1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Red Light Cameras

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Feb 11, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

City didn't put the camera up.

A salesman from Arizona come in and made a sales pitch to the City of Houston and other cities.
    He is a businessman just like me and you.
    Let me put Redlight cameras up and I will give you 15% of the profit.
    The City Signed a contract with him.
    Out of the 15% he gave the city over 600,000 last year.
    How much money do you think left this town.
    There was a study and they found out a lot of wrecks was caused by the cameras.
    A few wrecker drivers and other business people came in and a lot of them are vendors for the City.
    Why is it that if you break down on the city freeways, that only a few wrecker driver can run it and tow you.
    They got the sales contract.
    There's a lot of other companies that has done the same thing.

If the city didn't waste as much money they wouldn't be in trouble.

The cameras are not maintained for their accuracy either.

If I am the one that seems to be wrong.

Why would a Houston attorney state this.

Attorney Michael Kubosh said, “It’s a money grab. It’s not about public safety. It’s about revenue.” Mr. Kubosh filed a lawsuit in February against the city of Houston after purposely running red lights at camera-controlled intersections so he could challenge the use of the new revenue machines. He said his Houston ticket was mailed from Arizona and has a payment address in Ohio, indicating out-of-state private interests are profiting from the supposed “increased public safety” at Texas intersections.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

my question is how often do you ride through houston????? probably bout as much as me..........hardly never.....i dont care how they do it in houston, that is why i live where i do.......
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yep know that feeling don't go there unless there's no other choise :eek:
  4. b4man27

b4man27 New Member

It's the idiots on cell phones that are the ones i worry about riding,I can't tell you how many times i have had to avoid one of these nutbags yapping about lord knows what while they just drive along without a care in the world. Sometimes i wish i had a rocket launcher on the handle bars!!!
  5. cardboard

Houston is a starting place , just like everything starts in California.

Now they got redlight cameras in Conroe, Corrigan.
    The salesman keep hittin city after city.

And you ever git to a red light and when yer about to be upon it and it changed to Yellow. If you don't stop when its yellow, you git a ticket in the mail.
    You ain't allowed to side threw in on yellow.
    There's a lot of times there is no way in hell you can safely stop when yer approachin the redlight and it pops up yellow.
    But the Redlight camera is a Machine and can't determine that.

So yer at fault and youo git a Redlight camera ticket in the mail.

Squeeze 75.00 out of yer pocket and mail it to another state so they got money now.
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The worst are the young girls on their cell phones. their the biggest reason why Oregon's new cell phone law took effect Jan.1 Fine with me I use a hands free device that is built into my garmen.
    The ones that are also bad are the ones who are indecisive drivers, hate being stuck behind them.:banghead:

They got those Red light cameras here to, just don't run the light and your fine. Running red lights can easily kill a motorcyclist and I've had friends here hit by cars running lights and stop signs. To me people who run red lights all the time will get in an accident eventually and should have their drivers license yanked.
  7. cardboard

A few months back I read something about the timing of how long the lights stay yellow. Report found that if yellow lights were to stay on for 2 or 3 more seconds, wrecks and redlight runners would be cut by 80% I think it was. Go figure this out, a simple fix, but the amount of revenue lost?
  8. FLHTbiker

Also, if your stuck in a line of traffic waiting for the green and then the light turns green and only lets about 4 cars through then red again. :banghead: If they would allow the light to stay green a bit longer on side streets then less people would run that red light to.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Actually NHSTA has egg on it's face and Oregon will as well over the Cell phone laws.

They got these laws passed and after the initial periods the end result was

Zero reduction in the accident rate, none, nada, nil, zilch.

Again a ticketfest for politicians and city officials and nothing to
    help you or I out. I don't know anyone that has been in an accident due
    to a cell phone, either them or another person.

Remember in the 40's and 50's when radios came in cars for everyone
    the prediction was "death and carnage everywhere" as people play with
    radios... Didn't happen.

Saying someone will be distracted on a phone means they would be unable to have
    a conversation in the car with a person in the back seat. Whats the difference it's a conversation..

JMO and the the Federal Gov't studies bear it out...

Fact is there are shiddy drivers, no matter what..

