1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sent email to dealer

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Dec 26, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I bet you can taste it now??? The VOES should be an inexpensive buy or is there going to be some kind of issue because your bike isn't stock with a carb?
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

From what I have read there about $70-80 at the dealer ,I saving up to pay for part's , & working on the wife's house to keep my mind off the bike except for the money for parts :banghead:, We have change the mud room into a bed room for my Daughter & just finched a closet on a out side wall , had to build it from scratch ,& next we have to move the back door over about 6-7 ft , take out a window & install a new back door , then move on the next room , finish up the back bath , I made it usable after Ike two years ago ,But that's all I could do at the time cause my son-in-law & daughter moved into the mud room & two more grandkids came with them :D, we have all the stuff to get it done except time & I'am making that ,weather permitting :eek:
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Do they require you to get permits to do any of that work where your at.
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I don't think the TC's use a VOES switch. I think the advance may be determined by the MAP sensor and ignition module....maybe someone with a carbed TC can tell you for sure. Couldn't find a lead for a VOES in any of the wiring diagrams and my bud can't recall there being one on his '00 carbed TC, only vacuum line he can recall is for the vacuum operated petcock.
  5. JohnnyBiker

The VOES has to wired in somehow. Even if he is switching to a carb?? He has to have something that signals the advance properly. will the MAP work properly with a carb?
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

From Daytona Twin Tec site

What is the VOES switch?

The VOES switch senses manifold pressure. Most carbureted H-D� models manufactured from 1980-98 and some later Sportsters� use a VOES switch to increase ignition timing advance during idle and cruise conditions.

[​IMG]

Carbed TC's use a MAP sensor which measures manifold pressure,so I'm thinking the MAP sensor replaced the VOES switch on '99 -up Harley BT's
  7. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Lucifer is correct there is no VOES switch on a 2000 & later Carbureted model big twin.
    Per 2005 softail service manual, Page 8.3 - 8.5
    Ignition timing is controlled by the ignition module based on input from;
    Manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP)
    Crank Position Sensor (CKP)
    There is no adjustment required. Should a sensor fail, the resulting diagnostic code will identify the problem.
    The MAP is located in the intake manifold.

The vacuum line on the back of the carb goes to the fuel petcock, at least on the two I have in the garage.

Dave,
    If you change your mind about the EFI to Carb switch just send the parts back.
  8. cowboy

Thank's guys That's some good info to use , Don't think I'll change my mind ,I have tried the EFI for going on 5 years now & it just not for me every time you want to change something on the engine you have to kick out $2-3oo bucks & a motorcycle should not need tthat just to tune when you want to change pipes /or cams , when a jet at the most is a lot easyer to change & a lot less expences If & when they come up with a EFI that will be owner frendly & a guy can set it at home without a high doller machine , then I 'll go back to it I know a few riders with the same type bike as me buy have a carb & the over all performence is better as well as there MPG :rant:
  9. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

the intake manifold for an EVO may not work, it doesn't have a place for the MAP sensor to fit into.
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Carb conversion works.

Have u got a powercommander?

Get one from fuelmoto and if u change stuff they will send u a new map no Dyno needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. cowboy

One more part came in ,I bought a new take off coil ,$13 shipped to the house , I also bought a ING model S Eagle , working on a few other parts ,slow but sure on getting it all ,The wife has some medical problums & new year for the insurence co so Have to meet the deduckable again & she will always come first :D
  12. FLHTbiker

Yep, family should come first hope she is going to be OK.:)
  13. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

OL told me yesterday were gonnna git a little money back from Income tax.
    She's gonna give me 1/2 of it. I will be able to put some money with it and git me a Thunde-rmax.
  14. cowboy

Thank's she has a degenert(sp) bone deciese had one hand fixed about a year ago & now it in her gums & teeth & there doing a complete bine scan On her hips & legs , bacely from head to toe she works for a state collage & has good insurnce but obamacare has forced them into changeing some of the coverage :rant::rant::cussing: & my disabitly /fixed income does'nt pay enough to help cover it :(
  15. JohnnyBiker

So much for not doing anything to the bike huh???:wtf:
  16. JohnnyBiker

Take care of the wife, that is most important, I hope she feels ok to where she can get around and enjoy life a little?
  17. cardboard

My wife can take care of herself.

Ever lived in Texas.
    Gone threw the summers when its 99* during the day or hoter and in the
    80's at nite and the humidity is in the 80% range.
    Ever felt the heat off a Catalyst converter on yer leg and other parts during the summer.
    If you want to ride in the heat with it then git you a new bike and do it.
    If so you would know why people take the catalyst converters off.
    Ask FLHT why he toook his off.
    Well if you take it off and put a High flow air box on, you got to have something to compensate for it. If not you might just wind up with a HOLE in the PISTON.
    I ain't waitin for summer for the heat.
    A dude has got to do what a dude has got to do.

If'n we didn't have the EPA screwin up the world we wouldn't be going threw this.
    ONe day folks are going to rise up against the EPA. If not you will see a lot of BAD things happening. People has been losing jobs already on account of them.

If you ride Factory HD bikes, if you talk to them. They will tell you right off the Bat. To ride one of these bikes you got to take the CAt and EPA stuff off.
    When we can't take em off anylonger. Its time to sell everything to the EPA.
    When the day comes to you can't change anything on a bike it will be time to STOP BUYING them.

Let Multi Million Dollar businesses CLOSE UP. People loose jobs and homes and the goverment to take care of them till the goverment folds.
    Then mabe just mabe the People will shut the EPA and AL Gore up.
    I ain't gonna be around that long.
    Like Chucktx said were already antiques......
  18. JohnnyBiker

I was talking about Cowboys wife!:rant:
  19. cardboard

O.K. Hows this.

Ever lived in Texas.
    Gone threw the summers when its 99* during the day or hoter and in the
    80's at nite and the humidity is in the 80% range.
    Ever felt the heat off a Catalyst converter on yer leg and other parts during the summer.
    If you want to ride in the heat with it then git you a new bike and do it.
    If so you would know why people take the catalyst converters off.
    Ask FLHT why he toook his off.
    Well if you take it off and put a High flow air box on, you got to have something to compensate for it. If not you might just wind up with a HOLE in the PISTON.
    I ain't waitin for summer for the heat.
    A dude has got to do what a dude has got to do.

If'n we didn't have the EPA screwin up the world we wouldn't be going threw this.
    ONe day folks are going to rise up against the EPA. If not you will see a lot of BAD things happening. People has been losing jobs already on account of them.

If you ride Factory HD bikes, if you talk to them. They will tell you right off the Bat. To ride one of these bikes you got to take the CAt and EPA stuff off.
    When we can't take em off anylonger. Its time to sell everything to the EPA.
    When the day comes to you can't change anything on a bike it will be time to STOP BUYING them.

Let Multi Million Dollar businesses CLOSE UP. People loose jobs and homes and the goverment to take care of them till the goverment folds.
    Then mabe just mabe the People will shut the EPA and AL Gore up.
    I ain't gonna be around that long.
    Like Chucktx said were already antiques......
  20. FLHTbiker

Remember JB, he only reads what he wants and skips around:rolleyes: :D