1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Reluctant to start and drained battery

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Ashley, May 5, 2013.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

FI was the greatest thing thy have one up with...
  2. 99Fatboy

99Fatboy Active Member

matter of opinion, keep it simple and the cost will be less and road side brake down will be fewer with out all the FI electronics that go wrong. All the sensors all the bs, I know some day I will be stuck with it to but for now no thanks. :)
  3. cardboard

I've owned 5 FI bikes. Non has failed on me..

Had one in 07 built, and I built one in 08,
    I intentionally tried to tear both of them up running the Homemade Hell out of them..
    Run them o hard I adveraged about 3500 miles on a back tire if that.

Want it simple . On the FI bikes. Turn the key on and hit the start button.
    No peacock to play with, no choke to jack with.

And when yer getting gas on yer hands plying with jets and needle valves, I can do it all sitting on my stool with a computer.
    And you don't jack with floats , needles and needle valves..
    Don't have ortafice tubes getting stopped up either.

Git on and ride with advanced technology or be left behind.

Never has not the 1st sensor to go out.
    Put over 100,000 on FI bikes.

Don't sound like you understand much about FI so you are against them.

FI bikes handle ethanol super well too compared to carbed over time .
  4. cardboard

If you put a meter on yer battery, and read the voltage.
    You can crank it with the meter still on it and you should see the voltage rise some..
    If it rises yer system should be charging.
  5. 99Fatboy

99Fatboy Active Member

I understand FI fine, that's why I don't won't it on my bike.. I don't want the added cost when it comes time to build the engine stronger, or when something goes wrong with it. I can turn the key and take off just fine too. I don't need to buy a larger FI body or a tuner. Jets a needle and I'm good to go.

I have a friend that's not smart enough for a carb. He would benefit from FI.

I've had two friends down from the fuel line rubbing in the tank and sucked air. One didn't listen to me and change it out before going to Sturgis, he ended up with a costly fix in Sturgis the other had to be trailered home from Sturgis.

As far as ethanol, I've got 83,000 on mine all with ethanol. I've never had a carb issue, never! I understand FI ok, that's why I'm not to sure I want it when I have a simple machine Now. All I have to do is check a plugged jet along side the road if it starts to get soft, I don't need to hook up to a computer, I'll take the gas smell. I'm happy for you, but I'm happy too ;)
  6. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

There is a lot to be said for FI. And a lot to be said for carbs. I can strip, clean and reassemble a carb on the roadside. Cannot do that with FI. Then again FI is probably more reliable and less likely to go wrong in the first place.
  7. cardboard

Who wants to Work on their bike on the side of the Road..

I have been in Shopping centers with somebody trying to get a carbed bike running and not to leak gas and ir spit and spudder
  8. 99Fatboy

99Fatboy Active Member

Issues can work both ways. I had a friend with an FI Issue that the dealer couldn't find. It would cut out at 65. He took it to my wrench, miles later hooked up to his lap top a voltage drop to the enjecter showed. There was a short in the wire. Find that along side the road.

Another friend bought a power commander in sturgis. He left with D&D pipes and came home with a SE breather and a power commander, that same friendhad his tank fuel line rub through coming back from sturgis.. The bike was lean as heck. The sales rep that set it up told him they didn't have a program for those pipes and would write one and email it to him. He didn't want to wait so I got asked to look at it. I down loaded power commanders program to his lap top, loaded his program then from 4,000 rpm down a half a number at a time, a rpm at a time I fattened it up until it stopped popping on deceleration. Not a big deal but costly for the power commander, and a bit time consuming. I still have that program on disk.

Another friend had his FI act up, he got so pissed he switched it to carb. That was on a 1998 ultra classic. Im a bit rusty on what year he changed, 2001? My point, never a issue again. All the issues with fuel problems, exept S&S carbs, they seem to be big pos in my opinion, I've seen FI related issues with my friends more then carb.. Last year was the first time I had a friend with a plugged main jet on a CV. The additive he put in his new tank to prevent rust was comming off and plugged his main jet, fix that same issue with FI along side the road. I blew it out, we went to the parts store for an in line filter and continued on. Just sayin I don't want FI to bad. I would like a trike, but I'm not to sure on the new throttle set up, I'd rather have a cable. Just me, my carb has never let me down. I can't say that about the FI I've seen in the group I ride with.
  9. cardboard

And nobody took it to the dealer to have it hooked up to their computer to see what the problem might be.

Don't know much about the bike you are talkin about.

But there is a set of hoses in the tank that ethanol eats up.
    hole in fuel hose (efi bagger)?

I've been riding since 64.
    Know all about carbs and what you are talkin about on them.
    But I would bet there are more Fuel injected bikes on the road today than

And if my bike s on the side of the road, I'm calling somebody to come get it.

One of the biggest problems today is the gas, and no additive like startron run in it .

And the day nobody makes anything that might now have a problem period let me know.
    But as many miles as I rude a year, my last 5 FI bikes , and all the folks I know.
    Nobody has had a
  10. 99Fatboy

99Fatboy Active Member

Take your pick of reading. I don't think the dealer road it far enough.

The hole was do to the gas line in the tank being to long and rubbing on the side of the tank, not ethanol related. The one friend that got his fixed in sturgis had to have it replaced second time. Then Harley released a shorter line for the fix. It's been about 5 years now and it's never happened again. His bike went through some strong engine work. It's a SE 103. They put compression releases in the heads. He always runs 91 premium, no ethanol.

http://www.google.com/search?client...OXD0AGH1YDQDQ&ved=0CCkQvwUoAA&biw=480&bih=239
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
  11. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

99Fatboy . . . yup, simplicity it's where it's at. I'm running a CV carb on my shovel - set it and forget it, as they say. I use a little Seafoam now and then with my fuel because all the gas around here has ethanol. '77 motor runs fine . . . life is good. :)
  12. 99Fatboy

99Fatboy Active Member

Nice!:)