1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Runs for few seconds

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by charlie46, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I thought for sure is was that pos thunder max. !

Just joshing with ya CB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I'm not quite that primitive :hilarious:. I'm glad it will be a simple repair. I might've missed a cracked fuel filter housing - but then my eyesight ain't what it used to be.

It will be interesting to see how much they'll charge for everything . . . if it was me, I'd buy the part and put it on myself.
  3. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

How does a cracked fuel filter housing give compression codes? Wouldnt you have fuel system lean codes and O2 codes?
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

No fuel flow, no combustion......combustion failure or same thing as out of gas :p
  5. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Well we did say 15 posts ago lean would set a combustion code .and a fuel pressure test would have ruled that out.or a good ol can of carb cleaner would have been an easy test to confirm a fuel issuie .but all this does not matter anymore. Good easy fix have them change the filter and hose assembly while there in the tank charlie its peanuts for the hose kit and filter same shit happend to my duse .oring ontje regulator wont seal when tje plastic housing cracks. Its a perfect crack wright along the casting line were the regulator clip holds it in place.on mine
  6. baggerpaul

It wont set an o2 code because cold start is an open loop operatin till the computer sees head temp rise .o2 are being pre heated at start up but no correction is enabled till well above 140 deg f
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

well its efi and internal tank issues with the fuel lines and filters are quite common
    if it hasnt been done have them change out the internal fuel hose
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

What would cause that to crack??Casting flaw??You wouldn't think fuel pressure would do it or the pressure of the clip holding it in place...
  9. baggerpaul

yep poor casting on the plastic . and im sure vibration and fuel temps get pretty hot under the tank don't help much
  10. Roadster guy

So is the filter enclosed in the tank or attached to the underside above the motor? I was thinking of a cracked fuel filter spraying gas all over a hot engine would be easy to spot and easy to smell, so I assume it is inside the tank? I get the no 02 codes, and if not in closed loop I can get why no system lean codes now that you mentioned it, but I am not that up on H-D diagnostics and would have thought there would be a misfire code? Or is that how Harley describes a compression code? What does ECM use to determine out of spec compression?
  11. Roadster guy

Must not have had my reading glasses on, No Combustion codes! I've been reading 6 pages thinking no compression codes! $%#@! When in doubt, return to the start!
  12. baggerpaul

oh trust me with all the drivability I do at the shop I live reading . code descriptions . ford GM Chrysler . Honda Nissan benz they all are different with out factory info . im lost . different reasons for setting o2 cross count codes. miss fire codes set different some shut off ac and injectors . for miss fires . every one is a challenge . I have seven different computers for different manufactures . as far as scanners go . with out the factory tool you are lost aftermarket scanners are ok for simple stuff and have min bi directional control ability . even my aftermarket scanner cast me over 10.000 grand .its expensive to be a tech these days .
  13. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

I think we all learned a little something here. 1.If you're not(or you're Indy) isn't set up for complete diagnostics, head for the dealer. Plus how boggling it CAN be. Will be picking it up in a few hrs. Fingers crossed! 'Glad it didn't happen on I-95 doing 80 in the middle lane a day earlier coming back from Dayton.
  14. Roadster guy

With the price of tools, diagnostic equipment, shop supplies, utilities, tech and ft. counter salaries, the only mystery is how are labor rates as low as they are. To be honest, $150ish and up is where they should be.
  15. FLHTbiker

Not all dealers are the same. I know of one smaller dealer here that has no diagnostic equipment and will only recommend the power commander. Why, because they have only one guy that understand them and knows nothing about even the Harley tuner or others. So for me I will head to only 2 dealers here if I had a issue that do keep up with the newer models with up to date diagnostic equipment and the properly trained personal, that understand all the tuners and diagnostics. One dealer in particular Latus Motors HD has by far one of the best diagnostic guys in the entire west coast, Mike Stegman.
    So my point is if you know of a shop or dealer with the proper diagnostic equipment and trained personal that's where you should go.
    I've had guys say take your bike over to this shop or that shop their prices are cheap as compared to the dealer. Well those guys all keep going out of business and for good reason.
  16. Roadster guy

Cheap labor rates usually mean lower paid employees, usually mean not the best guy that could be working on your ride. Not always, but usually. With a fair labor rate everyone wins, techs are happy, perform better work, more reliable repairs, which gives you a bike you can depend on. That does not mean it is best to get wallet raped either! If you have someone you trust, show support by giving him business, and don't play the shop around labor rate game with him if he treats you fair.
  17. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Probably a bit of vibration there...heh...must be same company making the water pumps on the wet heads...weak nipples:arghh::cigar:

Yeah,that would be another ...If there's a good place to break down...:rolleyes:

Indy's still have to start with the basics, fuel,spark,compression...and have the gear to check witch one you're missing and whether it's mechanical or electronics...

Like BP said earlier,check fuel pressure or squirt fuel in the throttle body...I think it would have failed a fuel pressure test with a cracked regulator nipple...
  18. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Lucifer, Are you smokin left handed cigarettes? It's a cracked fuel filter housing, inside the tank
  19. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Darn I sure enjoy my easy to check Carb Bike
  20. FLHTbiker

Oh yea,I have two carbed bike now and they are both running very good.