1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sears openend ratchet wrench

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jun 30, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

There is a guy that I used to work with recently that quit so he could start up with Snap-On. I have easy access to them. DId you know that those drivers are all individually owned. Franchised.
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

And for that guy to drive the airconditioned truck and make money hes gonna have to charge the heck out of you for a Snap ON tool.:D
  3. JohnnyBiker

It makes sense as to why they are so expensive. I would buy snap on if I didn't have to give a one of my pebbles for the tool. Same with mac. :D
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I was a MAC Tools owner until 2000. I owned my MAC Tools business for over 10 years and times I wished I still had it. Snap on is a franchise where MAC is a distributorship and is owned by the driver. No franchise fees like Snap on or Matco so the price is less than Snap on. MAC prices are actually a lot less than Snap on is. Our HOG chapter director is now the Mac Tools district manager out here and he keeps on trying to get me to purchase a route again. If I was younger I might do it, was a lot of fun doing it.
  5. BikinDave

BikinDave New Member

Glad to see a post on those ratchet wrenches, was wondering how well they worked. When ya do alot of wrenchin those kinda specialty tools are a real lifesaver!
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If you wrench for a living, better tools are a key to making money.

Everything is about accuracy, speed, and completing a task without damage.

Good tools, properly organized and having the tools necessary make jobs
    go faster, if you get paid off the book, you need to find a way to get the
    job done under book time.

If you need a 1/2 open end and you can't find the sucker for 10 to 15 minutes you
    could kill the profit on that job or, miss the next job because you are still working
    on the other.

Mac and Snapon make big bucks selling that concept.

There are significant differences in the tools, the system etc...

Home wrench, craftsman is fine.
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

One very big reason why MAC, Snap-On or Matco do well is because they go to the shop so the mechanic does not have to go anyplace else. Very convenient for the mechanic. Plus any warranty issues they may have.
    I really like my ratchet wrenches but they are not a substitute for a good open end box wrench. Good tools make the mechanic money but also good tools keep the hands in better shape by not breaking or slipping off a bolt.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

yep plus they finance LOL
  9. JohnnyBiker

Craftsman is all I will own, unless I have to absolutely buy a specialty wrench.
  10. BikinDave

BikinDave New Member

Better tools save your knuckles and skin, Priceless!
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i started buying snap on in 71'.......and continued untill around 2000............then a bad fire in the shop ruined them all....and i had a lot of specialty diesel tools....to move them i needed to make two trips in a 8 ft bed truck..............and no insurance.... doin craftsman now