1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.
  1. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

it was time to bring my grandson back home to NC. We left Friday at 10am. It is 800+ miles one way. It was jst me and him.

Unbeknownst to me it was the weekend kids were going back to college. The interstate was full of shitty careless and speeding drivers. Once on I-84 one such driver cut me off on purpose. Passed by me but before he was fully past he cut in front of me causing me to jerk the wheel hard right and hit the brakes at 70mph. Almost a full on accident. License plate said Massachusetts....well there ya go. Massholes living up yo there deserved reputation.

We drove fron 10a-5p. Decent day and time covering 400 miles the first day.At least traffic was moving. I always stay the nite down at a hotel. But drive straight home on the way back.

the next day the ride started off well till Virginia. Full on bumper to bumper. Had to use the gps detour prompt3 different times. That day should have been 6 1/2 hours. Turned into 8 1/2 hours. 2 hours of traffic. Got to NC at 3:30p and headed straight home at 4pm. All 800 miles.

OMG. the ride home was frightening at times terrifying. All was well till 40 miles into I-287 north in New York. It was 1am by then and had almost 500 miles behind me and really tired. I ran right smack into a violent thunder,lightening and torrential rain storm thru I-287,I-87 and a good part of I-84 east. The windshield wipers could not ke up with the ran. Zero visibility. Loud truck shaking thunder and lightening all on top and around me. One time it flashed so close it lit up the cab of my truck. Could only drive 30mph with hazard lights on.

Eventually it disapated just before Hartford. WTF. One of the hardest most grueling runs to NC ever. At least when the storm hit I was about one of the only vehicles on the road so I put on the high beams which helped the diminished rain induced visibility. I drove 22 1/2 hours and 1200+ miles in one day.

Getting to old for this. All of eastern USA sucks.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    Fatboy128 likes this.
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Glad you made it back. Tough round trip, not the kind of trip I want any part of!
  3. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

That's what sux about living in the northeast.....you gotta drive at least 2 days thru traffic to get to the rest of the country.