1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Road Glide vs. Bat Wings

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, May 4, 2012.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

What year Goldwing, I had an 89 and we put 109,000 miles on her. Was a great bike. We rode two up and pulled a tent trailer behind us many a trip. Put a aftermarket windshield on but still liked seeing over the top of it.
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

3. Fatboy128

By the by, JB won't know this but the rest of you old timers should; What was the Harley with the sharknose fairing originally named?

EDILG RUOT
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Tri Glide or something like that.
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

1980 Tour Glide

[​IMG]
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Thought it was the FLUGLY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. Fatboy128

The Tour Glide was introduced in 1979 and only 19 FLT's were produced that year. In the following year Harley produced 4480.

The 1980 Tour Glide was the first to have the 5 speed transmission and 3 point rubber mounted engine. The motorcycle also had a rectangular steel back bone , and tubular frame, twin 10" front disc, single 12" rear disc and an enclosed final chain drive. The bike was powered by an 82ci (1338cc) Shovelhead with a bore x stroke of 89 x 108mm and had a wet multiplate clutch, 5 gallon gas tank and the bike weighed 725lbs.

The 1981 model brought a VfireII electronic ignition, lower 7.4:1 C.R., longer valve guides, extra oil drain lines from the rocker boxes, revised valve guide seals, and a Girling rear brake caliper.

In 1982, the FLT got new handlebars and seat, primary chain oiler, higher output alternator, and locks for the luggage.

1983 only brought a lower seat, and stiffer suspension.

From 1979 to early 1984 the tour glide was powered by the Shovelhead engine. In late 1984 until 1996 the motorcycle was powered by the Evolution engine. The early 1984 models had a shovelhead bottom end with an EVO top end.

There was never a Police FLT Model. Only FLHT, FXRP, XLP, and Dyna Police models.

It is known that the 1984 through 1988 models (at least, maybe more) had air resivors in the crash bars for air assist to the front fork springs. The 1985 model was changed from a final drive chain to a belt.

The Tour Glide came without a Radio or gauge mounting positions made into the fairing. To add a radio, you would need to purchase a Radio Caddy from Harley, or several after market companies. Some after market caddys came with the gauges mounted in the radio aaddy. To add Harley gauges, Harley sold ones that required you to drill a hole in the fairing and mount them there. Harley introduced the Radio Caddy for the Tour Glide fairing and was stock beginning with the 1986 model year. It is the same year Harley had the radio in the Inner/outer fairing on the Electra Glide. It was produced by Radio Sound. That radio was only used in the 1986/87 model years.

The only major change made that didn't change the name of the model line was to move the turn signals from in the fairing to outside and attached to the lower mounting supports and this happened in 1988.

1989 the "Ultra" model was introduced along with the base FLT model. The alternator was bumped up to 32 amp for 1989 and it also had a one piece pinion shaft and right flywheel.
    The FLTCU model came standard with cruise control, a CB radio, intercom, front and rear sound systems, and fairing lowers, and two tone paint jobs. The standard FLTs were solid colored bikes. A sidecar option was available for the FLTCU, but only 15 were made in 1989. Total production for 1989 is believed to be 603.

The Tour Glide's last year of production was in the 1996 model year, and also the first year for the fuel injection option.
    There was not any FLT models produced for the 1997 model year.
  8. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Eat Me, I did know that. And the first full year was a 1980 model.
  9. cardboard

Eat me

Kind of a Immuture expression ain't it.:rant:

Dang.............:banghead:

Relax

Have a Redneck Budweiser man.
  10. Fatboy128

Oh yeah JB? Bite Me!
  11. JohnnyBiker

:eek::eek::roflmao::roflmao:
  12. Fatboy128

I could rank you so low you can play seahunt in my spit! :roflmao::roflmao:
  13. JohnnyBiker

:roflmao::roflmao: Tell me how you really feel...:roflmao::roflmao:
  14. Fatboy128

15. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

:D It is :D
  16. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

The more I read about the Shark nose here and Cardboard's article (good article by the way) and the HOG article and Fatboy128's info, I'm starting to warm to these bikes.

I'm starting to like the looks of the orange one in Thunder Press article. I just wish they'd redesign the dash. I hate the goofy looking radio area. I don't know,, just me I guess.
  17. JohnnyBiker

Which bike?
  18. cardboard

19. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Oh crap! the frame is bent! :witsend:
  20. stevegoetsch

stevegoetsch New Member

Dont know of any bike that can turn a 90 while riding... or even in the driveway.