1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Ring problem?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tommyc, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Yes, it has a .514 cam. Everything was measured and clearanced properly. I'm confident the heads were down right. My mechanic knows his sh1T. I did the rings and and the reassemble. I think either the rings are not seated yet and/or the gaps are too large. It was my first time doing rings so chances are I f-d them up. I remember the gaps were larger than they should have been. I put them in anyway. The gap should have been about 0.025" they were around 0.035".
  2. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

if youve got oil dripping out the ports,its more than ring gaps being .010 too big.even not broken in rings may show a lttle oil consumpsion,but it shouldnt be smoking
  3. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

It's got light puffs of snoke out the rear cylinder pipe and some oil coming from the exhaust ports. I didn't use and gasket sealer on the copper exhaust gaskets, should I try to redo them with sealer?
  4. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

you can seal the ports well Tommy dont you think its a good idea to just ask your indie if he turn the guide height down to clear the retainer for high lift be fore you continue? its only a phone call . machining the guide for a pc seal is common but turning the guide for clearence is not allways done . it dont hurt to ask ?;)
  5. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

The exhaust pipes are sealed now and not leaking. Still getting small puffs of smoke from the exhaust. Also some white smoke when she fires up. Is that from oil leaking down from the valve stem or up from the rings?
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

more than likley down from the valves......if you run at a steady speed, 2500 or so, then return to an idle, does it puff out some smoke??? that is a sure sign that the valve stems are leaking........
  7. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I will try that Chuck, thanks.
    How long does it take to seat new chome rings? I have about 60 miles on it.
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have seen it take 60 days to get em to seat........i dont like them and dont run them.....
  9. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

They were the only rings that would fit my 93" .010 over S&S pistons.
    Hopefully it's only that they need to seat and then the smoking will stop. At least the oil isnt dripping from the exhaust ports anymore.
    Man, there's a lot to learn about building an engine correctly.
  10. machinehed

machinehed New Member

In your post #19 you said you saw oil on the valve stems.?
    This will cause your motor to smoke at startup.
    01 over on the ring gaps is not "good" but should not be a factor as long as you stagered the rings properly. Chrome rings take forever to seat , thats why they are not the best choise used ., so dont do that next time around.
    If you feel your head guy new his stuff then just do the proper break in procedures to let the chrome rings and teflon valve seals wear in. Come back after a few hundred miles and let us know how it goes.
    Also., since you decided to add sealant to the headers you will now be looking for same oil from the mufflers.
    A lighter dino oil will help with the break in time .
  11. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Thanks Machinehed!
  12. FLHTom1948

FLHTom1948 New Member

If those chrome rings don't seat well, you might try going with std. cast iron rings; they always seat well, and fast, too! We used to run forged hi-comp pistons with chrome rings on dirt tracks back in the day, because the cchrome would stand up better to all the... dirt (we didn't have K&N "filter socks" in those days
  13. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Oil could be leaking in thru the head gasket, correct?
    There was a 0.012" gap between the top of the cylinder and the bottom of the heads. I don't think that's right. I think the head should sit flat on the cylinder with no gap.
    Maybe that is my problem.?
  14. machinehed

machinehed New Member

There will be a slight space you describe between the bottom of the head and top of the cyl. but it should be the compressed head gasket only.
    When you installed the rings the ring gaps should be staggard 120 degrees from each other for proper sealing. If the ring gaps were installed to close to each other , oil will migrate up through the ring gaps and into the combustion chamber.
    If you installed the chrome rings properly and didnt scratch or nick anything and followed the advise so far given , i would assume the chrome rings are still seating .
    Did you hone , rebore or deglaze the cyls. before installing the rings ?
    What head work was done ?
  15. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

There was a gap between the heads and cylinders WITHOUT the gasket in place. That gap was 0.012" The copper gaskets I used were 0.020" so I figured it would work ok. I didn't use gasket sealer nor did I burnish the gasket. I put them on dry. Was that bad?
    The ring gaps were staggered 120 degrees.
    The heads were new STD dual plug, all new parts in the heads.
    Yes, the cylinders were honed.
    Thanks.
  16. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Check out this second coil mount bracket I made.
    Do you like?

Attached Files:

17. machinehed

machinehed New Member

Ok .???
    What can i say ., If from what your saying your head to block are not flat and yes you could be getting oil through the gasket .???
  18. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

19. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Thanks Guys.