1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rinehart True Duals

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 99indyrdking, Jul 20, 2004.

1. 99indyrdking

99indyrdking New Member

Hello
    I was wondering if anyone has put Rinehart true duals on a fuel injected 99 road king. I have Sampson exhaust on now with high performance air filter and downloads. The bike runs great now just want a different sound. I was going to put some screamin eagles on, and my harley dealer said the screamin eagles would just slip on and should be fine. He said I wouldn't need any download or adjustment of any kind. Would this be true with the Rinehart True Duals? Also if you have some on your harley are you happy with the sound and performance.

Thanks
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I am certainly NOT a pro in answering this question, but my understanding is that if you are running stock pipes with slip ons, then go to true duals, you will have to re-map or play with the carbs. Slip on to slip on will depend on what to what you are going to and the air flow going through. As to what pipes do what, I can't answer that as I am waiting for my slip ons to arrive to change out from stock pipes/mufflers. Hope this helps a little bit. :)
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The HD se slip ons and a stage 1 flash with se air filter would be fine, once you go outside IMHO of the "HD PARTS BIN" then you need to consider aftermarket tuning devices.

For simple add on pipes, Rinehardts or vance and hines etc with the filter and stage 1 chip I'd look into a DFO which allows you to add fuel to the mix.

If however you think you'd want to do more down the road, cams, heads, big bore etc then do a powercommander as you can take fuel out, change timing things you cannot do with a ecm or a dfo.
  4. Cracker

Cracker New Member

99 Tc

I have a 99 EFI RK and have had many exhaust, stage 1 with SE air cleaner. The exhaust ranged from sampson slip-ons to straight pipes and back to a set of sampson over & under duals. The bike always ran great, Lean but great, with any exhaust...no downloads were needed.
  5. hotroadking

Cracker yes you are running lean without bumping the fuel, if you run a dyno on it and get the AFR you'll probably find you are way lean, and that means hot which means longer term engine problem potential is up there.

You can do it, but it's not in the best interest of your motors life JMHO and with the MM system you have the fault tolerence of the ECM isn't there like the newer delphi's which can accomodate mild changes.

BTW add a dfo (techlusion or any manuf) and pop on a bit of fuel it will probably wake up the motor and improve your fuel economy and power.
  6. chopperchad

chopperchad New Member

rineharts

Question: What does download mean???
    Call me ignorant, I ride OLD ASS IRON!
    cc
  7. chopperchad

chopperchad New Member

huh???

man you guys are speaking a foreign language to me!!! LOL
    I thought the military used lots of acronyms....WHEW! :rolleyes:
    cc
  8. chopperchad

chopperchad New Member

Run chopperchad Run!

I better get out of this thread or my heads gonna explode!
    If my bike kicks over its a good day! good luck!
    cc
  9. hotroadking

CC

wouldn't call anyone I haven't met face to face anything like that LOL

Hey it's newschool LOL

Downloads are simply the burning or processing of information from one device onto or into another electronic device.

In this case All HD EFI bikes have a ECM or Electronic Control Module (a computer on board) This module contains a master chipset that has fuel and timing codes which are setup to run from the factory with the stock components.

When you change air filter and pipes to less restrictive the ECM doesn't know that (neither does a carb so it's the same principle) So the ECM continues to provide the electronic injectors and ignition the same information that the stock parts needed to operate.

Now we drop on pipes and filter and the motor goes leaner and detonation etc can happen so we need to rejet the ECM.

You can do this a couple of ways

1) HD can download Stage Upgrades from 1 to 3 for your mods depending on what you do. A stage 1 is Pipes, SE Air filter and chip download,
    2) Get an aftermarket ECM adapter like a powercommander (PC) that changes the signals to or from the ECM depending on the model PC you have. So it gets its own special download called a map, this map adds fuel and timing or takes it away where you need it to, you do have to program or download a map, then maybe hand adjust it (just like changing jets only you don't get fuel all over your hands, pants, motor, wifes new rug).

When you hear DFO thats a digital fuel optimizer or electronic carb tool for tuning EFI. it has 4 dials that you set, one is pilot jet range, one is needle, one is main, and one for pump. So you can tune EFI like a carb without getting dirty. Problem is that you can't take fuel out when you need to nor can you setup timing.

3) A combo of a Stage 1 download from HD to get rid of the rev limiter and set a higher fuel base, then a powercommander or DFO to fine tune.

4) get a full iginiton system like S&S VFI which has a knock sensor that tells the system to retard timing at detonation or advance under proper conditions for full power. Pretty cool stuff.

EFI and Carbs are similar in use, they just do the job differently same results. EFI is easier to start and a bit more work to get power out of , but that's changing.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2004