1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sent email to dealer

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Dec 26, 2010.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

now that would be cool :cool:
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Yer going backward ..........:rant:
  3. cowboy

Not going backwards going to something I know has been tried & true for many years & wont brake the bank to tune when I want to change somthing ,I can't afford A new tuner or to take it to the dyno every time I want to change the pipes or any other engine part :eek::gah:
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Hey CowBoy, tell CB what ya think about the EFI and the carb when comes to the mountains?? EFI is better right???:roflmao::D
  5. cowboy

When the efi is set right it works real good , But you can't change anything or you have to reach in your wallet for a dyno tune , I like to change pipes ever few months or so , just for the change & can't do that with out pissen away a bunch of money , both chuchtx & myself call pc & they told us both should not have to remap for the cam's that chuck put in for me guess what it needs a remap now so havent riden since the first week of Nov to the lone star rally , once it warms up it stops running at idel , have to restart it & out riding , can't tune it off or it won't start till it cools off :banghead: so stopping for gas or a beer not happen :banghead:& it got so hot once at the rally it just stopped running :banghead: give me a carb & i can adj or change the jets to any pipes I have :D
  6. JohnnyBiker

My buddy that has an 06 Heritage talks so much shiiit about carbs. He says that he likes them better than what he does efi, but will not touch anything unless it has efi!!!:wtf:

We got into this huge debate that a carb would not last up in the mountains. What does everyone think of that???? BYW, I told him he was full of crap!!!
  7. cardboard

Here's what a friend said about his bike man. Look before you jump.

1991 FXR with a Kiehin CV.

She left me on the side of the road yesterday for a bit. I have been experiencing problems running rich, spitting and sputtering, lagging at the beginning of acceleration. Wide open she ran great. Yesterday gas started dripping from the carb while I was about 30 miles from the house. A few miles down the road and my leg was soaked. The float was stuck. I got her running enough to make it home after dicking with it for an hour or so.

Don't think Carbs are problem free man.
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if it has wheels or tits.................its gonna give ya problems!!!

anything mechanical needs maintenance. if you have the tools or money to take care of efi that is great. i can take care of any non efi machine because i have the tools and knowledge to do it. i am unable to take care of efi because the equipment needed to maintain them is too costly.

johnny, a cv carb will self adjust to most any altitude you can ride to.....
  9. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

We live at 6,000 ft. every where we go is either up or down in altitude. I never have to change jetting and the bike runs great all the time, by now most people I ride with have EFI's they don't out run me and they sure don't get the mileage that I get. Just to get to Denver 70 miles away we have to top a hill that is 8,500 ft in elevation and going to Pueblo 40 miles away we drop down to 4,000 ft in elevation. never a hiccup or a sputter. Even going to the west coast or down to Texas I don't change anything.
  10. cardboard

The Thundermax with Auto Tune can tune itself. It can change the map, YOu can change the timing.
    It is far away from the PC.
    You buy a header pipe for a 07 bike.
    We hare already have taken a PCV off a 2010 Stret Glide.
    Suppose to find a welding shop this mornin and takin the pipes to have bungs Tig Welded in.
    Then when you screw the WB o2 sensors in all we got to do is plug the wires into the plugs and crank the bike.
    Eastern performance has a pretty good price on them.
    You don't have to have the unit for Throttle by Wire so the TM will be a lot cheaper for you.
    We put the TM in yesterday.
  11. chucktx

how much money ya talkin to do all the stuff ya just posted??
  12. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Bingo....a stuck float isn't a major problem...a couple of taps with a screwdriver handle could have unstuck it for him....Carbs are a hell of a lot cheaper to maintain and adjust when you change pipes or breather or both....you don't have to run to Mr. Dynoman and fork over a few hundred bux to re tune.
    But what the heck do I know...after 3 yrs with an EFI cop king from hell....my next bike(not the shovel) is going to be a '97 or '98 carbed Evo bagger
    EFI bikes never have a fuel problem ???
  13. cardboard

799.00 for the TM TBW, he don't need the TBW, He heeds the one for the 07 model and before.
    Harley Davidson Parts | Harley Davidson Accessories | Kuryakyn | Motorcycle Parts

I bought a all balls 1.4 kw starter that was chrome for 299.00

The bungs are cheap.
    Ya just drill a hole with a hole saw and have em tig welded in.
    Set everything on the TM up with a notebook computer.
    There's video's all over Youtube.
    It comes with a 3 yr warranty too.
  14. chucktx

ya didnt include the welders labor....about 80 bucks an hour.....or your time running around getting the parts, and other stuff. so for a grand, you can get the bike running good...................know how many bottle of jack i can buy for that kind of money????? and cv tune up kits???? cant see it man....:banghead:
  15. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Gee CB, that's sure is a lot of extra crap and way to much money. I got one of both and I really like the simplicity of the carb on my 01 Springer. Man it is just so simple and many are right you don't need a Dyno to adjust the carb.
    My 99 Carbed Roadking when I first bought it I was kind of disappointed it was not EFI and when I rode it to Sturgis the first time it had no issues going over the Rockies and going over Bear Tooth pass at over 10,000 feet.

Now I'm more disappointed in all the EFI stuff on my new bike. I ran the Polar Bear ride and when I filled it up the gas mileage was at 32, which means the tuner guy set it to rich. The ends of the mufflers are sooting up real bad so guess what it has to go back to the dealer arrr, put a carb on it.:witsend:

I like your comment Chuck: if it has wheels or tits.................its gonna give ya problems!!! :D
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  16. chucktx

"I like your comment Chuck: if it has wheels or tits.................its gonna give ya problems!!!"

well................it will!!!
  17. cowboy

Ya they will & they seen not to care either :witsend: & for only about a grand I can tune a bike :gah: & for about $100 I can install a cv performance carb kit & forget about it & still have about $900 to buy some black jack :D& other part's or even take the wife out to dinner :D so for under the 1 grand I can put the carb on & running & tune my own bike & still have a bottle of B jack & have a good time with momm, a:D:cool:& still have money for the $4-5 gal of gas to go riding :D:cool: So untill they come up with a better EFI system I'am running a card , I have tried the EFI sytem for 5 yrs now & it sucks
  18. JohnnyBiker

That is what I tried to tell him. He kinda like CB, don't listen that great. :gah::roflmao:
  19. JohnnyBiker

CB,

I think the whole point of chucktx's question is not really a question. In the beginning of this thread, CowBoy stated that he wanted to change over to a carb because of the expense of the EFI. You disagreed, but look at all the things that you have to do now in order to get it to run right!! With all of this stuff you are putting on, are you 100% sure that your bike will run the way that it is supposed to or up to your high perf standards???
  20. JohnnyBiker

FLHT, I liked how you pointed out how your pipes are sooting up really bad because you are running too rich. I was talking to a couple of guys at work and they were talking about how their bike got such bad gas milage. They have EFI. I asked what they were getting which is average about 35. I looked at their pipes and they were black. I looked at mine and they are clean as can be. Before I did my last performance upgrade I was getting a lot of soot, but now that I have everything running right, I could almost eat from the inside of my pipes.

Do you think that most dyno guys are purpose;y tuning them to be rich to help keep the bike cool though???