1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

S&s v111

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Tomflhrci98, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

So I decided to take out a small loan to buy a V111. My EVO pulled a stud and I figured 1200 for a case and 1500 for other stuff and I'm back to a weak 80 inch EVO. besides it has 110k miles on it so it don't owe me nothin. I'll clean it up and put it on a shelf.

I do have a question about clutch upgrades and I will get a new belt. Who makes a good belt and what clutch upgrade should I do? This V111 has got somtin like 110 ft-lbs at 2500 and bout 105 hp at 5500.

Thanks in advance,
    Tom
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Tom don't know anything about the v111 , but what I read up on looks real impressive , looks to be plug & play & fast :D
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Rivera primo clutch
    HD se compensator
    HD belts are good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I'd add...BDL,Gates and Panther belts... Gates makes the belts for HD

Relacement Rear Drive Belts

For clutches... Barnett Scorpion & Primo Rivera if you want to use a new inner hub and stock basket or you can go with an extra plate kit and heavier spring using your own inner hub and basket from BDL, Barnett or Energy one

Barnett Performance Products | Products | Clutch Plates & Springs

Clutch Kits

Energy One Clutches :: Big-Twin Clutch Components

I haven't heard of Evo compensators needing upgrading or any problems with them...but HRK has more experience with big inch hi output motors than me,I've just stuck with 80" with my Evo and run a Scorpion Clutch,a Panther belt and stock Comp....it doesn't put out the power of a S&S 111,but it pushes the limits for an 80"er....
    I did have some problems getting the Scorpion to hold with the spring pack it came installed with(comes with 3 sets of springs) but once I mixed and matched the springs I've got all grip,no slip....lever pull is not too bad either,not a lot stiffer than stock....
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  5. Tomflhrci98

Thanks guys. Great info. I'll check it all out. I'm in no hurry to thro it together. I want to do it right once. I just want to ride.. I'm sick o working on this thing.

S&S used to make a 107 touring engine but I think they decided to reduce the stroke due to vibration on long touring rides and went with this 4 1/8 x 4 1/8 square motor, kept the torque down low with a cam design and came out with this touring 111. They also lowered the price on it by 400 lately. The indy chopper shop I'm getting it from knocked 10% off too. I've been looking at it for over a year and it's finally the time. I'll post some pics and a review when I get it done.

go Michigan.
  6. hotroadking

The bigger you go the more weak links you'll find...
  7. Lucifer

You might wanna check your rear swing arm for cracks,some '01 and earlier baggers had some that cracked,I don't know how big a problem it was,but check it out....also might want to upgrade the front brakes....when you add more go,you wanna add more whoa...
  8. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that's true - that's why I stayed with the ol' stock 74.
  9. cowboy

Yep had the hot rods/bikes trying to stay close to 80in on my EVO But the V111 sure soulds like it would be fun in my softail :D
  10. Tomflhrci98

Thursday night I dropped it in. Today (Friday) I started working on the oil lines. They are always a bitch. I gotta go to the dealer for an o ring for the line that goes into the filter. Some of this looks overwhelming sometimes. I gotta just go one step at a time. What hurts more than anything is the amount of money I just spent so I better get it done lol.

Here's pics of the new, the old, and the mess.

Attached Files:

11. cowboy

Hey Tom looks like fun lol let us know how she runs
  12. Lucifer

Looks nice...How many miles on the 80"er?? Are they SE heads on it??
  13. Tomflhrci98

Yeah, HD SE heads. When I got them I ran em for bout a year and the valve seals went. Pulled em off to get them fixed and then bout a year later the head stud pulled out of the crankcase. I put an insert in the crankcase and then bout a year later the insert pulled out so that's when I decided to buy a new engine.

The engine has 110K on it but the heads got about 45K. The pistons are 10 over and have about 50K on them. the rings, pistons and cylinders are in great shape. The rest of it is just old. The Carb and S&S oil pump are in good shape.
  14. Tomflhrci98

It was a long day. The alignment of the engine and trans was tough. It was hard to get the primary inner case on. I had to work the bolts back and forth and work the engine and trans up and down to get it aligned. I got it bolted together but it seemed like it should have gone together easier. I just didn't know how to align it any better. I hope it don't leak.

Oh well, more to do tomorrow.
  15. hotroadking

I found the same, leave them loose, attach inner primary
    and get it straight that way, then tighten down engine and tranny bolts..
  16. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Good looking motor, Tom, and good luck with it.
  17. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

ran a s&s 111 in my iron horse chopper motor was real strong bike was junk and a hand full to ride . owned it for two weeks got rid of it .
  18. Tomflhrci98

Wow! Three and a half days nonstop on this thing. Had various issues. alternator spacer, had to rip out the S&S main seal to replace the spacer with my old one. Primary chain lined up nice though. Wiring the IST took a long time but I really like the way it is engineered. Lots off other little time consuming things but I got it started and it sounds great. I didn't run it long since it wont idle off of the choke so I got some carb studying to do this week before I get it on the road. Long weekend though sheeze!

I'll get some more pics later. Can you down load a video on this forum. I haven't tried that yet.
  19. cowboy

good to here your running Tom ,I need to find the time like you & johnny biker did
  20. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Did the motor come with a g on it? If so they send ya two low speed jets to try or are ya running a cv ? If so the 40 is way too small to run that motor . If your running a g and i hope you are run the idle screw in till it touches the idle stop and turn it a full turn past . Run the idle af screw all the way in and back it out 2.5 turns out . Get full temp up on the motor . Then reset the idle . My 111 with a g on it was a bitch to warm up set my air fuel 3 turns out was much better .