1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rust in tank

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jdonnell, Aug 3, 2004.

1. jdonnell

jdonnell New Member

I removed my tank, put 1/4-inch nuts (110 of them), and water. Shook it to death, drained it, over-and-over again. I shine a light in the holes (cap, petcock) and I still see lots of rust that I doubt I will ever able to get all of it. Is there a place that can clean it? (without acid and without damaging paint!)
  2. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Whats wrong with using the acid? My brother in law used the same process as you, only with the acid and it worked great. Just be carefull and make sure you have a good plug and your paint shouldn't suffer. I don't know how you'd get rust out while using water...that would just add more moisture to the mix...probably be better off using a methanol or ethanol product (like Heet) to dry out the tank if you are intent on not using acid. Khreem makes a tank cleaning and relining kit...but I'm not sure how well it works.
  3. jdonnell

jdonnell New Member

I am just worried about paint damage using acid. Water isn't good either I know. I just wanted to see what came out of the tank. I did add alcohol after I emptied it
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I would go Kreem vs. doing the water and nuts deal and the acid as well just from the concern you could screw up the paint.

J-P Kreem

Check with CD here at Direct Parts sure they have it too, this was just a good explination and I'm sure DP will beat the price, you may find it locally as well.