1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sent email to dealer

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Dec 26, 2010.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I sent a email last night to one of the local dealers to see how much a wireing harness is for my bike , to change it over to a carb & dump the efi system Not sure what all I 'll need besides the carb & wireing
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

What kind of problems you having with the EFI system on it.
  3. cowboy

FLHT it's not the EFI itself , it's all the darn money it takes to keep it up & tuned right :cussing:haveing it dynoed ain't cheap & the tuners like PC % ot thunder max are hight dollor as well , I can change the jets for just a few bucks (10 or less) where the rest will cost $200 & way up from there , & last year when the butterfly broke on the efi body I gort lucky & a guy from bike talk had one for just $150 shipped to me where if I had to buy new it would have been up word of $300 from a dealer & then I would have to put all my injecters & sencers on it
  4. FLHTbiker

I hear yea on that. My 01 carbed Springer is perfect. When I had the 95 done to it the dealer wanted to dyno it and I laughed, point less. Kens carb kit I put in was a perfect match to the 95 inch. They wanted 495.00 for a dyno tune :rolleyes: would have been useless except to tell me how much power it was putting out. Didn't really care, bike runs great. I don't need to have a bike with mega power, just one that runs good yet is strong enough.
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Talk to Tom (Tomflhcri98), he did the conversion a year ago and he could probably give you all the good bad and ugly of doing this. His conversion was from the 98 Magneti Marelli style fuel injection rather than Delphi but many of the steps should be the same. You'll need to change your ignition module, manifold, and fuel petcock so in the end you could end up spending quite a bit to get you carbed.

I think Tom documented much of it in the following thread.
    http://bike-talk.com/forum/projects/9592-converting-mm-fi-carb.html
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Found a parts list for doing the conversion...looks like it could add up to a few $$$

main harness 70997-06,
    ICM 32622-04B,
    coil 31655-99,
    carb 27412-99D not sure if choke cable is included,
    manifold 27613-06,
    top motor mount 16315-99,
    tank adapter 62842-00,
    o-ring 11323,
    petcock 61338-02,
    washer 62172-02,
    nut 62161-02,
    filter 62170-02,
    top plate 75040-06,
    gasket 61402-02,
    10 screws 1311D,
    harness 70369-06,
    some fuel line, intake gaskets and some clamps.
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

8. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Cowboy,
    I have some of the parts you might need. I have one CV carb that has never been modifed off an 02 Fatboy (wife's) has maybe 5,000 mikes on it. I also have an ingition ECM off a 2005 fatboy that has maybe a 100 miles on it, came off my bike. I had a manifold off an EVO but I just sent it to joshbob an hour ago, if he's not going to use it maybe he will send it to you. I also have a SE air cleaner system that might work for you.
    Good Lucky with the switch over.
  9. cowboy

Thanks to all I keep it all in mind , wating return email from dealer on the wireing harness & going from there , i know it will cost a bit up to swap over but in the long run it will save money on dyno's & tuners :D lucifer thanks for the link i'am sure it will help
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Just modify the harness you have, SM has the layout, it can be done
    did it on DougsRK a 98 MM EFI that is now an Elbruto 113.

Used the stock harness...

Remove the ECM, you can leave the wires for it or cut them out
    however that will keep you from going back to the EFI.
  11. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Seems like a lot to do for a small return, and it's risky. I always think when you change something that a bike's not meant for, unexpected problems often show up. Your time is money too, don't forget. I'd see if there's somewhere to cut back just a little, or make just a little more money to keep up with it. The way I see it, the problem's not with the bike,it's the cost of maintenance, so why fix what ain't broke. Just my two cents here, no criticism intended. I had a really hard time keeping up with my garage payments,($230 a month) on top of my loan and upgrades, so I can appreciate what you're dealing with.
  12. FLHTbiker

Get yourself a condo with a single car garage, if you can.
  13. cowboy

Thanks HRk i'am just starting to look ito it deeper now & decided this is the way i'am going I'am running in slow motion still after I had all that weight fall on my so Now it's reading time
    hellboy , yes it 's the cost of doing all the tuning & tuners thats has me going this way , My 03 came eather as a EFI or carb model ,& every thing I'am doing is a basic swap like a plug & play , & can recupe some of it back by selling or trading the take off parts , My dealer call me today about the email I sent them & said all in all it should be about $500 for parts so between here & swap meets I should do it for less which I need to do & I can do the work myself ,big money saver there on labor :D
  14. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Cowboy, I'm not going to use the carb manifold HarleysLR sent me. If you want it, it's yours.
  15. cowboy

joshbob that sounds good ,I'll pm you my info thank you :cool:
  16. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Thanks for chimming in on that joshbob.
  17. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Well Cowboy, that doesn't sound too bad. And I see your point if it was designed for either EFI or not.

FLHT, man, are you ever right. I wish I could live just outside Manhattan in my own place with a garage. My kind of work means I have to live in Manhattan. A condo here with a garage is at least a million dollars, and that's just a one bedroom stinkhole. I'm not kidding. Still, I love it here and hope I can find my way back the wind and the road sooner than later.
  18. FLHTbiker

A million bucks, wow the Real Estate values there don't sound to be suffering to much. That really sucks, I couldn't live there
  19. cowboy

hellboys right , my wife watches those real estate buying shows & I've seen the condos from NY in there A two bed room about 1100 sq ft for 3 mill :eek:& it needed repairs
  20. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, our free enterprise system can and is being taken advantage of by greedy, unscrupulous realtors.