1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Red Light Cameras

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Feb 11, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

If they lengthed the yellow lights it would violate the contract with ACS

YouTube - SCAM Uncovered. Red light and speed camera are for PROFIT
  2. cardboard

Put a couple of the girls in front of the cameras and mabe we wouldn't notise if the camera was there or not.
    Ever tried this.:)
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Guy I know who thinks his sheet don't stink and can do pretty much what he wants, even when riding, just got nailed by a red light camera. He said they got pics of him on all four sides and a great mug shot. We all had a smile on our faces when he told us about it and after he left we all agreed, couldn't happen to a better guy. That was one instance of a red light camera where to us it did good. :D
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

They put one up here by my subdivision, even though it's illegal in the state to do so.
    Cities are just telling the state to screw off they will do what they want.

However a nice judge took the case and told the city to pull it down, refund 100% of the money and remove all tickets.

I don't care if it works or not but if it's not legal, they shouldn't be allowed to do it..

Law applies to both sides.
  5. FLHTbiker

HE HE, was on a ride with three other guys last Sunday and coming out of the town of Rainier a car came blowing by us like we was standing still. Speed limit is posted at 50 their. As we went just a bit further there was a state cop sitting their and I'm sure he picked him up on radar but we all stuck our arms out pointing to the driver (driver of the cage slowed down real quick when he saw the cop). The cop stuck his thumb up letting us know yep, got him. Bet the driver was pissed as the cop pulled him over. He had to be doing 80 plus when he went by us so we didn't feel to bad letting the cop know. To many kids and other traffic in that area to be going that fast. :)

I agree if the law says no red light camera's then no red light camera's.
  6. hotroadking

Yeah karma is a beeatch...

I don't mind them fixing the red light runner problem, I look before entering
    and I"m sure it PO's some idiot behind me but I've seen too many runners.

Cameras would be fine for me if"
    1) very strict rules on how, where and when
    2) timing on Yellows could not be altered by the camera or city and must meet a minimum standard for time
    3) Picture must show violator clearly
    4) Signs must be posted in advance that the intersection is monitored

The goal really is to stop the runners, not increase city coffers. If the cameras don't stop the runners, then what is the point...

Further, the car IMHO isn't running the light, it is a machine that without a driver wouldn't go anywhere. So I could borrow your car, run every red light and get you a
    ton of citations and you'd be responsible to pay or they will come for the car, and you did nothing..
  7. FLHTbiker

Bet he wouldn't loan his car out anymore. :) They do take photo's and just like the guy I know his wife said it was a pretty good pic of him and there was no doubt.
    I'm like you I slow down at those places to and do some head checks.
    I've seen log trucks full of logs running a set of lights over on Hwy 213 by me, that's a bit scary. Be kinda like being hit by a locomotive.
  8. cardboard

Let the Police officer git up out of the office and go do his job.
    NO Redlight Cameras. Can't trust machines. They can make mistakes
  9. hotroadking

I'd bet the camera if properly setup would do well

I'd be for a remote camera setup that ties into an office where an officer has monitors of the intersection and the action specific, kind of like the Military drone system.

Then you'd have one officer that could cover multiple intersections keeping the costs down.

Still, the cameras would work, if properly installed, the rules set and followed...
  10. Panthera

Panthera New Member

It does make it a little too tempting to 'fiddle' with the timing and catch a bunch of drivers unawares, just to fill the coffers. in addition, my question would be if you are waiting to turn left, you enter the intersection on green, but the light changes while you are waiting, would you still get the ticket?

I would think a video system would be better, from both standpoints of the constabulary, as they can see the light turn yellow, then red, then someone try to shoot through, while protecting drivers by showing that the light turned and there was no room to stop safely. At least if you challenged the ticket, it would be easier for the courts to decide. A camera just captures one instance, does not show the events leading to that instance.

I am for anything that makes driving safer in the long run, including ticketing bad drivers, higher insurance rates for drivers with lots of tickets, and pulling the licence of those that continuously break the rules. If it is just to fill the city coffers, then it is corrupt and should be pulled.
  11. cardboard

Well everything you said is against what a Traffic cop that teaches Radar and everthing said.
    He said Redlight CAmeras is against everything he has ever been taught.

And it gits down to what we need to do with redlight runners.

If you make a right hand turn on red the cameras will give you a ticket.

The people puttin the cameras up don't even have a license.
    They don't even work for the city.
    The city gits like 15% of the money.
    A induvidual with a business gits the rest.

Lawyers here has already chalanged the courts.
    They have proved to cause more wrecks too.

But for all sakes, to stop Redlight runners. Make millions of dollars lets put them up. They are for a good cause even if they do make mistakes.
    In the future we can just watch bank robbers and send them a ticket in the mail saying we have you on camera so come turn yerself in.:rolleyes:
  12. hotroadking

I dunno you think we'll get bank robbing down to a simple moving violation LOL

The problem is we have thousands of intersections and we don't have the funds to put a LEO in every intersection, every day to write tickets, if we did your taxes would be higher and we'd have more government payroll. The technology isn't the problem it's how it's used. They use cameras on the toll road to monitor E-Pass use
    and we don't complain about it...

I did see a guy come to a stop and turn right on red, and a flash went off and his picture was taken like he had run the light but he didn't..

For now the camera is facing backward and not working, my buddy who is an attorney
    had his current girlfriend get a ticket in his car..

He wrote a scathing letter, demanding it be reversed, and he demanded they pull the camera, return all fees to anyone that was ticketed because a Florida Judge ruled 100% of these illegal in the state...

Said he'll class action sue the city if they don't send the funds back...

Guess it got their attention..
  13. cardboard

Let me see, speedin in a school zone it 250-500
    A cop can sit there and write tickets all day. And people still speed in em.

You can stand on the side of the road and shoot folks for runnin Redlights.
    They are Still gonna run them

Yer taxes are gonna go up period. They always have.
    And with yer new health care plan how do you think they are going to pay for the folks that can't afford to pay for it.
    Taxes are going up.
  14. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Especially if they looked like chucktx's and BluePearl's Avitars.:devil:
  15. cardboard

If they look like that you can put a couple bar stools and a table out there and Drink Redneck Budweiser.
    I wouldn't go anywhere.:rant:
  16. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

I heard 'dat and 10-4.:D:D:D
  17. cardboard

"We have a whole profession out there called traffic engineers. We pay these people a lot of money to figure out the best way to set up the lights. Where are these people? Why haven’t they ever suggested lengthening the yellow light? What’s the deal? They aren’t being paid off by the camera people, are they?"
  18. FLHTbiker

:roflmao: I sure wouldn't want to be around Cardboard if he ever got ticketed with a Red Light Camera :roflmao::roflmao:
  19. hotroadking

Thing is a LEO that is sitting to write tickets in the school zone can write one in what 15 minutes from target acquisition, notes, call it in, writing ticket, and the offender leaving.

A photo would catch 10 or 12 people in that time.

All the speeders should be caught..

It's not 1950 with Barney, one bullet and otis in the jail,
    In this century we should be able to facilitate some automation...