1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rebuilding '98 FXSTC STARTER

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by snydley, May 27, 2018.

1. snydley

snydley Active Member

I have a '98 Softail and the starter clutch is starting to "drop out" as it's trying to start, sometimes. It still works, but I want to fix it before it strands me somewhere.
    I bought a new starter clutch for it, and the manual says to grease the drive parts with Lubriplate 110 or equivalent grease.
    Well, that crap must be made out of unobtainium because I can't find it at any auto parts around here, or online unless I want to buy a 55Gal drum or a gross of tubes of it. Do any of you know what I can use for a substitute for this grease. I'd like to get something as close as possible to what is called for, or something better.
    Thanks,
    Snyde
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Lubriplate is found in napa stores it is engine assembly white grease nothing really fancy .any good quality assembly grease will do
  3. snydley

snydley Active Member

Thanks for the help! I went to NAPA they had Lubriplate 105 with an NLGI number of 0, 110's NLGI rating is 2.5 so I didn't buy it. I never delved into the NLGI specs of grease before, and I had no idea how critical that number is, so I called a friend locally that knows his stuff and he told me what to buy so I did, it's all assembled and I'm ready to reinstall it on the bike.
    Thanks again,
    Snyde
  4. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

10.4 glad you got it going