1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Riding days are over for awhile

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Aug 23, 2011.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Well headed back into the hospital this morn. Wound up with a 101 temp last night and don't feel to good.
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I hope you get better!!!!
  3. FLHTbiker

Was running a 101 fever last night and the pain from surgery was getting pretty bad. Got some new drugs plus they cleaned and redressed the incision.
    Doc said I had a bit of a flair up and got to quit trying to move around to much and trying do to much.
  4. traveler4717

traveler4717 Active Member

So glad things are going well for you. The body has a funny way of telling you pushed too hard and the message is loud and clear. Heal well and get back in the wind!!
  5. FLHTbiker

Today I finally was givin the OK to take my first shower sense the surgery. Sure felt good and before someone says anything, yes the wife appreciated it to:D. The muscle relaxer drugs are working good am able to move around better today. And M.O.M. Has really helped to except they gave me the none flavored kind :puke:
    If things have improved again tomorrow may have to try and go for a short walk, emphasis on short. :

Sent from IPhone
  6. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Man, I'm gone for just a few days, and now I hear you're in the hospital? Sorry to hear all this. But be positive FLHT....I think you will be thankful for having the surgery as pain pills will kill you over the long run.

40 years ago this week, I was hit with a trip-wire mine while running through the jungle at night. Luckily, I didn't get fragged too bad, but the concussion threw me head over heels a few times, and I landed hard on my back. Blew out 3 discs, and they hurt worse than the hot metal in my legs. Docs just gave me morphine for a few days, and I didn't care about my back (or anything else) after a couple weeks. 20 years later, the pain was so intense, my legs just gave out. Had those 3 discs removed and vertebrae fused together. Amazingly, I was back to work in 2 weeks. Best decision I ever made. Only side effect was that I was 1 1/2" shorter.

The nurses had me walking around the room 3 hours after the surgery, and told me that walking each day was what would make me free of pain after going home. They were right. Now I just need a couple generic naproxen (reduces joint swelling) after an 8 hr. day in the saddle, but hell, I'm old! You can get naproxen at any Wal-mart (cheap), but DON'T keep using the prescription pain meds.

You'll be back on 2 wheels in no time FLHT. Besides, you're too damn young for a Winnebago!

Alex is my loyal old dog....best hound and friend I ever had. So's my Harley.
  7. FLHTbiker

Hey Alex, glad to see you back. Yea, I was up within 3 hours after surgery and the next day I even walked out to the shop but then something went wrong. Went back in and they gave me some muscle relaxers (which has really helped) I hear yea on the pain meds, but can't take Aleve type products (heart issues) any longer. Used to live on that stuff and it was great stuff. Did more walking today around the yard. Had back surgery in 1978 after being a room when a boiler blew up and was pinned underneath the stack. That surgery was right next to this one. They did not fuse it this time but said they will if I have more problems with it. I hope everything works out with it and back on the Harley. They told me 8 weeks :rant:
  8. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Well, my work was sitting at a desk, so no stress on the back. But do be gentle with the back (absolutely no lifting or deep bending for awhile). Let your wife do the fetching and she'll love you for it now.

Heck, you may still have some good riding in November there. Don't give up on that, it's what keeps you young.
  9. FLHTbiker

Alex, I got a great wife, she is a jewel. I am blessed to have her for my wife. :)
  10. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Cool to hear you have a great wife to help you through this. I am new to this, but is neat to hear all the support you get from these guys. Hope you can stay off the heavy meds ... good luck!
  11. FLHTbiker

I tapered back on the pain meds today. Took a muscle relaxer a hour ago and now can't stay awake, They are like taking a sleeping pill. Think I'll go to bed. :)
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

8 weeks huh, plenty of time to plan upgrades, find parts and tinker with the ride
    and get her all ready for go time...
  13. FLHTbiker

Laying in bed now think I'll go out to the shop tomorrow and see if I can throw a leg ove the Springer.:D
  14. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

The pain meds will lull you into a false sense of security. Be very careful doing anything for awhile. Walking is good, though. My doctor had me on Methodone for nearly 5 years over a back injury. It was pure hell getting off of it. They give Methodone to junkies to ween them off of heroin. Before that, they had me on several different pain meds. In the long run they are not good for you. They'll eat you alive.
  15. FLHTbiker

Not only that but this Oxycodone can enlarge the prostrate, been up e every hour and a half with great urgency but with very little results. :rant:
  16. MountainCruiser

Had my Dad with me years ago on Oxycodone for back pain. Lot of side effects, sure you will be off soon as possible ... pulling for you.
  17. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

He's got a limited, ain't a whole lt to upgrade man. They run pretty dang good as they are and even have chrome wheels, heated hand grips and a nice radio:gah:
  18. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Loritab man.
  19. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I took those for a couple months after my injury - I was getting 90 at a time -one month's supply! When my ex-doc (a pill pusher for sure) put me on Methodone, I had nearly a whole bottle of Oxycodone. Flushed 'em all. I could have gone to the corner store where all the blacks hang out and made a small fortune selling them at $10 a pop.
  20. MountainCruiser

Yea, when I had my Dad on it, only two drug stores in the area would fill it. Most of the chains said they did not want to deal with keeping Oxycodone on the premises. Never occurred to me it would be an issue filling the prescription.