Red light cameras are not there for safety they are there for money, especially in FL
    because they are not legal for highway (points tickets) so the ones here are sending big bucks to AZ, and no cost to the city, which means we are not monitoring the activity for it's accuracy.

If they reduced accidents I'd be all for them, but the fact is they don't they increase them. When a biker gets rear ended and hurt because he tried to stop for a full yellow as the car behind him didn't anticipate properly, all in the name of avoiding a fine. It will be different, but rear enders go up big time with the cameras and red light running doesn't drop.
  10. FLHTbiker

Well, I know of a lady who was the wife of one of my customers she was killed while trying to get her cell phone. They believe she was trying to answer it when she went off the road and into a tree. I personally was sitting at a stop light to make a left turn while on the bike. The lane next to me was also stopped when I heard screeching tires to my right and then bang. The driver who rear ended the car next to me was on a cell phone. Sure glad he wasn't behind me. I'm personally glad for the new law, plus it will stop those texting young girls and guys while their driving.
  11. cardboard

Here is a direct Statement from a traffic officer trained in radar enforcement.

I hate them. They had to re-write the law in order to get them through... I am a radar instructor,,, and the principle goes against everything I was taught and that I teach.... They should not exist....
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

FLHT, sorry about your friends loss, that's a terrible thing to happen.

I don't disagree that there are accidents where cell phones were in use when they happened however the statistics show overall the rate of accidents per driver did not drop in states with these laws....

Therefore banning them does nothing to change the results, it only causes tickets, people will still use phones, just as people speed, park illegally, cheat whatever, a law in and of itself doesn't change the situation.

Like banning handguns to stop crime, at that point only criminals have guns and law abiding people are unarmed, it's a feel good measure that has no bite...

Take for instance a helmet law, in states without helmet laws the death rate and injury rate is lower than states with helmet laws. There is no direct correlation between the two.. Even though you'd look at a helmet and say that's got to be better, there are wrecks where use of a helmet can harm, ie snapping a neck back and breaking or hyper extending the neck and killing you (IE Earnhardt Sr)

Cell phones are no more a cause of wrecks than radios, peanut butter sandwiches or kids dropping a toy in the back seat... It's the driver that made the error in judgment that causes the wreck.. JMO
  13. Panthera

Panthera New Member

Like everything else the various governments get their hands on, red light camera can be a useful tool, or can be abused. If the camera system is set up properly, for safety, not for revenue, then they are very effective at reducing accidents and deaths at intersections. To be set up properly, the yellow must be on 4 seconds, none of the quick yellows, plus the camera would take a picture on the red, and if the vehicle is more than half way through the intersection, then no ticket. If everyone knew they had 4 seconds when the light turned yellow, it makes it easier to determine whether you can stop in time. I have been in some places where the yellow light only lasts a second before the red.

As far as causing rear end collisions because of quick stops, that is the fault of the idiot behind following too close. After all, if the light turned yellow, the second driver should be stopping as well. Drivers need to leave distance to stop if the driver in front stops quick for any reason, yellow light, kids in the street, whatever.

When I am stopped at a red, and it turns green, I wait for a couple of seconds in case of light-runners.
  14. cardboard

The Study that was done, stated that people were more worried about lookin for the Cameras and it didn't deter people from runnin redlights period.
    But then it comes to Revenue, by all means lets see what we can do next to git some more in.
    And they don't even know where they are spending it now.
    :gah:
  15. Panthera

Panthera New Member

Maybe they should put up signs "Red light cameras in use" at the intersection, then you don't have to look for them. Might be effective even if there is no camera.
  16. cardboard

they have signs
  17. cardboard

18. cardboard

19. Panthera

Panthera New Member

Interesting article, one point it raised was the technique of shortening the yellow to get more tickets. If they were simply concerned with safety, they would have longer yellow, and delayed greens in the other direction. Unfortunately, the opposite is happening, just to bring in money. Government is corrupt at all levels. Correcting the timing on the lights would be far cheaper than installing the cameras, more effective, but would not bring in the revenue.
  20. FLHTbiker

Cell phones in the hands of young girls are hazardous. They have a hard enough time concentrating on driving as it is. Then you add in the texting and they may as well be carrying a loaded gun. Glad they banned em but they can still put their make up on in the mirror as there driving. :gah: