1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Road King Shocks for Sporty

Discussion in 'Projects' started by SportyRider, Dec 4, 2011.

1. SportyRider

SportyRider New Member

I just put a set of Road King air shocks on my 97 Sportster 1200 and found it to be the single most rewarding project I've done on my bike to date! I like to ride two up and unfortunately the stock rear suspension on my Sporty left much to be desired in that department. I saw alot of postings in this and other forums on how to upgrade so after some research I set out to give it a go. I found a set of RK air shocks on E-Bay for $75 including the lines. The install was a snap! I had to shim a bit so the fatter shocks would clear my belt guard on the right side but aside from that it was simple. Less than 2 hours. I put in 10 psi and what a difference! Bumps that before were painful in the tush were now barely noticable. Two up riding was much easier too! I gained about a half inch with air in the shocks but that was okay...it levelled out nicely when I sat on it and I'm 230 pounds. Just wanted to share...so if you have the same issue this is a very good way to upgrade your rear suspension for cheap.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

thanks for the report....before and after pics would be great!!!!!!! or if you took progress pics................
  3. SportyRider

SportyRider New Member

Tried posting a few pics...hope it works. I never posted pics on here before so I hope I did it right! First pic is the right rear shoch shimmed to clear the belt guard. Second pic is the air line which is routed neatly under the seat with the fill valve under the rear luggae rack (no pic of that) and the third pic is how the bike sits. About a 1/2" over stock height.

Attached Files:

4. SportyRider

SportyRider New Member

Guess the pics posted ok! Just FYI for all my future projects I will post progress pics. I never thought of doing that but it's a great idea! Next project...totally re-doing fuel system! Cleaning tank, Stage 1 carb rebuild, new intake gaskets and seal as well as new exhaust gaskets.
  5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I am glad to see that there is another person that is passionate about their Sportster as I am. Keep the pictures coming as we all like pictures here. Here are a couple of pictures of my Sporty. It is a 1996 883 Hugger converted to a 1200 with some nuts. Enjoy..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. SportyRider

SportyRider New Member

Awesome ride Johnny! I love the paint and the rear fender! What is the rear fender off of? It lends a nice smooth look to the bike.
  7. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Thanks. The fenders are custom made fiberglass... :cool:
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

most aftermarket dealer have the fenders.....j&p...ect.....

does look ok tho dont it!!!!!:D:D

for a sporty...............:roflmao: