1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

SE II Slip=On's

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by dcjle@bellsouth.net, Aug 18, 2004.

1. dcjle@bellsouth.net

dcjle@bellsouth.net New Member

There have been a number of posts about various Slip-On mufflers, and Slip-On's VS complete exhaust systems. The general consensus seems to be that SE Slip-On's are not much of an improvement over stock. How about the SE II Slip-On's?? How do they compare, sound and performance wise, with other Slip-On's like Pythons, Khromewerks, etc?
  2. kidd

kidd New Member

if you are going to go, go big ! I have pytons 3 and love them
  3. hgeiger910

hgeiger910 New Member

SE Slip Ons

I just had the opportunity the previous weekend to hear my own bike riding next to me (a buddy of mine asked me to ride my bike to check if he likes the Electra Glide Classic before he buys it - I rode his Road King). I must admit that I never realized how weak / bad / ****ty my bike sounds compared to others. He runs the Vanes & Hines (ovals for dressers) and I have the SE slip ons. His pipes sound throaty and nice, mine sounds like stones rattling in an aluminum can :( . I will be off to the dealer next week and am getting rid of those SE.
    :rolleyes:
  4. Painter55

Painter55 New Member

I just installed the Vance and Hines Pro Pipe on my '04 Heritage, and !WOW! what a difference in sound and performance! I considered the slip-on arrangement first, but everyone I consulted recommened the full exhaust set-up to get the best results. There is more to it than sound. Consider the power increase as well as the ramification of retuning your fuel system when modifying your pipes.

Yo, down the road,

Painter.
  5. kidd

kidd New Member

I dont know why people put SE anything on. because eventully they take it off and put on what they should have done in the first place :confused:
  6. MODCOBRA

MODCOBRA New Member

I just put the Vance & Hines slip-ons on my dresser and I just absolutely love the new sound. Seat of the pants feels a little stronger too but could be my imagination..lol.

Ben
  7. CD

CD Guest

Used to be that Cycle Shack made the SE mufflers. They were outstanding performers and were basically the same as their own slip on mufflers. Then, the new SE and SEII came out, (made by V&H by the way) and changed things around. The second generation of SE made by V&H were as good as the originals and had great sound. Along comes our EPA friends and all sorts of wrangling over legal and illegal products sold by H-D directly. Now, we have the Screaming Eagle division as a separate unit, so H-D does not sell aftermarket crossed flag parts directly. Separate catalog etc. The SEII mufflers were just the beginning of the whole mess.

If you think that is bad, hold on to your hats 'cause the EPA and California are coming after us in 2006-2010.
  8. hgeiger910

hgeiger910 New Member

I used to own a 98 FXD Superglide with SE slip-ons. Great sound, great performance improvement over stock. So I thought that I would go again with the same ones on my Electra Glide. :(
    If I'd know Bike Talk before, I'd saved a lot of grief and money.
    Oh well. Next time, I'm smarter (yeah, right, whatever - the significant other from the back :p )
  9. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

Yo Kidd,

I don't why they make motorcycles in any color other than black. Black bikes rule.

I don't know why HD makes any big twins other than Dynas..........lightweight, frisky, and powerful.

I don't know why Fruit of The Loom makes t-shirts in any other color besides white. White t-shirts are cool.

Fact is, I've had Vance and Hines and Samson's both on Harleys in the past and didn't like either. I much prefer the sound of SE and that's what I've put on the two most recent bikes I bought. Granted, I'm running SE now which are three years old so they may not sound so good anymore.

Point of the story...........to each his own.
  10. Painter55

Painter55 New Member

This pipe, that pipe, your pipe, my pipe.....

Whatever. As long as you don't run stock any more.

I have a few words to say about the EPA: D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. ?

When the EPA deals with big rigs, buses and trains belching thick black smoke first, then I might consider something they have to say about motorcycles.

Louder and Proud....

Painter
  11. kidd

kidd New Member

yes you are right personal preference is allways the way to go since your the one paying for it ;)
  12. tinsin

tinsin New Member

Kidd, you like those Python 3's ? was concidering slip ons for now. Like the look of Samson street sweepers and ground pounders, but it's more than just looks. I like a deep pounding sound .... like a Shovelhead. That is classic ! Love my Dyna.
  13. Pariah

Pariah New Member

I started with stock pipes (duh) on My FLSTSI, then went to SE's. After you run them a while the sound does improve as they "burn in", but still not to my liking. Now I run Supertrapp 3" with fishtails and they sound great.
    Loud pipes save Lives!
  14. CD

CD Guest

The EPA and you......

Heh, DILIGAS, DILIGAF either way they'll FYITA whether you like or not. We can either stand by and pretend it won't happen and then whine as the EPA mandates DB and smog inspections in a few years or join the AMA, ABATE and other groups that fight for your rights.

It is easy to say you won't comply or whatever but when they are hauling
    your pride and joy off to impound and you off to the cooler then what?

If Kerry gets in, expect even tighter standards and no wavering in the schedule so vote!

Besides, I love riding behind a Semi belching Diesel fumes. Reminds me of the flight line and all the JP4 burning....cough, cough...NOT!:mad:
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

CD is correct,

We've been lucky so far, but now that HD craze is spreading and more and more motorcycles hit the road, then somebody takes a look.

Louder method of pipes simply causes those that hate loud pipes to fight harder, if they can't get sound barriers (difficult to enforce) they go EPA, so you can't tamper without issues.

In some parts of the country we don't have EPA stations, but that too will change, In germany they have big problems with police stopping to inspect muffler systems, etc.

Coming, heck it's already here.
  16. joejoe

joejoe New Member

CD,
    I have an '01 FXD and am looking to put on new pipes. If I wanted SE or SEII pipes that were made prior to the EPA changing them, what year pipes should I be looking for?