1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rear turn signals

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Elrod on the V-Rod, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Elrod on the V-Rod

Elrod on the V-Rod New Member

I am new to this forum and found it while surfing for info on my 03 V-Rod.The problem is when I install any 1156 style LED bulb into the left rear the rear it will not flash.Works perfect w an incandesant.The front still has an incandesent bulb and flashes fast,of course this is normal.The right side w an LED in the rear works,but flashes a little fast. I have the harley stop-turn module installed and the left rear brake light (at the signal) does not light up w the LED bulb.I have tried resistors and a Badlands equalizer 111.I have reset the TSSM as per the instructions from the Badlands module.Same thing.Swapped right and left wires from the BL module same thing.The key on the dash does not stay lit up when the engine is running, and when I manually retrieve codes there are none,no history codes either.Harley's answer is that if it works with the regular 1156 then it's out of there hands.Now I'm out of warranty and to get a straight answer from service is like trying to shave their balls with a Bic lighter.Does anyone have the test procedure and specs to check the TSSM without having a scanalizer?voltage in and out or maybe a resistance test.Maybe I've done something stupid,like not holding my tongue in the correct position or I've been trying to make this light work on the wrong day of the week,if thats the case please tell me which position or what day and I'll do it. :rolleyes:

Thanks
    Elrod on the V-Rod
  2. CD

CD Guest

I believe the Run Turn Brake is either Kuryakyn or Badlands as HD certainly does not make it. We have had cases where the load was not increased sufficiently and the unit had to be replaced. Also, I do not believe you can run a Run Turn Brake and Badlands EQ at the same time.

An easy way to verify it is in the Run Turn Brake and not the bike is to simulate the load of an 1156 with the LED bulb and a 7 ohm resistor. it will need to be able to hold about 21 watts.

Since the 1156 works fine, I would lean toward a defective run turn brake....
  3. Elrod on the V-Rod

Elrod on the V-Rod New Member

Thanks for the input.I didn't think that Harley made the brake turn module,it's in their package and I bought it from them as not to listen to any BS if something happened to the TSSM module.OK,I had an LED to flash before the B.T.module with reversed polarity.Aha.With a resistor or the badlands module.Disconnected the B.T.module and had an LED flash on both sides(separatly).Hooked the B.T module up and reversed the polarity at the LEDs,did the reprogram procedure for the TSSM and wala I have a running system! I guess the current was going the wrong way for the LEDs that I'm using,after all the are just diodes.Man I spent 4 hrs making these lights and I wanted them to work reeeeel bad.Now it's onto the center brake run light.
    Again thank you for the response and I hope that what I've done will help somebody else. :D

Elrod on the V-Rod