1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Save on gas

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, May 13, 2008.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

:wtf: Art, with only 3,000 miles on it its not even broke in yet. The sound of a diesel after someone has changed the mufflers out to me sounds horrible.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  2. atrick

atrick New Member

acetone in fuel

If you put acetone in your fuel you run a very good chance of seizing that motor. My kids raced motocross for 14 years and I played with all the high octane gases including oxygenated gases. Adding acetone to your fuel will increase the octane, high octane fuel burns slower that lower octane fuel, higher octane fuels actually burn with cooler combustion temps, but when fuel burns slower it burns for a longer time with the flame against the piston and cyl. wall increasing heat transfer thru the motor making your motor run hotter, a lot hotter! With water cooled motors you can control the temps. better, but not with air cooled motors. If you would like to know more about all this don't believe or listen to all the nut cases selling that garbage, call the tech department at sunoco at the national office, they will be glad to answer question and they sent me a ton of literature about all this and I assume they will still do it cause it's been a while since I talked to them. Same goes for avaition fuels, while it is a high octane fuel it has a ton of additives for planes that our motors don't need and a lot will do damage when run in motorcycle motors. Bottom line Don't do it!
  3. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

With 150,000 on mine, it's not either. :roflmao:

Depends on what you use & Flowmaster makes different versions of their mufflers - they're not all loud. Mine's a bit louder than stock but not much & the tone is a bit deeper. Running down the road with windows up & the A/C on you don't hear the exhaust & even with the windows down it's not that noticeable.

Of course, the underhood noise on mine is a lot more than yours - one of my neighbors traded his '98 for an '06 & I thought he traded for a gasoline engine, but he got another diesel. That new fuel injection system does make the engine run a lot quieter.

But I do know what you mean - there are a few guys in this area with gawd-awful loud mufflers on their diesels - raspy higher-pitched sound that's really annoying. :rant:
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I'll leave mine stock as the power it has is way more than I'll ever need. I'm sure leaving it sit :( for long periods is not good for it but I'll be dammned if I'm paying the over inflated price for Diesel. :cussing:
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

My 01 ram 2500 Diesel 5spd with 3'55 's is getting me just at 23 mpg with the stright pipe around the city stop & go all day the wife's 03 PT cruzer 4 banger 5spd is right at 30 mpg with her driving it , My e glide is right AT 39 , But it need's the PC111 checked as I chenged the pipes again :D
  6. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

I saw on (how it's made) diesel willies, willie nelsons bio-diesel truck stop:roflmao:
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Yep it's on the south bound side of hwy 35, about 60-80 miles south of fort worth , good people , good food & good music :cool:
  8. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Only way to save on gas is to git rid of folks like Al Gore and git on the future traders in N.Y.
    Other wise we are gonna keep paying high gas prices. Heard 5.00 for gas by July, All they got to do is hear something bad or to scare them and the price of gas goes up immediately. I don't understand. Who the future traders are the talaban. Our own people are stabbing us in the back by making too huge of profits.:gah: