1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rider Down - How Many Times Have You Wrecked On The Road?

Discussion in 'The Polling place' started by Red Rider, Sep 4, 2018.

?

How many times have you wrecked on your ride? Not counting parked drops.

1. 1

40.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

20.0%
  4. 4

40.0%
  5. 5+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I've been riding since 1979, with over 200,000 miles of street riding (would have been a lot more, but I spent a lot of time in the service away from my rides) and had my share of spills. My worst injuries were from my last spill, but that was during the transition from street to dirt - and already discussed on this forum in a different thread.

My worst street wipe out was on a North Carolina road with my now-ex wife. Cornered too fast, laid it down and we both got rashed pretty bad. My most humorous wreck was hitting a cop car in Virginia that pulled right out into me - smashed his front fender so hard he couldn't drive away. He did apologize - after initially trying to blame me. Cops are people, too. My bike was fine, and I road away, leaving him to the wrecker and having to explain the accident to his chief.

Being as dirt riding is a different beast, and one really expects to bite it there, please exclude dirt wrecks...unless it was on a street bike, or a good story.
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have never wiped out my bike. You didn't include 0 so I couldn't cast a vote. I came close last year though.:artist:
    Red Rider likes this.
  3. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Been riding for over 40 years. 3 of the 4 accidents were my fault. And should have been avoided. Rookie mistakes.
    Red Rider likes this.
  4. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

'rear ended at a red light. Groovin' on the music and not watching in my mirrors. 6 grand worth of damaged to my SG. Of course the b%$ch tried to deny running into me. Imagine saying "I didn't hit him, he just fell over, with witnesses seeing everything. Luckily, I escaped with a sore arss.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Red Rider likes this.
  5. Red Rider

C'mon, folks, me, BI & Charlie ain't the only ones. Share your story, so others may learn.
  6. JohnnyBiker

Hey Red, its possible.
  7. wood02

wood02 New Member

started on my first harley...1969. had it four hours and laid it down. bought new for 1700 cash from dealership. XLCH sporster. those were good days!
    Red Rider likes this.
  8. charlie46

Dropped mine in the driveway this Monday, (9$%#@^*!). The side stand was up,Brain fart. Somehow these toys put on weight over the many years,needed help lifting it.:arghh:
    Red Rider likes this.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

10. charlie46

OK,now how do I get a hold of her if I need her to pick up my Ultra. That's a real laugh. Asking for help is always the first move. I'm Not a young man you know. Anyway it's always a good laugh when someone tries to educate me on how to lift a bike(as if after 50+ years of riding I don't know how. LOL
    Red Rider likes this.
  11. Red Rider

Hey, Charlie - its not that you never knew, its that ya - after 50 or so years - may have forgot, like ya did the kickstand!:hilarious:

That bike in the video probably weighs about a third less than your bagger. Getting help is smart. If a guy wants to have an excuse for getting help, it is always true that you're less likely to cause more damage if you have help.

I washed the new bike last week and slipped while pushing her into the garage, so I fought with every bit of strength to keep upright, and did - but I ain't fought that hard to stay upright since Desert Storm! Still sore, but worth it.
  12. hotroadking

Well you sounded like you needed edujamukashun

As to size, that little gal is about the 1/3 the size as well
    pound to pound its comparable to a big ol harley dood and
    a big ol harley..

Heres a 70 year old 180 pound grey hair picking up a bagger for ya, and on Gravel no less...

Red Rider likes this.
  13. Red Rider

Gravel or sand can be really tough to get a bigger bike up out of. When I dumped Suzi 650SE out in the boonies, it kept slipping away until I scooted it up to a sagebrush to stop it from doing that. At almost 400lbs and with one good leg at the time, it was one heck of a workout. So the tip is, if it keeps sliding, get something to stop it and it'll be a whole lot easier.
  14. charlie46

Well I got 3 yrs on him. Shirt goes Fast after 70. ps. saw that about a year ago. 5 yrs ago my Street Glide was no problem. But father time really is a burch.
    Red Rider likes this.
  15. badinfluence63

Hate when that happens Charlie. Been there a couple time. Putting the bike in gear first helps,not always.

Hope minimum damage.
    Red Rider likes this.
  16. charlie46

You always put it in gear.DUH!
    Red Rider likes this.
  17. hotroadking

Or get a lighter bike!

Or a trike!
  18. JohnnyBiker

Sounds like people need to slow down a little and think safety first? Just a thought.
  19. badinfluence63

I didn't realize that until the bike kept rolling when i was lifting it.
  20. Red Rider

Back to HRK's
    I did get a lighter bike than my Road King, my Heritage Classic, partly because it is lighter. Could have got another King, but decided to go better handling and lighter. Not disappointed, even with the slightly less bag storage. Will probably get Viking extra large bags down the road. Probably won't ever go trike, as I can take the top off my Jeep and push the windshield down flat to stay in the wind, if my legs or balance fail me as I creep further into geezerdom.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019