1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Running rich

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by Danny boy, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Danny boy

Danny boy Member

Hi I've just fitted the cvp full tuners kit to my 94 electraglide and it is running eye watering rich , I've fitted jets 46/185 and cvp needle,drilled the slide with the drill bit supplied 7/64, cvp spring and fuel elbow, I made sure the needle guide was fitted before I fitted the emulsion tube , so covered most things, but when it runs I can see fuel at idle being drawn up the needle and being drawn into the intake (the slide and needle is sat correctly as well at idle). this tells me that either float level or needle sleeve bore is too big.... Any ideas. I've reset the float level to the manual and I've tried a new float... I ordered a new needle sleeve and its 2mm shallower, still draws fuel up the needle at idle.

With it running if I lift the slide up manually at idle it runs great and not rich , I lower the slide and it draws fuel up the slide and runs rich ... I've checked the slide I've fitted the needle then plastic spring holder then the spring ... Please could someone help me with the issue, I have taken a short video of it running but I can't upload it here, I'd be happy to email it to anyone .. Thanks
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi Danny, not sure what is meant by the "new needle sleeve and its 2mm shallower" since our needle jet is the identical spec to the stock one from Keihin.

Typically if fuel is flowing up past the needle at idle (which it shouldn't) the level in the bowl is too high or the bowl is filling uncontrollably. Maybe your float valve is sticking or worn causing it not to seal. Also make sure all the passages are cleared as described in #3 of our troubleshooting guide.
    http://www.cv-performance.com/harley-cv-carburetor-tuning-issues/

At idle air and fuel is only drawn through the passages connected to the front port and pilot jet leading to the passage controlled by the mixture screw. From there the fuel mixture enters the carburetor throat just behind the throttle plate via vacuum. Fuel does not enter the venturi at the point of the needle and needle valve (nozzle) until manifold vacuum causes both the slide to lift the needle and draws fuel up through the emulsion tube.

Also if the carburetor was previously fitted with any other aftermarket parts suck as DynoJet or Yost (could be why the needle jet was different) make sure none of those parts are reused with the stock or CVP parts. The needle should not use any shims.
  3. Lurch

Lurch Member

I'm interested to see what the solution was to Danny boy's problem.
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

That problem back in March was a worn float needle valve allowing the float level to overflow.
    Dave Lewis likes this.