1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Screamin Eagle heads on EVO 1340

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by BIGJOHN68, Mar 24, 2010.

1. BIGJOHN68

BIGJOHN68 New Member

Hey everybody, looking for info on putting Screamin Eagle heads part #16854-98A on my 1996 Softail Custom. I finally broke down and put an Andrews EV27 cam in this winter and what a difference! Now I'm feeling the need for speed, damn mid life crisis! Anyway rest of engine is bone stock, D and M spike/spear air filter with Vance and Hines 2 into 2 Big Radius, Screamin Eagle ignition module and coil. I know S and S are good products but man they think their stuff is made of gold! Any other brands out there that I'm missing? I've searched the Drag Book. Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

BigJohn,

You can get a set of EVO SE heads from Chilocothi, Ohio HD for around $700.00. That's the best price I've seen. They have a Ebay acount to order from or call them.

The other bit of advice I would tell you is I've read that a good port/polish and valve grind on a stock EVO head and milled 0.060 for higher compression is as good or better than SE heads. You may be able to save money this way if you can find a good head shop to do the work.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

Tom
  3. 59panhead

59panhead New Member

hey if U havent bought the Screaming Chicken junk Harley makes...go to this web site and look @ the heads this guy makes! He can also rework Your Heads to work better then anything Harley calls High Performance!
    Randy is the King of Cubes ! Hyperformance.com He builds street motors and race motors up to 260 cu. in. just doing this and that to a motor is like going to Vegas...sometimes you get lucky ...but when Randy builds a motor or reworks the parts you already have....all the parts are engineerd to work together...give him a call and read what's on the website...I think you will be impressed ! Good Luck !
  4. 59panhead

59panhead New Member

BJ One more thing... Randy @ Hyperformance even makes Iron Cylinders for the guys who want to Hot-Rod there EVOS...A true Hot rod motor with steel cylinders will not expand like Alumunum meaning better compression...and Cam / pushrod timing stays accurate !

Remember you don't steer it!...You Aim it!

10 years of top fuel drag racing sure taught us not to makie mistakes more then once! PEACE!
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Getting your own heads done would be a better move IMO...if you're gonna keep the EV27 a street port with stock size valves and a bump in compression will really wake up the EV27 and in the RPM range that you will spend most of your time
    Look up a head porter like Bishop's Performance, Hillside Custom Cycle, Dewys Heads, Larry's Motorcycle & Machine...there's a long list of quality porters that if you talk to them, tell them your goals they can put a big grin on your face when you twist the wick and not break the bank.

Here's a link to a list of Indy's and Porters...check em out...

Login
  6. RaKs toy shop

RaKs toy shop Active Member

I agree EVO heads are good heads. They can be very good with just a little work by someone that knows what they are doing, but someone that just thinks they do can make them worse than they are stock. I strongly agree that compression will make that EV-27 show what it can do. as with head work higher compression can go to far quick. if you get much over 10.4 to 1 you can plan on buying Octane Booster on a regular basis. Good Luck, its a GREAT FEELING when you turn a dog into a ground pounding HOG!:D
  7. 59panhead

59panhead New Member

Evo heads are great heads.....but doing porting and polishing is so over rated !
    ANY SHOP CAN HOG OUT METAL AND MAKE IT SHINY ! Bigger isnt always better !
    Then There are the shops who will weld in metal and reshape the intake and exhaust so the heads flow better, and work with the cam lift and duration so the motor makes Horsepower...Runs cooler, and is still dependable ! Go Fast...and take chances!
  8. RaKs toy shop

RaKs toy shop Active Member

Another option is forget the big head work. You have a good set of heads that are factory stock. A simple valve and seal job might be all you want and instead of milling the heads for compression consider higher compression pistons that are forged to fit the dynamics of the head. Then save your money for back tires. Just a thought. Now I have to go because this talk is making me miss my old EVO.
  9. BIGJOHN68

BIGJOHN68 New Member

WOW!!! My first time on this site and 8 great responses the first night! I keep seeing Randy the king of cubes and Hillside over and over again in forums like this, must be something to 'em! Thank you very much everybody for giving me lots a great ideas to think about! Cheers to everyone! :cheers:
  10. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

While thinking about increaseing performance through modifying the heads remember that the EVO is one of the best engs HD ever brought out - the only reason they went to the TC88 is they had a engine that was so dependable that they had to change it to keep their dealers in the chips; just like Chevy did with the 283/327 engines.
    Evo's like a little custom mods but if you go overboard and try to get a tire burning screamer out of it you will shorten the engine life considerably.
    A good cam and a good port/polish job will make that EVO scream and will give a long happy relationship with your ride. Ain't nothing worse than setting on the side of the road with a blown engine.
  11. BIGJOHN68

BIGJOHN68 New Member

Definitely agree with you there sarge7, my baby's been good for 66,000 miles and never left me stranded! And get this I get 50 miles per gallon all day long! I've hit 60 mpg on a cool day taking my time on a nice easy two lane a couple times!
  12. BIGJOHN68

BIGJOHN68 New Member

Hey guys, I've been researching all the great ideas you gave me, just thought I'd share one I found: bigboyzcycles in Maine.

I know you can't judge a mechanic by his website, but I did really like how he had everything broken down so I know exactly what I'm getting and how much it's gonna cost.
  13. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

thanks bigjohn.......and continued good luck with the evo!!
  14. BIGJOHN68

BIGJOHN68 New Member

Whoops...............bragged a little too soon, just went thru my first tank of gas with the new cam................36 miles per gallon. But I was on the throttle 100% of the time enjoying my new-found power.