]

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012