1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Red's Mid-America Meander Meets

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Red Rider, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

:DI'm home. As I should have known from past experience, the ride to the barn is the easiest leg...even if it was well over 700 miles (got a bit confused on the road). Took less time than calculated, but that was the new 95 inch motor's fault....way fast, and too cool!

After I get my head unfogged, I'll post the pics and some other tidbits and observations. In a day or so...got to get the reunion stuff done first!

And congrats again, Abby!

:cheers:
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Good to here you made it ,& turned s bummer into a winner with Red
  3. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Glad you made it home with out any more problems. waiting for the pictures.
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

It was awesome to have had the chance to meet you and Red. I hope that you can consider your trip a success and have created memories that will last a lifetime. I am looking forward to the pictures as well.
  5. JohnnyBiker

HEY, where are the PICS????:rant::rant:
  6. Red Rider

Alex The Dog (and rider, with Ol' Red!)

Attached Files:

7. Red Rider

Red Rider, HarleysLR and rides.........

Attached Files:

8. Red Rider

Snow & Road Trip '11 111_800x600.jpg
    The three musk-ratters....

Hot Rider, Red Rider, Johnny Biker

Snow & Road Trip '11 117_800x600.jpg
    Let 'er run.....
    Snow & Road Trip '11 120_800x600.jpg
    Dang Whipper-snappers!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  9. Red Rider

Sturgis (Ol' Red in the foreground)....and The Knuckle (quenched m' thirst there)...

Attached Files:

10. Red Rider

Lonely road in Eastern CO.........and South Dakota Hell-storm a'comin'

Attached Files:

11. Red Rider

Re: Bagger down

Update from the Rapid City Journal:
    A Shakopee, Minn., man died Friday after his motorcycle slid into the rear of a stopped pickup on U.S. Highway 85.

The brake on the motorcycle driven by Robert Best, 54, locked up, causing him to lay the bike down on the highway and slide into the back of a pickup driven by Kelley Nible, 22, of Buffalo, who was waiting to make a left turn.

Best was taken to Belle Fourche Hospital, then transferred to Spearfish Regional Hospital, where he later died from his injuries, according to a news release from the South Dakota Highway Patrol.

Nible was not hurt. He was charged with having invalid license plates and a seat-belt violation.

Fatal motorcycle crash claims life on Highway 85
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Funny how accidents like that tend to follow people with out licenses, insurance and
    history of violations...

Shame, lots of folks get hurt passing on two lanes with left turners.
    You get behind 10 cars putting along as the front car is oblivious to the fact
    they have all the traffic backed up, limited passing zones and they are
    "locals" and do this all the time.

Wife said she thinks it's safer on the two lanes than 4

I think it's the other way round...
  13. parker

parker New Member

Enjoyed the pics.hope everything is going good.i hope to make next year.:)
  14. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

how ya liking that 95"er.
    thanks for the pictures, just one question,
    who's the kid on JB's bike...:roflmao:
  15. JohnnyBiker

Hey there Red, those pictures are pretty awesome. I am glad to hear that your adventure was a success. I hope that we have the opportunity to meet again in life, other than this forum.

Ride Free!!!:cool:
  16. Red Rider

Those extra inches of the 95 made fighting the headwinds in South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho and Nevada (yeah, like does the wind EVER blow from behind me on the long rides?) a whole lot easier. I haven't really tested the top end yet, as I was babying the new engine, but three-quarters throttle got me 85 mph into 30 knot winds. Couldn't get that from the 88, that is certain.

And Johnny, thanks for the cigars! Finished one just a few minutes ago. Never cared for cigarettes (and you keep up the fight with those), but I do love fine cigars. When there is a (unofficial, not site-sponsored - legal disclaimer is for you, Ken) Bike Talk meet & greet, I'll do my best to be there. I've now met six forum members (HOT01, SK, alexthedog, HarleysLR, Hot Rider and some young buck called JohnnyBiker). I'm up for more, though I'll have to restock my geedunk mementos (got one for you, HOT01, but I've got to hand it to ya - just the way of it). I'll likely see ya there. And I'll do Street Vibrations in Reno next month, if anyone is interested.

This thread ain't done yet, as I have a few final observations to throw in. Not tonight, though. Still recharging energy and reunioning here. Not too unlike the days of deploying for our country.

17. JohnnyBiker

If the thing with meeting out in SD dies for some reason, I have thought about maybe taking a trip with Hot Rider down that way, just for the adventure. a miniature Honka Hey with no particular destination as well. I am doing Ok with the no smoking, but man am I irritable!! Hot Rider is like this....:witsend::banghead: I hope that you enjoyed that cigar.... ya better since my dumbass didn't take the price tags off and you know what I paid for them. :roflmao: Talk Soon Brother!!!
  18. cowboy

thats some good pics, the storm looks bad , did you get cought in it ? sounds like the bad part of your ride turned out for the best with the 95incher on top :D
  19. Red Rider

JB & HR, come on out to Nevada. Find your way to U.S. HWY 50 and just keep going east - then stop before the Sierras. We can ride Tahoe or through Yosemite, or both. I'll put you up here - got the room.

Yep. Cowboy - made my lemonade (splashed with Mr. Beam:drunk:) out of the lemons. As to the storm, just ducked into a hotel as the gust front arrived (no real valor in fighting Mother Nature). Got hit hard, but the worst of it passed to the East and ripped some places roofs off. I was smart enough to park under a pine tree that slowed the hail down enough to avoid denting the tank. 'Course, I'd have felt stupid if the tree fell over on the bike, but that was a calculated bet I won - this time.

20. cowboy

Lol those hotels & trees come in handy even on a bet , have had to it a time or two in the past :)