1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Riding days are over for awhile

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Aug 23, 2011.

1. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Hardest thing will be in a week or so, feeling a little better, temptation to do too much too soon will be there. Follow Doc's orders ... you'll be back up to speed sooner in the long run ... good luck
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Ya get your asz off the bike & back away from it , Now set in a comfy chair & relax & listen to The Doc the last thing you want to do is hurt yourself worse
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

:roflmao: I was just possing in that pic trust me that's all I have been doing is sitting around and let me tell yea, it really does suck. Got a cramp in one leg today, hurts like heck. I do need to do some walking and will do a little bit tomorrow. The doc said I need to do that as soon as I can. He said need to walk mile within 3 weeks. :)
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  4. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Amen good to hear
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Good to here ,
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Here's my plan.

1) get parts book from dealer, that way you have to walk into
    dealer (exercise) look around, buy some parts you'd like to have
    2) go home walk to garage, if you don't have one you need a good
    roll around chair, now you can read book and pick out more stuff
    3) order parts online and from Phil, walk to mailbox every day for these parts.
    4) back to garage (another walk) back to chair and bolt on parts, a little here
    and there.

So now in all that time you were waiting to ride, you get to bling up
    the bagger, and, at the same time wash it, polish, wax, get those
    cylinder fins cleaned up one at a time,
  7. FLHTbiker

hehehehe got the roll around padded Mac Tools chair, got the new HD accessories catalog. :D Good plan:)
  8. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

a mile in three weeks, that's not very many feet per day, you should be able to have a mile done in that time frame.... :roflmao:
  9. FLHTbiker

Your funny :roflmao:
  10. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like you have the identical back problem I went through. A few years back I was dealing with severe back pain. At first it was diagnosed as Sciatica. For a while I was back and forth on pain meds, therapy, and cortisone shots to try to get a handle on the problem. I spent almost a year unable to ride. Finally an MRI revealed that I had blew out (literally) the disc between L5 and S1 and it was slammed up against the nerve. I went for a surgical consult and the surgeon gave me the best advice at that time. He told me before going the surgery route to try an Epidural steroid injection into my back. The first one was done with only in-office mild sedation and it didn't do anything. A few weeks later I went in to have them perform a second deeper Epidural where they had to put me under so they could inject deep in between the disc and vertebrae. Within several days I was feeling 10x better and within a couple of months I was actually riding again. The treatment does not cure the problem completely but it did allow for my back to relax enough to release the pressure so that the disc could align without pressing on the nerve. After a few years of being med free and abusing my back some more some of the discomfort has started coming back but at least now I know what I need to do if I need treatment again.

Here's a link to this treatment. It might be worth talking to your doctor about if nothing else has worked.
    Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injections for Low Back Pain and Sciatica

I feel your pain and hope you feel better.
  11. FLHTbiker

Ken mine had progressed to the point that I could no longer walk and was in a wheel chair. I also had what is called in their terms Foot Drop. That is where the foot no longer functions. The surgeon when I meant him for a consultation talked to me about those injections but expressed a big concern of possible nerve damage to the foot. He felt that surgery was the best option. The pain was so intense even taking 3 Oxycodone every 4 hours was still not enough. Sense the surgery that pain has really pretty much gone. Still have some numbness in the left foot but I can now move it. Otherwise I would not be able to shift the bike. Recovery is doing well, went out to a couple stores today with the wife, she is still driving:). I think most of the disk material had come out, probably why so much pain. Hope yours gets fixed before you have futher issues with it. Once this heals up I have to start working at strenghing the back muscles.
  12. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

That sounds like they are gonna stick a big needle in yer back. Oh No.
    I'm scared of needles. Its hard to go to the dentist cause he pulls out a needle. I don't like needles.:cussing:
    Shooot Me 1st.
  13. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Yep ...NO NEEDLES, can barely stand a flu shot ... hate needles :eek:
  14. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

I had a couple of those epidural injections into the spine. They had me laying sideways curled up in a ball so the needle goes into the spinal cord. Felt like a shiv being stabbed in there, and the doc sez "hold still now!" Yea, right! Mine didn't work for more than a couple days so surgery was needed.

One other side effect to all the pain meds was terrible constipation. I thought they were injecting concrete into my bowels. Ugh! Then they send in a gorgeous nurse to...... well, you know. Aw hell!
  15. FLHTbiker

:roflmao: That happened to me to felt like barbed wire:roflmao:

Got the torpedo poked up me when I had my first back surgery (27 years old)
    And she was so cute to :p.

Got out today and drove my car down to the HD dealership, felt good and needed it. :)
  16. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

There ya go! That's the best medicine by far....and a sunny day.
  17. FLHTbiker

Went to see the surgeon today and looking pretty good. He said no work for another 3 weeks because of the heavy ladders and the contortions I have to put the body in to get underneath a house when going into the crawl space. Asked about riding the Harley and he said well, maybe some short rides at first. So I said short meaning about a 250 mile ride or 50 mile ride, :rolleyes: he said 50. So 50 is better than zero. :)
  18. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sounds promising...........please dont over do it.......it may do more harm.....
  19. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Hey FLHT go out and wash the bike. dry it and way it and see if you feel up to riding.:D

Don't forgit the wheels.
  20. FLHTbiker

Already have her all covered up and she is nice and clean. Could use some wax on her, might do that tomorrow.

Won't over do it Chuck, not worth it. :)