1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Road Glide vs. Bat Wings

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, May 4, 2012.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yea there is not much else worth while to add here so everyone is just throwing bricks. :roflmao:
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I wouldn't discount your eyes. Why do you think that they stress to look through the turn. Wherever your eyes go, the bike will follow... In simplistic explanation of course..
  3. FLHTbiker

Unless your eyes are closed or your wiggling you butt :roflmao:
  4. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

So when you move a cheek to fart you crash???
  5. JohnnyBiker

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
  6. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

And we're off again:fight::roflmao:
  7. JohnnyBiker

:confused::confused::confused:
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

with the correct angle you can pick up a 10th in the quarter mile

[​IMG]
  9. JohnnyBiker

:gah::gah::roflmao::roflmao: Butt Job Gone Wrong.....:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
  10. FLHTbiker

A little thick Charlie46 : :rolleyes: :roflmao:
  11. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Good lord!!! How much does someone get to degrade themselves like that?

Off that subject, but maybe of some use to folks if you don't mind reading this long post: A while back I replaced my Michelin Commander tires with some new Bridgestone Exedra Max (BT 45) tires and have had a revelation of sorts.

The Michelins and Dunlops gave satisfactory performance and I was happy with them, but wanted to try something diff. After running these new tires for 5,000 miles, I'm blown away with how different the bike feels. I think I may have accidentally stumbled onto a major breakthrough.

These tires aren't even recommended for Harleys, so they don't show up in any of the catalogs selling tires for H-D's. They were developed for the big Kawasaki cruisers which are even heavier than Harleys. Load ratings are the same as Michelin and Dunlop.

H-D recommends MU90-16 for rear (about 140mm wide) but there is lots of extra room for bigger, so I tried a 170-80-16. Still plenty of clearance.

For the front tire I couldn't find the right size, so I got another BT 45 REAR tire that would fit (150-90-17). Again, this is much bigger than the 130-90-17 H-D recommends, but it fits with ease. I know some say not to use a rear tire on front, but I disagree.

Man, my bike rides wayyyy better, even 2 up; tracks like an arrow at 100 and actually feels rock solid with NO vibration. Rear view mirrors stay sharp and clear; and the biggest surprise came in the high-speed curves over 90--NO WOBBLE at all. The difference is so dramatic that I wrote a letter to Bridgestone telling them what I experienced, and asked why they don't have Harleys listed for fitments.

They said they do tire testing on their race track in Japan and don't use foreign brand bikes, but these are OE tires on the biggest Hondas, Suzukis and Kawis.

Maybe nobody here cares about these qualities, but thought I'd mention what I discovered.
  12. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

FLHT when you corner like that at night,do you notice your headlight point to the left then come back right??

Point I'm trying to make is the front wheel barely turns when we corner,so whether its a fixed fairing or rotational fairing the headlight turning is a very, very small amount on the rotational fairing(batwing) none on the fixed fairings,we barley turn the wheel at all...some people don't even know they are counter steering,when they are...if the fixed headlight on a RG was an issue,it would have been addressed by now,the only time you would notice the difference would be in slow speed parking lot maneuvering...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012
  13. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Y'all just ain't right.:rant:
  14. FLHTbiker

I'm not even in much of a corner and the wheel is pointing into the corner. In a sharper corner the wheel will even be more so. At slower speeds it's even turning more. There is just something wrong with the bars moving inside a box to me. Hated it on that 1500 Goldwing I had. It just feels more natural to have the whole bike move with you.
  15. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Now that I agree with. It looks / feels weird having the bars turn and fairing not... I think mostly because I'm not used to it....maybe if I rode fixed fairing bikes more I wouldn't even notice it....

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
  16. FLHTbiker

I had that 1500 Goldwing for 5 years and put 109,000 miles on it and could never fell comfortable with the fixed fairing. Each to their own but I sure like the Batwing.
  17. hotroadking

Correct, I counter steer, never pointing the front wheel "into" the curve
    in fact it does appear that you are doing the same, that the bat is either dead ahead straight or perhap a bit counter steered, it's hard to tell at the angle, even if you did turn the front end into the curve it wouldn't be more than a tiny tiny bit or you'd be tumbling over and over.

Slow turns, yes, the batwing light moves more into the direction of a turn.

But think about it.

You drive a car, the lights don't follow the wheels or turns. Same thing
    it's not that big a difference and the higher the speed the less you turn into a curve and the more you lean and counter steer.

No big deal but JMO it's a wives tail about RG/Goldwing/BMW fixed fairing lighting and corners...
  18. hotroadking

It is different, and it really is what you become used to.

Rode a GL1500 for a summer, the bike was nice, but the "fixed fairing" took some getting used to, after three months got back on the softail and it was like WHOA power steering, took a bit to get used to no fixed fairing.

I can ride either and it doesn't bother me to move from one to the other.
  19. JohnnyBiker

When I was out test riding many bikes, and I test rode many E-Glides, and Street Glides before the Road Glide, I was never comfortable on them. Now when I was getting ready test ride a Road Glide, I thought back to all people who said how strange it is to have the bars move and not the fairing. I was happy to discover that they were wrong. At least in my case. I found it much easier to handle. For me, the stationary fairing forced me to look through my turn because I couldn't just follow what was in front of me (Fairing or front wheel). When I turn, I have to look through the turn so I can see what is going on. There are other things that I like better of the Road Glide over the Batwings. Another thing is that it is a much more stretched out feeling. When I get on a batwing, I feel cramped as hell, things are just too much in my face.

Yes FLHT, I can reach all necessary controls when on my Road Glide..:gah::roflmao:
  20. FLHTbiker

:rolleyes:Your such an expert now