1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rev-tech and pan heads

Discussion in 'Projects' started by ricketyoldude, Aug 31, 2008.

1. ricketyoldude

ricketyoldude No longer with us, RIP Rick

Bought a rev-tech 110 to put into a custom that I'm attempting to build and found that the rocker base plates use 1/4 in. bolts. The rev-tech uses 5/16 bolt holes to secure the base plate any suggestions? If I drill the base plates the recessed bolts won't have the holding power, or I was thinking of bolt hole inserts for the 5/16 holes and turn them into 1/4" holes any suggestions would help:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Ricketyoldude................
  2. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Not sure exactly what you're looking at but inserts sound the best so far. I don't like drilling anything unless absolutely necessary. I guess you have to make sure that the inserts don't move, because I would think they could pull through?? Like I said, not sure exactly but somebody else will definitely have some ideas.
  3. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I would inlarge the holes you don't want to go with the smaller bolt imo, it opens up a future weak spot, and the 1/16 differance if you don't hog it out should not make that big of differance JMO
  4. ricketyoldude

Thanx 4 411

So we are all on the same page, I'm installing pan head rockers on a rev-tech motor and evo uses 1/4 in. bolts 2 hold the base plate on the head. rev-tech uses 5/16 bolts,see the prob. the 2 outer bolts are recessed into the base plate and if I drill into the base plate the V from the recess will b awfully thin and afraid will cause a future prob. I was thinkin that if I could change the 5/16 bolt holes into 1/4" with bolt thread reducers and locktight them into the heads maybe that would work but I dunno was looking for some suggestions from the bro's 2 c if any one has had this prob or heard of this prob. anyway BIG THANKS to IRONHORSE and VOODOOCHILD for the 411 and will keep in touch.

Ricketyoldude.............
  5. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Let us know, we are always interested in odd things like this. You never know when a fellow rider or myself will run into this problem someday.... :)
  6. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

you could always put in some helicoils into the biger holes on the head, going thiner on the rocker covers I don't know but if it's just the 2 bolts I would use the inserts or helicoils, no drilling and I'm sure you'll have enough torqe on the rockers to hold it down and together.
  7. ricketyoldude

Problem solved about rev-tech pan covers

This might interest anyone that wants to install pan covers on the rev-tech 110. Come to find out the 110 motor uses twin cam rocker covers so if you want to install pan or Knuckle head covers on it you must order twin cam style kits. after two sets of evo style cover kits found out from Custom chrome that the 110 uses twin cam stye rockers. Ordered the Knuckle covers and installed in couple hours, And they LOOK GREAT. one more project done now one to the next project......will shoot pics later when it gets further along.......
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i would really like to see a pic of the knucklehead covers!!!:)