1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Riding the 2014 on a little trip

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by FLHTbiker, Aug 13, 2014.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Maaddog, another friend Oren and I took off for the coast on Monday. My friend Loren just bought a 2014 Ultra Limited. We went down the coast as it was supposed to be up 100 F at home that day and it was but a cool 65-70 along the coast. The two 2014s Loren's and mine ran good, no complaints. We put a set of Rush on the 2014 limited and it sounds nice.
    Here is a few pics from that day.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

good pics must be nice to take off when ya want to
  3. FLHTbiker

About 16-18 of us are headed out tomorrow heading down (yes into California) to the Soma Cookhouse in Eureka on the northern coast. Then across Hwy 299 and onto hwy 3 into Weed CA. Then it might get dicey as were headed up to Klamath Falls' Oregon. Lots of fires in Oregon right now. Then work our way up Hwy 97 and hopefully past all the fires up through there safely. Can't get up to Crater Lake right now as fires have closed all the roads there. Normally would be a fun mini trip so wish us luck.
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Have a great and safe time!
  5. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

FLHT - you really do live in a beautiful part of the country. That area is where I lived for a while. You used to be able to get tee-shirts that said "I survived 97". We lived in a little logging town called Tennent as you're going north on 97 just before Dorris, California.

To get to Tennent, you would take a right off 97 and ride a 15 mile dirt road LOL. They were talking about paving it when we left. There's nothing there but some old logger's houses and a general store.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  6. FLHTbiker

I found a pic of Tennant Ca looks like they have paved street now.

image.jpg
  7. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Very nice FLHT, thanks for sharing..hope you do it more often and when time and resources allow.
  8. joshbob

So cool. Tennent, California, Land of the Logs; 49 people and 99 dogs - where men are men and the women are, too LOL.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

you mean where sheep are scared....
  10. FLHTbiker

Ain't no sheep there just deer and bears oh and Elk. There a few pussy cats walking around but they would eat you for breakfast, lunch and or dinner.

Josh, couple guys in the first group riding in Northern CA saw a momma black bear with her two cubs right on 101.
  11. joshbob

Nver saw bears on the highway. If people feed 'em, they'll come around for more . . .
  12. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

In '96 and again in '97 I was west of Missoula, Mt on a bridge project on I90
    There were 3 separate nighttime fatal auto accidents with bears during the total of 3 weeks I was there. Also one tourist killed by a buffalo (tattonka) in the National Bison Range. A hole got out of his car and walked up to a bull bison.
  13. badinfluence63

Speaking of 2014's....Went to the dealership today looking at a 2014 Ultra but it had the 6.5 infortainment center w/ GPS. They wanted 25,500$ for new and only wanted to give me 14,500$ for mine and was indifferent to the fact I had added the GPS and XM radio which is bullshit as that was significant money. Their excuse was that that would not add to their selling price of the bike. I know that it would, they're not fooling me.

I like my current bike alot but I am interested in the beefier front end on the 2014 unless I can locate a front end stabilizer for my bike. Thus far I have had no luck. Need to call Tru trac see if they have any reccomendations.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  14. FLHTbiker

BD, you will really like the new front forks and the power on the stock 103 is even better than the old one. The new info center is really nice.
    The bike you were looking at was that the Limited or the standard Ultra.
  15. badinfluence63

It was the Ultra w/ the 6.5 screen added. I was trying to buy it there but it's painfully obvious its not gonna happen. No deal on the new bike and not comfortable with their $$ for my bike.

I'm preferring the Ultra and I will add the CB, XM and GPS later if I have to. Not feeling the water cooled heads.
  16. hotroadking

Trade in isn't like it used to be

Sell your bike. Buy new
  17. joshbob

I think you could get more if you sold it yourself.
  18. FLHTbiker

Find another dealer and play them against each other.
  19. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

I don't know your rules, but up here trade in value drops tax rate paid. So if you buy a $30,000 bike and get $10,000 for yours, you pay tax on $20,000. Something to think about before going private sale. With 15%tax rate, and no hassle trying to sell bike to people with no money but lots of dreams, sometimes a bit of a hit on trade in is the path of least resistance. JMO. Either way, hope you work out a deal that works for you.:)
  20. hotroadking

Depends on the difference, at 6% on $10K you save $600 in taxes
    making a $10K trade worth $10,600, but if you can get $12k selling
    yourself you lost $1400 trading...