1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rinehart 2-into-1

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by baggerpaul, Nov 23, 2011.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Don't change anything on the bike until
    you get next summer done riding it, enjoy it
    looks like it was put together well

Don't spend all three months of riding
    weather screwing with something that works.
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

That pipe sucked ass. Sounded like crap killed the top end roll on and I had more torque and horse power with my duals never saw that before with a. 2into1 before back to seaching for a pipe now I know why he is selling it cheap lol. And ya I tuned it for the pipe
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I really like my true dual. :D V&H, but I am thinking about Basanni though. :cool:
  4. baggerpaul

Im thinking bub 7 like I had on my deuce made great torque smaller primary different. Collector.it's more of a reverse cone muffler.
  5. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

What pipe are you talking about that sucked, Paul?
  6. baggerpaul

Rinehart 2-1no good man.better than a stock pipe. But not for me.
  7. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Got a buddy that just took the V&H Power duals off and he had the V&H
    Slash cuts on with them.
    TAPERED SLASH-CUT SLIP-ONS: Vance & Hines: Performance Exhaust Systems

He got some 4.5 Jackpot mufflers to go with the jackpot stainless header pipes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZukwtb2-FM

Choosing mufflers can be tough. Sometimes the size of the motor can be a factor.

Got a buddy with a 124cu. He averages about 25-28 mpg.
    Hes had several differnt styles of mufflers. He had V&H True duals and the fuel milage was very poor. He took the true duals off and got some 2in1in2 on and picked up from 25 to 30 miles a gallon on the 124.
    We've been trying to git him to go with some 2in1 D&D. He's kinda hard to talk to. He used to be a football coach. But likes to drink Alkehol with us.
    Everybody is lookin for something different in them. What sounds good to me, you might not like.:rant:
  8. alex the dog

I think Rineharts are made by BUB. If you don't like Rineharts, why would a BUB pipe be any better?
  9. baggerpaul

rineharts make there own pipe now bub 7 are not the same as the rine hart 2-1 bub 7 seven have a diffrent primary pipe id and the collector is not the same. and muffler is also similar to the thunder header desighn . the rine hart baffle is very large with no packing at all id was 2.5 and muller tube was huge . just did not work for me and did sound like crap . primary tubes were 1.780 to big for an 88 ,
  10. JohnnyBiker

So even with an 88ci you would want to go with an 1.750" pipe of the head???
  11. JohnnyBiker

I like the RG better than the SG better because there is so little weight on the forks of the RG because of the fixed fairing. When I took the RG out for a test ride, I was able to pull figure 8's in stock set up and I was not able to do so with the SG in stock configuration. I felt that there was less shake at highway speeds with the RG, I do like the looks of the SG, but I have come to like the looks of the RG way more!! Last time I checked, the RG weighed 5lbs less too. When I took the 011's out for a ride, I was able to be flat footed on the RG, but not the SG. Must have something to do with the handlebar position..
  12. baggerpaul

yep
  13. JohnnyBiker

:wtf: I think they should stop making any primary head pipe any bigger from this day forward then....:banghead:
  14. cardboard

Why
  15. alex the dog

16. JohnnyBiker

Partly sarcasm. But when the heck is a bigger head pipe a good thing?? :witsend::witsend:
  17. cardboard

When you are workin with big cubic inch motors.
  18. alex the dog

When I was doing some research on diff. kinds of exhaust systems while working at H-D, I found some interesting formulas to use when determining the proper pipe diameter needed for: 1) power 2) fuel economy 3) volumetric efficiency 4) sound volume.

As you may know, more fuel economy is achieved with a smaller dia. (1.750) pipe, also sound volumn is lower. And more real-world power is achieved by using larger dia. (1.875-2.00) pipes sized to match a larger exhaust valve port (while keeping the intake valve port smaller).

But the most interesting gains came from using a progressively larger stepped header pipe (with any combination of exhaust port size) that flowed into a still larger dia. muffler.

While using SuperFlow flow-bench testing, it was determined that the H-D v-twin (90c.i. and up) achieved it's biggest gains in ALL the above objectives (and even the EPA mandates), by using a progressively stepped header pipe flowing though a 2 into 1 system using a 4" final dia. high-volumn muffler at least 26" long.

The results also showed DECREASES in overall power, fuel economy, combustion efficiency, and noise volume using (2) constant dia. header pipes flowing into (2) mufflers of any size dia. and any length. The only increase came in with slightly marginal torque increase @ 0 - 1,500 rpm with short 16" mufflers. The very worst performance numbers came from dual strait (and short) pipes with no baffles.

Then why does H-D use this 2 into 2 system you ask? Quieter, and a traditional sound to appease the traditional customers, KNOWING it compromises performance.

So, decide whether you want better sound or better performance.
  19. baggerpaul

excellent write up Alex! thank you for your info . I am going back to my original thought . a while back i was talking to hrk about the late model factory 2- 1 street glide set up and gutting out the cat and getting an after market silp on muffler . hope it will fit my early model frame i might have to fabricate a trany mount. for the pipe . we shall see! As far as my rinehart stepped duals . I whent ahead and wraped the baffles with muffler packing sound it much better and has a bit better throttle responce not so much exhaust is getting hung up in the muffler cans and its being forced strait out the baffles now . I can purchase a pull off late model pipe for a hundred dollars just wish i new if they work well first . lol but thats the bike game I think I have at least three sets of pipes in the shed from my deuce till i was happy with one .LOL
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  20. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Ok, you say 90 ci and up. My 01 softail is an 88 with SEII. So does this apply to me? Should I be looking for progressively stepped header pipe into 2 to 1. If so, any recommendations on what to look for? :confused: