1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sears Red Jack

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jan 4, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Ordered a Condor Pitstop Trailer Stop from realhog.com for 211.00. Drive the bike in it, run the jack under the bike and lift it off the floor.
  2. duke76

duke76 New Member

I was undecided on jacks and heard a lot of people not happy with the sears red jack that you had to tip the bike up to get it ti slide under, well this summer i was in sears and they had them on sale for 59 dollars, I made my mind up right there, it went home with me, I havent had any problems with it, I am surprised they can make one like that for that kind of money, I dont think I could make one myself at that price, Acouple of days later a couple guys that i ride with came over and we were going for a ride and I showed them my new purchase, well the next day sears sold 2 more of them jacks.
  3. gutierg

gutierg New Member

I checked the aluminum jack from Sears today. That will probably be my choice but not at $169. Sears is apparently going to have a tool sale soon, then I'll jump on it.

The aluminum version has a 1500 Lb lifting capacity, it has heavy duty rubber cushions for the frame underneath and it also has straps. The actual jack weighs in at a very light 42 Lbs. Not a bad choice, all I need is a sale and I'll be there.

Regards,
    German
  4. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

I got the yellow one like you desribe and it was on sale for 149. i might add it fits under the bike sitting on side stand np. It also has to sets of rubber jack pads with straps
  5. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Having said that, the yellow jack is pretty cool, but they have the red one on sale at Sears.com for $69.00 right now. Hmmm?

All you have to do is buy it online, and pick it up at the store.

Regards,
    German
  6. cardboard

I couldn't break down and spend 100.00 extra for the yellow jack. Tippin the bike ain't that big of a deal for me, I do it with 1 hand.
    My Red Jack came with rubber bumpers if I remember right. It ain't steel on top, It has good strong straps. I like that it has a foot pump or a hand pump. It has stops to lock the jack in place. If the jacks leaks at all its under warranty for a year. After that I can take the pump out and have it rebuilt at a jack shop or replace it. All it needs to do is lift the bike off the ground. It has no problem doing that. Its just a jack. Don't be scared of a jack, its what happens after you use the jack to worry about.
    I don't use the jack everyday. If I did I would of gotten a 400.00 jack I've seen at the Lonestar RAlly in Galveston where the guy shoves the jack under the bike and drags the bike all over the place and don't use any straps.
  7. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Bought mine over the weekend on sale for $139.99, had a couple of discount cuopons and ended up getting it for $119.00. What a great little tool this yello jack is, I can pick up the V-Rod no problem from either side, it allows me to roll in and spin the bike without any difficulty.

You have to be patient while lowering the bike, rotate the handle counterclockwise slowly and the bike will come down easy. Great addition to do work, cleaning or simply moving the bike in the garage.

Regards,
    German
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

glad it is working out for you!!! it is nice to be able to work off the floor!!:)
  9. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Well, you are probably going to laugh, but before I got the jack, I used to clean a portion of the rear wheel, then move the bike forward or backward so that I can get to the rest of it. How messed up is that? :D

Now, all I do is spin the wheel while the bike is up and get my wheel cleaning done a whole lot faster. Lets face it, I love clean chrome and clean aluminum wheels, but it is not my favorite activity!

Regards,
    German
  10. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

I GOT MY RED JACK ON SALE LAST MONTH. WORKS OK, I DON'T LIKE THE GROOVED TOP WHERE THE FRAME SITS, I'VE ALREADY HAD PROBLEMS WITH IT SITTING INPROPERLY. I DON'T USE THE STRAPS BECAUSE MY BIKE ISN'T AS BIG AS A HOUSE, AND I DON'T WANT TO CUT THEM. OTHER THAN THAT MY BIKE HAS BEEN SITTING ON IT FOR A MONTH NOW IN PIECES AND HASN'T FALLEN OVER YET:roflmao:
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I have heard from more than one source that the yellow sears jack descends very quickly so you have to be very careful when letting it down, which it sounded like you learned already.
  12. gutierg

gutierg New Member

I also have a 2 Ton jack for my car, and I learned from that one years ago that you better ease off when releasing the hydraulic pressure from the cylinder, otherwise your car/motorcycle will drop like a brick (not a good thing). So I open up the release screw very slowly. Works well.

Regards,
    German
  13. HDfltri06

HDfltri06 New Member

I bought one from JC Whitney works for me
  14. cardboard

For the money a sears Red jack will do most of what everybody wants. It ain't perfect but for the money if you use the jack and the safety they work pretty good.
    They do need to be strapped down for SAFTEY. Even a light bike up in the air, if it comes over on you it can pin you and hurt you. Its a bear trap ! Practise safety so you don't git hurt and can't ride. If a light bike comes off the jack and you are bent over cleaning it can break yer leg or ankle or hit you in the head. If not for you protect the bike.
    If you have a lot more money to spend and you use a jack a lot go git a better jack. Go to a motorcycle show like the Lone Star Rally. There will be Vendors there with all kinds of jacks to slide them under the bike and drag them around. But hold yer breath when you git a price.

:rant: :cussing:
  15. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

I've had the red jack for about three years now and have used it quite a lot. It works just fine. My buddy got the aluminum one because it goes a little lower for his rigid. It actually seems a little more shaky with the bike on it than the red one to be honest.
  16. gutierg

gutierg New Member

My buddy and his 03 Road King are coming over this weekend, we are going to lift it with the yellow jack and we'll see how it works. I have heard that it works very well. I'll post images if I can.

Regards,
    German
  17. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Don't get me wrong. The yellow one works fine too. But if you had them side by side, the red one feels a bit more stable is all. The yellow one goes an inch or so lower too.

For really low bikes, I just roll em up onto 2x6's with angles cut on them like little ramps.

They don't work as well on Sportsters because of the way the frame is built. The Softail and Rigid frames sit firmly in place on them. I haven't tried any swing arm frames except a Suzuki. That I had to cut a couple of small wedges for it to sit right.