1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Regular or higher octane for Harley's

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by HellBoy, Jan 30, 2008.

1. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Thanks Art, will do. I just got the manual a few days ago and it mentioned the odometer trip setting. Curious as to why a gas gauge wouldn't be accurate though, the gauge on all the Italian scooters I've ridden worked well enough.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the new electra glides have a fuel gauge and monitor, it will tell you how many miles you have left before your walking........:cool:
  3. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Take the gas tank off your Sportster & you'll see why - the "tunnel" going down the middle so the tank fits around the top frame tube makes the gas go to one side of the tank & the other as the level goes down. On my bikes, the petcock is on the left side & there can still be some gas over on the right side when the engine's running out. But you'd have to lay the bike over on the left side for the gas to get over to the petcock.

A gauge would only tell you what's left on one side of the tank & were you to lean way over in a corner, that would probably change - depending on the total amount of fuel you had in the tank. Just use the trip odometer & you won't get stranded. Or if you're strong enough, turn the bike upside down & shake it. :)
  4. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Dang if I haven't wanted to do that to mine a time or two :roflmao: I have had my Sporty way stripped and never paid attention to the fact it doesn't have a crossover. You may have just saved my bacon from pushing more than I have to someday. Not that I don't try to stay on top of fuel, but I do put my head in it's holster from time to time. Like the time I forgot to turn it from RES to ON. Kinda disappointing to try to turn to your reserve and already be there. Lucky for me I was tuning on the porch when she died.
  5. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

10:04 to that. I do the same. At around 100 miles I hit reserve (1/2 gal. I believe). Consistant 49-50 MPG.

Miles Travelled
    Gallons to fill =MPG
  6. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Thanks Art, really interesting info. What is the logic behind having two sides to a gas tank? I'll start using the trip odometer on my next fill up.
  7. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

The logic to the tank design is so it fits the bike - you wouldn't want the tank sitting up 4" higher in the front, would you? The tank fits over the top frame rail kinda like a saddle fits on a horse.
  8. chucktx

the logic is to have plenty of gas to run on. most bikes have a crossover built into the tank. it is the line on the front lower tank that goes from one side to the other. when tanks dont have a crossover the mfg's made sure that the tunnel does not go all the way to the rear, this way the gas runs around the rear of the tank to get from one side to the other.....this happens every timeyou acelerate......if ya ever run out and took the tank off, you will be lucky to get 1/2 cup ( 4oz) of gas out of the tank. weather you have a cross over or not, you will get nearly all the gas out of the tank when on reserve.....as long as everything else is as designed...................:)
  9. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I get it now, thanks Art, thanks Chuck. Still wish I had a little gas gauge though ;)
  10. chucktx

have fun, that is what it is all about!!!!!!!!!:)